Replies

• balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    hahaha at number 18! :laugh:
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    As someone just learning to run, I appreciate the warnings, lol!
  • HRCephei36
    Options
    It's a good thing I'm not the only one when it comes to #16
  • ems1015
    Options
    This list is great. I don't really have bathroom issues (except for having to pee) UNLESS my stomach was already on the verge before my run lol. And the black toenail thing has happened to me twice. Once, when I first started running (shoes and having fingers for toes I guess) and second, when I ran in the Super Spartan this past August (on the slopes I kept clinching my toes on the way down lol). I hate running while I am doing it but it gives me a great high and so much energy after.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    And/or a nail trimming issue. If the toenail is too long it will get black even if shoes fit properly.
    The black toe nail thing - that's a fit issue, unless you're running 24 hr trail races. I've ran up to 50 miles a week, a couple half marys, and a 30k, and none of my toenails remotely came close to being black or falling off.
  • niricava
    niricava Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Beginner runner here!

This is inspiring and terrifying, all rolled into one awesome post! :drinker:

my thoughts exactly :happy:

Me too...
    By the way, I just started running and I keep having shin pain. Is there a strength training exercise I can do to fix that? I used to run many years ago and remember having shin pain then too...
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Glad im not a runner, most of that list sounds awful! If #1 happen to me I die!!
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Me too...
    By the way, I just started running and I keep having shin pain. Is there a strength training exercise I can do to fix that? I used to run many years ago and remember having shin pain then too...
    yes, runners world has a couple of recommendations on strengthening your foot - towel exercises or elastic ones and my physio recommended a different stretch after - do a normal calf stretch, hands against the wall arms stretched, facing the wall, one foot back and heel down, then without moving your heel bend that knee forward. I am quite flexible despite my years of inactivity and have very little movement in that direction (go figure)!

Also on the peeing/pooping - see this http://www.shape.com/fitness/training-plans/10-strange-effective-tips-better-marathon

reading about other runners getting emotional during their first HM and M makes me feel like bawling, I am pretty sure when I do my first 5K I will be sobbing my heart out.

oh and on the black toenails vs not black toenails - I read even if the shoe fits perfectly if the foot has greater depth rather than size or toenail length that can happen too. My shoes are perfectly fitted and my heel slips if I don't use a different lacing technique, cos I have teeny ankles (nothing else on me is teeny -yet- just my ankles LOL)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    18 and 19.
  • gallowglasslass
    gallowglasslass Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    As for getting the stench out of your running clothes... I found that Tide Sport does a really good job. I was having horrible trouble getting the smells out of my sports bras!!

When I get my own washing machine and can wash my stuff separately from my boyfriend's clothes without having to pay for it (hate community laundry rooms), I'll pick some of this up. But he has sensitive skin so we have to stick with a free and clear detergent.

Try SportSuds. From their description: "contains NO perfume, dyes, optical brighteners, sodium laureth sulfates, d-limonene, PABAs, petrochemical products softeners or fillers". It works great.
  • emmajohns88
    Options
    Number 18!!! :laugh:
  • mitchiemo
    mitchiemo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    First time I went running I got horrendously sore boobs - no one told me about that! I now wear the tightest top I can find as well as the tightest sports bra I can find.
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    22. The first mile (or half mile) tends to be the longest, until you realize that very little concerns matter at the moment. Simply step and breathe.
    I was thinking about this while doing my morning run. QFT!
  • kynara
    kynara Posts: 5
    Options
    As for getting the stench out of your running clothes... I found that Tide Sport does a really good job. I was having horrible trouble getting the smells out of my sports bras!!

When I get my own washing machine and can wash my stuff separately from my boyfriend's clothes without having to pay for it (hate community laundry rooms), I'll pick some of this up. But he has sensitive skin so we have to stick with a free and clear detergent.

The vinegar (white) and baking soda that someone mentioned works well (and cheap) even with sensitive skin. I'm allergic to almost everything out there and have to use All Free & Clear, but if I soak them in the vinegar/soda first then wash them with the detergent I don't have any reaction. Maybe you could soak them in your tub in hot water an hour before you go to the laundry room to wash. :)
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Lol. Have experienced many of these. Touch wood..not 10 or 13 yet though i live in fear ;-)
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    love this!!! ♥
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    #2 - this is pretty common. People love to tell me they dont run because they want to preserve their knees. They go on to recommend cycling or swimming. 9 times out of 10, ask them whether they swim or cycle, and you get "Well, I would but ..."

#4 I managed this even with cross training. Lack of strecthing. Everybody - remember to stretch after your runs!!

#20 This ... and the feeling starts when you see the one mile or 800m to go, and you realize that you are 100% sure you are going to make it ...
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Whatever number should be next I think 24
    A PR will make your day and be an awesome gift from all your training. And in the next second you will be planning the next training cycle to beat that PR!
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    A lot of your points don't apply to my short runs, less than an hour. When I began training for a marathon, yes, what you are talking about applies.
  • 18lalune
    Options
    17. You will never be the fastest runner you know. You will always never be the slowest runner you know.

This