Why is there so much home schooling?

Options

Replies

• Kasmira0004
    Kasmira0004 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    In regards to the social skills argument of homeschooling, I will say that I went to public school k-12 and I'm the most awkward person you'll ever meet. Yeah, being around other peers sure did help me. Ha.

I do plan on homeschooling my kids for many reasons, though.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I think that many people who have no exposure to homeschooling have an incomplete view of the options and resources available to homeschoolers. The image of a kid sitting at the kitchen table alone all day, reading a textbook and completing worksheets Mom wrote for him, just isn't accurate. The homeschooled kids I've known spent lots of time out doing things -- visiting the local Science Center, taking "family field trips" to the state or national Capitol, taking workshops at the local university. Many of them participated in league sports with local high school, charter, or club ball teams; some sang in a performance choir, played in a local symphony, or danced with a studio. If anything, they got more social exposure than those who spent their days in a classroom with the same little group of kids all day. As to curriculum, several colleges offer free elementary and secondary courses; some offer not-so-free diploma programs. If I could go back and do everything over again (including that part where I had to have a full-time job to support my family and therefore didn't have the time), I would absolutely love to homeschool my kid. It would have been a wonderful way to engage his busy mind and support the outgoing nature that got stifled a bit in more traditional school settings.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to point out that the chances of your child being shot in school are far less than them being killed in a car accident, or choking to death, or shot by a gun in the home, or pretty much any other way they might be killed. Purely from a statistical perspective, school is one of the safest places they can be- physically, at least (mentally is another issue altogether). If you don't believe me, feel free to look up the stats yourself.
  • AnchoredinHimfitness
    Options
    This!

1. Yes, there are many "secular" homeschoolers. There are also Christian homeschoolers who chose homeschooling for non-religious reasons.

2. Not all public schools are "that bad". Some of us just feel that homeschooling is "that good".

3. Socialization is a red herring. Spending time with family, friends, neighbors, and community members offers ample practice at coping skills and self mastery.

It seems to be a trend, but I wouldn't call it a fad as it has always existed (children educated in their home by parents or somebody chosen by them). And I hope it isn't "the way of the future" because parents need choices. Not everybody can or should homeschool.
  • mikig1
    mikig1 Posts: 13
    Options
    i unschooled my 2 boys for a number of reasons. 1 being i felt that if i had to spend 5 hours fighting with them to do teacher assigned homework i may as well spend 5 hours homeschooling them. 2 my youngest HATED reading because the teacher assigned him juney b jones series to read. i let him choose what to read and it was a much easier fight for me to win ( he chose the red wall series and read every one as well as several other popular series ). and 3 when we got re sectioned into a new district and the first thing the new school asked was if i had them tested for ADHD even b4 their ages etc i knew that public school for my kids was over. it was hard, but we had 4H and the local public library and other home school families to share and socialize with. it worked for us.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Because we don't want to be indoctrinated, we just want our kids to learn.
  • Carissa145
    Carissa145 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Growing up, I was homeschooled and my sisters were too.

One of the main reasons for homeschooling is that the kid can go at their own pace. They also have opportunities that many public schoolers do not have, such as world traveling and being flexible with their times schedules.

All of my sisters are now out of college, and are very high up in the workforce. They were in honor societies in college and graduated with their bachelors/masters with a very high GPA-- almost a 4.0.

Even though homeschooling has worked out well for my family, most of the friends I had when I was younger who were homeschooled did lack in social skills, and were not always ready for college. This is the same way for public schoolers too, however.

While many do homeschool for religious reasons, academic reasons are on the rise in popularity, given how the public school system is falling apart.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    If I was in the US, I would homeschool my kid. I would not want my kid being shot up by some psychotic person while getting a mediocre education.

I am Canadian though.

We home-school, not to make them safer, but because we don't want them fed a bunch of rewritten history, and political indoctrination. Our home schooled kids are very successful and get into great colleges.
  • grandpoobah12
    Options
    I have four grandchildren state another who are home schooled by my daughter. Her reasons, while we are a religious family, are for non religious reasons. She simply wants to be able to educate the kids with her moral values. Many schools have assumed roles to influence children with a low standard of morals which, to her, is completely unacceptable.

Seems like that would be the other students and not the teachers or school teaching low moral standards. I am sure the teachers and the school policy are doing their best to teach good morals and patience to students.
  • grandpoobah12
    Options
    Because we don't want to be indoctrinated, we just want our kids to learn.

Indoctrinated into what? The cult of personality?
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    We homeschool our daughter. My husband and I are more educated and more intelligent than the teachers at the public school to which my child is zoned. We are not Christians. My husband does most of my daughter's homeschooling.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Also, I teach in the way my kids are tailored to learn. Agree that the word socialization is a joke among homeschoolers while still being a concern to those against homeschooling.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

...because we don't want them fed a bunch of rewritten history...

Yup

Every history book I've ever seen in public school curriculum is a joke. Revisionist history straight from Kindergarten through graduate courses. It's no wonder most graduates now barely have a basic understanding of reality, history, and economics. They were taught about a world that never existed.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    If I was in the US, I would homeschool my kid. I would not want my kid being shot up by some psychotic person while getting a mediocre education.

I am Canadian though.

While it's true that we have had a higher rate of these incidents in the US then the rest of the world combined, and we are falling behind most of the rest of the civilized world in our quality of education, it's actually a far greater risk to your child to simply walk out the front door of your home then it is to be in a school in the US.
    I'd just like to point out that the chances of your child being shot in school are far less than them being killed in a car accident, or choking to death, or shot by a gun in the home, or pretty much any other way they might be killed. Purely from a statistical perspective, school is one of the safest places they can be- physically, at least (mentally is another issue altogether). If you don't believe me, feel free to look up the stats yourself.

