Going to bed hungry?

Options

Replies

• rileyhunter169
    Options
    The reason it may work is that it increases likelihood of a calorie deficit. By no means is it detrimental so if you are hungry at bed time but you blew through all of your calories; then suck it up... Does not mean that eating before bed isn't optimal neither.. Peri workout nutrition timing is the only thing that may be important but even that is dependent upon yourself. Anyways; it's merely just a strategy for those to lazy to count calories basically; and be wary of personal trainers; the certification programs hand those things out like candy, be skeptical and do not hire coaches or trainers that don't have a degree in kinesiology or 2 years into it at least; there are exceptions to that rule of course, your personal trainer is probably not the exception.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I could swear I read this as one of Bob Harper's rules for weight loss. I'm actually all for it. If I'm hungry, and it's near bedtime, the most effective solution is to just go to bed. I never have trouble sleeping, and I don't wake up any hungrier for it. (If anything, if I eat a lot or too close to bedtime, I wake up hungrier in the morning.)
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    That's unnecessary torture! If you're truly hungry and not mindlessly eating, give your body what it needs to get a good rest!
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    That seems a bit unreasonable. Don't go to bed with a full stomach but be sure to make it there well before you're actually hungry.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I just signed onto "myfitnesspal" I need to at least lose 20 pounds by December 2 for some surgery. I started my loss Oct 16 and to date have lost 8 pounds. Yes, on going to bed hungry it does definitely make you lose weight. However, since I started this loss I am eating very small amounts of food and I am hungry most of the time but to get the weight loss its worth it for me.

Tamara

NOPE

A calorie deficit makes you lose weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

/end thread
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I just signed onto "myfitnesspal" I need to at least lose 20 pounds by December 2 for some surgery. I started my loss Oct 16 and to date have lost 8 pounds. Yes, on going to bed hungry it does definitely make you lose weight. However, since I started this loss I am eating very small amounts of food and I am hungry most of the time but to get the weight loss its worth it for me.

Tamara

NOPE

A calorie deficit makes you lose weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

/end thread
    ^
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Tamara

You lose weight with a caloric deficit not intentionally going hungry...... OP do not follow this.......
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I don't think if you are going to make this a changed way of life that you maintain you should be hungry, not at bed time or really not much at any other time. I eat large meals but not high calorie meals I will have a snack late but its not the quart of ice cream that it used to be but an apple or a plate with cheese celery and carrots some protein a little carbs and a fair amount of fiber. I am not hungry it aids digestion and it satisfies me. I did every diet there was and was hungry alot of the time and either lost some weight so went off the diet or got fed up with being hungry and went off the diet. I now eat a fair amount am not hungry and have lost a fair amount of weight, I am only losing about 20 to 25 pounds a year so I am close to a normal weight for me.
    I also exercise alot and that gives me the freedom to eat more or less as I choose
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I never go to bed hungry. Seems to be working for me.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    A couple whole wheat cracker and a couple good quality yummy pieces of cheese can go a long way to making for a happy bed time. Just don't over do it.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I'm wondering what she REALLY meant. Because like another poster said, if she meant that you've burned through all of your calories and you have none left and you just 'feel' a bit hungry then to go to sleep. OR, if she meant it a different way. Because I can see if you are eating a good amount of cals and you get to the day and you 'think' you might be a bit hungry to just drink something and hit the hay. But if you aren't at your cal limit and you TRULY feel hungry, I think a snack is good. Or if you have met your cals and feel TRUE hunger, then a snack is good. But too often, the reality is if we are eating well during the day and had an adequate dinner (and you aren't like me, a night owl who is up for HOURS after dinner) then you probably aren't experiencing true hunger then just go to sleep. My dinner is usually around 7 and I frequently am up to 1 or 2AM. So I do feel true hunger. I usually have hot tea and a couple of ginger cookies or some ice cream. Sometimes a smear of pb on some good crackers or some cheese and fruit. Whatever strikes my fancy. If it's real hunger, I just KNOW I won't sleep. Not only that, but I wake up feeling 'sick' during the night. So, you probably need to evaluate what you are eating during your day, figure out if you are having true hunger, and then if you are and it happens a lot, move your cals around to make it work. Because really, there is NO reason to not eat right before bed. Truly. It's more about your total over the day and then over the long haul. If anything, studies are showing that a small carby snack before bed helps the melatonin flow and you get better sleep.
  • forevertoday
    forevertoday Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I don't care if I go to bed hungry or not, If i've eaten my calorie allowance, tough. If I have not, then sure, piece of fruit or whatever. Not a big deal to me, I am mentally strong willed when it comes to food and my stomach making weird noises. :)
  • thmgoodw
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't go to bed hungry. BUT, there could be a benefit to consuming more of your calories earlier in the day than later in the day.

There was a study that looked at whether consuming more of your calories earlier in the day was more beneficial than consuming more calories later in the day. Those that consumed more calories earlier in the day had 3x more weight loss than those who consumed more calories at night. Each group consumed the same number of calories (1400), and with the same macronutrient breakdown. Glucose and insulin levels improved in both groups, but more so with those with the heavy early food intake.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957
  • thmgoodw
    Options
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I literally go to bed with a 500 calories snack and have done this from day 1 of my weight loss journey and have lost a few hundred pounds in the process so I think this fitness instructor better stick to fitness and not nutrition because meal frequency has No Bearing whatsoever on weight loss.... Best of Luck

This. All of this.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't go to bed hungry. BUT, there could be a benefit to consuming more of your calories earlier in the day than later in the day.

There was a study that looked at whether consuming more of your calories earlier in the day was more beneficial than consuming more calories later in the day. Those that consumed more calories earlier in the day had 3x more weight loss than those who consumed more calories at night. Each group consumed the same number of calories (1400), and with the same macronutrient breakdown. Glucose and insulin levels improved in both groups, but more so with those with the heavy early food intake.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512957
    meh
  • Tamara_Sh
    Options
    I need to lose in a short time span for surgery so going to bed hungry helps. It isn't so bad cause I fall asleep and then I am not hungry any longer. LOL I also look forward to some breakfast in the morning. :happy:

Further more, I do eat just not eating after 7 PM which is not a bad thing and I also know what I should and shouldn't eat to lose weight besides taking on much more exercise and that is why I am losing weight. I do know eating late at night is not a good thing! :ohwell:
  • SuccessHere
    SuccessHere Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I've heard that when you're hungry that means your fat cells are burning energy which is good. If you go to bed hungry you tell yourself that you can have a big healthy breakfast. It worked for me years ago. I don't know if it's the right thing to do. It does make sense to me.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    A fitness instructor friend of mine told me the best way to lose weight is to go to bed hungry. I've never done this but I wondered what your thought are on it?

That's plain silly. :laugh: It doesn't matter when you eat as long as you stay below your calorie goal.

Go to be hungry and you wake you wake up a grump. :bigsmile:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It will work but it's totally unnecessary so why put yourself through that? Meal timing is irrelevant.

Edited to add that it won't necessarily work.. Just if you're under your maintenance.