What contributed to your weight loss?

Options

Replies

• normabeezy
    normabeezy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lots of walking and staying under our calorie goal. By lots of walking, I mean, outdoors on a flat and/or hilly trail like at a partk where you can just go for miles. Walking and talking with a friend really passes the time. Before we knew it, we were walking 6, then 7, then 8 miles a day, 5 days a week. Both of us COULD ONLY DO THAT if we were walking outdoors and walking with someone and talking. It was easy since we both had about 1-1/2 hours dedicated after work. Of course this meant time away from our families but they are adults and they were my motivation. It is not easy if you are walking alone or walking on a treadmill and talking. It seems more laborous, more like a chore then. If you have a good friend or someone you can talk to for hours who likes walking, you have an advantage.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    1. Logging all of my food every single day.
    2. Eating at a calorie deficit.
    3 . Incorporating all of my favorite foods, nothing is forbidden if I can fit it into my daily calories.
    4. Not beating myself up if I over eat.
    5. Mini goals
    6. Taking a more relaxed approach this time.
    7. Having a "cheat" day about once a month.
    8 Exercising more.
    9. Never ever giving up.

These, all of 'em...except that I never really have a cheat day. I have super indulgent stuff about once a week and fit it into my cal total.
  • sjanejack
    sjanejack Posts: 158
    Options
    Drinking a lot of water, logging most of the food I eat (which I haven't done in a while)
    exercising
    not having a lot of sugar or fat in what I eat
  • dunsu47
    dunsu47 Posts: 13
    Options
    learning I am prediabetic has really opened my eyes and each time I see the numbers on my scale go down I know I am doing the right thing for myself...motivation to stay on track to say the least is not having to go the needle route..
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    my weight loss is due to minor exercise, watching how much i eat, eating very often, drinking plenty of water. That is what i'd like to believe.
  • Skinnymeemee
    Options
    Since going back to the gym in the last year, I lost 35 pounds (woohooooo) with 15-20 pounds left to get where I want to be. I believe finding new and exciting ways to get lose the weight help succeed it! After getting bored with the monotonous routine of weights and cardio, I began taking classes such as Zumba which made me look forward going to the gym. Of course music, the types of machines you use, who you work out with contribute to your goal. When I do cardio, I listen to fast paced music to get that momentum going. When I start looking at the time, I know to change it up and will watch what's on the television in front of me at the gym or even go on Youtube. Hey, Netflix is becoming a great friend as well! It's all about finding what works for you.

As far as food, clean eating has expanded my palette. I have come to appreciate veggies like onions and bell peppers and garlic which gives you a burst of flavor and crunch and that fix my body needs. I try not to have junk food in the kitchen although it's hard to not have it with my daughter and fiance fiending it regularly.

I drink lots of water and that helps with curbing my appetite.

Finally, programs like MFP help motivate me especially knowing that I see my caloric intake, my progress, and what I need to work on. I love seeing how others are doing. It's great having that extra push, from others and definitely yourself.

Good luck! :)
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Hard work, discipline, consistency.

Oh, and this one weird food tip that will melt fat...
  • fitgaltoo
    fitgaltoo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    1. logging my food every day on MFP for accountability and tracking.
    2. weighing myself daily to be accountable. (even if I overeat the day before and don't want to see it)
    3. learning portion contril as a result of MFP
    4. eating healthy most of the time
    5. don't beat myself up if I mess up (cuz I usually don't go over 2000 calories a day)
    6. diet of 1200 calories for defecit
    7. light exercise
    8. MFP for encourgement every day.
    9. practicing a mental image of me every day at my slender self!
  • CubicalF13
    CubicalF13 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I made sure to fulfill the following each day except Sunday(Rest Day)

a) Calorie Deficit
    b) Music + Light Exercise (walking mostly)
    c) Water(At least 1 Litre )
    d (i) Eat Low Cal Protein foods
    d (ii) Meals have been simple -breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks. May consider breaking it up when its time to shred but for the most part this has worked out just fine.
    e) Medication(Ganoderma) to assist with my knee and asthma issues.
    f) On days i over ate, id sometimes do an extra 20mins of walking, the same day or next morning.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    logging, even when I wasn't proud of my choices