^^^Exactly.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    All the people I know that homeschool or unschool do an excellent job at it. Some are Christian, others are spiritual in a different way, and others are secular. Mostly Americans and I understand because I went through the American school system myself. Although homeschooling would have been worse since I was growing up in an abusive home.

I very much enjoyed the homeschooling in the preschool years and took my daughters with me for dancing and took them to science world weekly, and found learning opportunities in everyday life.

I live In Canada. My kids are school age now. The school my children go to is fantastic, with fantastic resources (accommodating both challenged and gifted children), they love it, and it helps them socially. I don't have any family or support, so it is good for us that I get a break and can continue with my own life endeavors (I am a happy, well rounded, and productive mother). I am glad they get to interact with other adults, and with children. The teachers and I are in regular communication. I even volunteer at the school to help teach dance for the dance club (along with my daughter's wonderful teacher, and she is also the head teacher at the school). It's a community school (so very good resources and community involvement). The Canadian school system is much better than in the States, but it may just be that I am in a good area.
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I was home schooled and plan on homeschooling my little ones. There was and is no religious basis for homeschooling. I have plenty of reasons for why I decided to home school, mainly government interference on how I raise my children. Along with that, the fact that our educational system is a joke amongst most industrialized nations. I have a cousin who is, for the lack of a more PC term, retarded. Seriously. He operates on a 3rd grade level at best, yet somehow he has a HS diploma from a public school. Really? I also went to college with a man who is now homeschooling his girls. They begged him to let them try public school, so he allowed it and within a month he said they got the worst attitudes and he took them right out again. I don't feel a stranger can teach my children any better than I can so why use this glorified daycare?
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    My niece, who is homeschooled, has Asberger and slight ADD, this allows her to be in an environment where she can learn.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Other than religious reasons, here are some common reasons that people I know have chosen to homeschool.

1) Substandard academics. In some cases this in conflated with outright racism -- one person I know pulled her (minority) kid after she was told that they wouldn't assign her to the honors class, yet white students with lower test scores were put in.

2) Children who are both gifted and have learning disabilities -- like a high IQ and being dyslexic or dysgraphic. Very frequently these students are getting C's in classes, which makes the school reluctant to provide them with accommodations, and yet not achieving anywhere near their potential.

3) Bullying, gang, or drug problems at the local public school.

4) A child with strong and passionate interests in a specific area -- sometimes academic, sometimes non-academic such as gymnastics, sports, dance, music, or volunteer work. In these cases, homeschooling allowed the child to do grade-level work in unrelated areas while advancing significantly further in their chosen area.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    This might be really ignorant, so please, forgive me:

I like the whole idea of higher IQ kids being able to go at a faster pace, that's a legitimate reason for homeschooling, as are some of the others I've read here ... but are any of you homeschooling because you don't "believe in evolution"? ... I've heard that people give this as a reason for homeschooling ... Just curious ... I would be suspect of the education such a child would receive, being that they aren't being taught actual science(You know, what's going to happen to them when the go to college?) ...

ETA: Personally, I think we should have more specialized high schools ... ones that cater to careers, not just vo-tech and mainstream high school ...
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    1. Yes, there are many "secular" homeschoolers. There are also Christian homeschoolers who chose homeschooling for non-religious reasons.

2. Not all public schools are "that bad". Some of us just feel that homeschooling is "that good".

3. Socialization is a red herring. Spending time with family, friends, neighbors, and community members offers ample practice at coping skills and self mastery.

It seems to be a trend, but I wouldn't call it a fad as it has always existed (children educated in their home by parents or somebody chosen by them). And I hope it isn't "the way of the future" because parents need choices. Not everybody can or should homeschool.

I am not a parent but I totally agree with these responses!!

I have seen good and bad homeschoolers over the years.

I used to manage an educational supply store where tons of homeschoolers bought their curriculum and supplementary materials. Some of them seemed so in control and on the ball. I could tell they were passionate about teaching, and open to getting outside help or resources when their abilities were pushed to the limit in one area or another... Others not so much. The worst was a woman who allowed her son (around age 7 or 8) to choose his own curriculum. When he selected a TEACHER'S MANUAL for 6th grade arithmetic, she said that was fine and that would be his math curriculum. Meanwhile the boy did not yet know basic addition & subtraction and she asked for flash cards for that. Wow.

I was a "gifted kid" and INCREDIBLY bored in school, especially K-6 - but all the way through K-12. I had major anxiety issues which were completely masked but quite miserable. I had loads of friends, made straight A's, etc...but I spent a good part of my time worrying obsessively about things like whether I'd catch the bus after school or lose my lunch money or find a partner in gym class. I would cry almost every morning before school about this sort of thing, until 4th or 5th grade when I internalized more of the stress and worries. Even though things generally went my way, I was often a nervous wreck while I was at school and it was exacerbated by my extreme boredom and lack of challenges in the classroom.

At home, I read obsessively and researched topics that we were not studying in school. My parents took me on vacation to historical spots that further fueled my need to learn! At school, I was often the teacher's helper and spent hours of my day grading my peers' work or helping other kids with their work (which I deeply resented). I remember being forced to watch movies (not educational movies) for hours and "recess" was a joke. Really only time and maturity helped with my anxiety. I think I would have been a LOT happier being homeschooled and still would have had ample socialization. A friend of mine who was also a "gifted kid" as they called it in the 80's and early 90's, was homeschooled and obtained her GED at 16. I would have loved that option!!! High school was a huge waste of time for me and I don't feel I learned anything in grades 8-12 that would have helped prepare me for college more than my K-7 education already had. So just another "take" on it...