Any one try the 2 ingredient cake w/yogurt?

Options

Replies

• trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Your first mistake was chocolate + pumpkin. As someone else said... WHY THAT COMBO. I love pumpkin, but man... those two just don't work together.

I can have some mild respect for two ingredient recipes, if only because I don't have a kitchen (foreclosed home), so all cooking prep I do is essentially balanced on my knee.

I've tried the "cake mix + can of (soda) pop." That can work, but the texture's a bit off. Not a very soft cake.

However, since you're a Pinterest person: I tried the, "Make a cake taste like a bakery recipe" with one extra egg than the box calls for, melted butter instead of oil, and milk instead of water.

It... didn't taste super amazing or anything. Just a denser cake.

Just piping in since you wondered if people had tried that recipe, and I often wonder about the "legitimacy" of things I find on Pinterest, too.

That combo of chocolate cake mix and pumpkin is all over the web, and although it didn't seem right I gave it a go since I was trying to satisfy my inner chocolate diva.. Lots of people gave it 4-5 stars... I do wonder about the legitimacy also and that's why I asked opinions here. Thanks everyone for your great input!
  • WorkingOnMe3
    Options
    Your first mistake was chocolate + pumpkin. As someone else said... WHY THAT COMBO. I love pumpkin, but man... those two just don't work together.

I can have some mild respect for two ingredient recipes, if only because I don't have a kitchen (foreclosed home), so all cooking prep I do is essentially balanced on my knee.

I've tried the "cake mix + can of (soda) pop." That can work, but the texture's a bit off. Not a very soft cake.

However, since you're a Pinterest person: I tried the, "Make a cake taste like a bakery recipe" with one extra egg than the box calls for, melted butter instead of oil, and milk instead of water.

It... didn't taste super amazing or anything. Just a denser cake.

Just piping in since you wondered if people had tried that recipe, and I often wonder about the "legitimacy" of things I find on Pinterest, too.

That combo of chocolate cake mix and pumpkin is all over the web, and although it didn't seem right I gave it a go since I was trying to satisfy my inner chocolate diva.. Lots of people gave it 4-5 stars... I do wonder about the legitimacy also and that's why I asked opinions here. Thanks everyone for your great input!

I made the pumpkin mixed with cake mix "muffins". The daughter of mine that hates pumpkin, LOVED them. Try a different cake mix. I'll def. make this again over the weekend. Adding nuts the next go around. So yummy. Great with coffee!! And I must admit that I made mine like cupcakes, wrapper and all, and I think my brain actually thought I was eating a cupcake-ha!
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    need to try this
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Well if you're going to talk pie filling, my husband does a devils food cake with cherry pie filling, cooked in a dutch oven with chocolate chips sprinkled on top. THAT was pretty decadent.

I wish I'd have known about that this summer when I had fresh cherries, (they never last long enough to can!) Sounds so yummy, I might have to try it.
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've done white cake mix and sprite. Very yummy!!!!
  • 902sexxi
    902sexxi Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just made these tonight with 3 ingredients; pumpkin cake mix, cream soda(diet) and Greek yogurt. I put them in muffin tin to control my portions and sprinkled some pepita seeds on top! So easy, moist and yummy!
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I just made these tonight with 3 ingredients; pumpkin cake mix, cream soda(diet) and Greek yogurt. I put them in muffin tin to control my portions and sprinkled some pepita seeds on top! So easy, moist and yummy!

Measurements for us? Please? :flowerforyou:
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    All interesting recipes- going to save them
  • Marianna05
    Marianna05 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the Nutella cake!!
  • Dottyb1940
    Dottyb1940 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Wow some nice recipes that I will have to try them all
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I've done the pumpkin + chocolate cake mix in cupcake/muffin form before and they were awesome. it definitely wasn't sugar free cake, though, so that might be different? And I wasn't trying for brownie or cookie texture. They're lighter than that. You do have to keep them out - putting them in a sealed container can make them "wet". But I don't taste any pumpkin when I make them.

I also do pumpkin + spice cake for pumpkin muffins. I haven't been able to find spice cake recently, so have been using white cake + LOADS of pumpkin pie spice and cinammon and they're delicious. Maybe better than with the spice cake. I love them, because I can have 2 for way less calories than one Starbucks pumpkin muffin.

Have to try the cake mix + pop thing one day.
  • kendragetshealthy
    Options
    try one cake mix + one can diet pop (i.e. choc/cola or white/lemon lime)
    It is very good...