making one change at a time - once it became a habit, I added another change, and so on.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    trying to stick to calorie goals - spreading out eating smaller things over the day - helps me prevent overeating at lunch and dinner - bringing all food that i eat to work helps me eat healthier
  • BIW2012
    BIW2012 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Adding MFP app to my homescreen on my iPhone - helped he starting using it daily. Now it's just a habit :)
  • everymorning
    Options
    In terms of nutrition: apart from the obvious (more water, vegetables, etc), I never eliminated those things I loved and craved (chocolate, dairy and coffee), and cut out those I didn't love as much (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes). For example, on a "meal off" (once or twice per week) I would skip the french fries (meh!) and ordered a chocolate dessert (yum!). In terms of exercise: found something I really like (love group exercise, dancing classes, etc), started cycling to work 4-5 days per week (rain, hail or shine).
  • cseaglass19
    cseaglass19 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So true. Allow a treat if it's within the calories for the day, and never quit. I like that.
  • astange83
    astange83 Posts: 105
    Options
    I got sick at the beginning, like a cold that hurt enough that soda felt bad going down so I stopped the soda, by the time I was done being sick I wasn't craving it anymore. Plus I dropped 10 pounds from not eating much while being sick. at that point my ankle pain lessened and I was able to start walking, and dropped about 55 pounds in 6 months, two years later I've maintained and have lost an additional 25 or so pounds with about another 9 to go can't wait to get there!! If I had known soda was causing the excessive foot and lower back pain I'd have quit it years ago!!
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Portion control , I eat half of what I ate before.
  • rebamay87
    rebamay87 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Other than the obvious stuff, portion control, eat more veg and lean meat, exercise more, drink more water etc... I think being unflinching in the face of your goals. Even when its awkward, even when family and friends make you uncomfortable, even when you would rather stuff your face with all those bad choices.

Don't back down and keep logging and aiming for under your goals. I now think everything in exchange. I want that chocolate treat? well I need to make sure I exercise TODAY. Its all cost and spend for me and I think if you're honest with yourself and don't give in!

After all the only one who misses out is you.
  • cathyg321
    cathyg321 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Keeping it simple. Sticking to calorie goals. Not eliminating or restricting certain types of foods. Moderation.

Yep. I believe THIS ^^ ^^ ^^ is one of the best ways! You never have "cravings" when you don't restrict foods. You never have to tell yourself, "I can eat THAT when I reach "such and such" a weight," or turn down offers to go out to dinner. I would add along with this to EXERCISE. What ever you can do, as little as you can do, as long as you are doing SOMETHING. It may not seem like a little bit of exercise matters, but trust me, your body will respond to it!!

I do not drink as much water as MFP suggests I drink, but I know when I am exercising, I drink a LOT more!
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    In this order: logging/calorie control, sleep, exercise, and my MFP pals.

The logging made me realise how much energy was in the food I was eating, and helped me make better choices about what to eat to control the amount of "calories in". I try to log in what I plan to eat a meal ahead of time... and if it is too much, I scale it back and don't eat as much as I'd originally planned. Eating lots of food is something I need to do...so I tend to fill up my days with heaps of veggies and nutrient rich but low-cal food choices; lots of whole foods, and very few pre-packaged foods which can be calorie bombs for very little actual volume of food. I love the ease of use of MFP for logging calories in.

Sleep has been crucial for me in succeeding. I tend to stress naturally, and my job can be quite stressful as well. Creating a nighttime ritual (a cup of valerian tea, a magnesium supplement, turning off the tv and computer an hour before bed, and going to bed early most nights of the week) has helped me wake early, rested up, and energised for my morning workouts. Sleep lowers cortisol (the stress hormone), and when rested, I have a greater general sense of well being because I'm calm rather than cranky and frayed.

Exercise keeps me fit, burns fat, reduces stress, and--best of all-- uses up calories, which allows me to eat more whilst staying within my daily calorie goals. I love to eat, so if I want to eat more on a certain day, I make sure to burn plenty of calories with my daily exercise.

Finally, my MFP friends have been instrumental in my progress. Just knowing that they will see my diary (open to friends) and hold me accountable helps me make better choices. I get great ideas for different healthy meals to make from viewing their diaries. We share tips and life stories. They encourage me when I'm doing well, and question me when I do anything that is counter to my goals. They have been critical in my successes, especially since I live in a remote area and don't have a big network of face-to-face supporters.
  • cyoka13
    cyoka13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    In addition to maintaining a moderate deficit (not a huge one), I found being organized with my fitness helped. When I tried to start working out in the past, I would be like "Okay! Today I a working out!" on random days...and then I would spend an hour looking for tennis shoes, workout clothes, a bottle for my water...By the time I found everything, I would be irritated that I spent so much time trying to find my gear.

Now, I keep my workout gear together in the same room and I have a schedule. I know what days I am working out, what I am doing and I keep my stuff organized.

ETA: I also do not believe in an all-or-nothing approach. This applies to both diet and exercise. If you miss a day of working out, that's okay! Do not let it influence the rest of the week..Just jump right back into your routine. For diet, make sure you have a balanced diet, try to at least get close to your macros and do not deny yourself the things you enjoy.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!