I made this yesterday with a strawberry cake mix and diet 7up. OMG amazing. It's been a battle to stay away from it...
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    The purpose of this post is just to let you know that it does taste good. I didn't really calculate the actual servings that it yields, so can't tell you how many calories it is, but you can certainly omit the fat and cals from the oil and eggs and just use yogurt (I didn't use Greek yogurt) and the cake mix (no water needed unless you want to stretch your batter). I used:

Betty Crocker Super Moist - Golden Vanilla Cake Mix, I used 1/2 of a 15.25 oz package and it measured out to around 220 grams
    Great Value- Walmart - Vanilla Lowfat Yogurt, 12 oz (it was 2 of the 6 oz containers to equal one cup in an actual measuring cup).

That's 1,100 calories and 11 g of fat for half of the package and 2 things of yogurt. I think you can get 8 cupcakes? So, it would be 137.5 cals/1.375 g of fat.

The 12 oz of yogurt is more than the recipe called for bc I forgot that I was only using half of the package. But, it still tastes good to me. Once you mix the cake mix and yogurt, it tastes just like normal cake mix and I actually ate about 2 spoons of it bc it was so good. I forgot to add water and wanted to see if water was even needed, so I just made two cupcakes. For one of the cupcakes, I used about 1/8 cup of batter and maybe a tsp of water. I baked them at the same time for about 15 mins like the box said to. The one w water was muuuuch more moist. They were really sweet and nothing is too sweet to me, but I couldn't eat it w the icing that I bought. Too rich. I guess the taste reminds me of a pound cake or a pancake that has syrup on it. Will certainly bake more and will try chocolate next.
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the pumpkin with spice cake mix? SOOOOOO Yummy. Pumpkin & Chocolate just sounds gross.

This one is SO amaze-balls.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • debilee12
    debilee12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The pumpkin and spice cake mix is DELICIOUS!!!!!
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Yummy bump.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 1julietax
    1julietax Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I tried a chocolate cake mix (sugar free) with a can of pumpkin and made them into cookies and I was sorely disappointed, Yuk! I was looking on pintrest and saw the following recipe, which you can just use without the orange, just cake mix and yogurt btw, but I am very reluctant to try after this last batch. Has anyone tried the yogurt/cake recipe? Please give your honest feedback. I have tried the black bean and brownie mix and enjoyed that, but the cake and pumpkin? H to the N! From Printrest:

Creamsicle Cake

1 box (15.25 oz) White Cake Mix

1 container (6 oz) non-fat Greek yogurt, plain

1 cup orange juice

freshly grated orange zest, optional

powdered sugar, optional

In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, Greek yogurt and orange juice. Include the zest of one orange, if desired. Pour batter into a greased 8 x8 inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-33 minutes. Slice into 9 pieces. Garnish with a dusting of powdered sugar and orange peel, if desired.

Nutrition information per slice: Calories 201, Fat 4.4 grams, Carbs 40 grams, Fiber 1.1 grams, Protein 3.3 grams.

How is that 2 ingredient cake when you've listed 4 ingredients?

Also, that sounds horrible.

Rude..
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I tried a chocolate cake mix (sugar free) with a can of pumpkin and made them into cookies and I was sorely disappointed, Yuk! I was looking on pintrest and saw the following recipe, which you can just use without the orange, just cake mix and yogurt btw, but I am very reluctant to try after this last batch. Has anyone tried the yogurt/cake recipe? Please give your honest feedback. I have tried the black bean and brownie mix and enjoyed that, but the cake and pumpkin? H to the N! From Printrest:

Creamsicle Cake

1 box (15.25 oz) White Cake Mix

1 container (6 oz) non-fat Greek yogurt, plain

1 cup orange juice

freshly grated orange zest, optional

powdered sugar, optional

In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, Greek yogurt and orange juice. Include the zest of one orange, if desired. Pour batter into a greased 8 x8 inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-33 minutes. Slice into 9 pieces. Garnish with a dusting of powdered sugar and orange peel, if desired.

Nutrition information per slice: Calories 201, Fat 4.4 grams, Carbs 40 grams, Fiber 1.1 grams, Protein 3.3 grams.

How is that 2 ingredient cake when you've listed 4 ingredients?

Also, that sounds horrible.

Rude..

I think that the whole "2-ingredient" is referring to the fact that you don't need other things like eggs, milk, etc. You just need two ingredients: the cake mix and yogurt. Of course, you can add other things like OJ and fruits to give it the taste that you want, which is what this person was sharing.