Export and analyze your own data in Excel

Options

Replies

• kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I previously could not get weight with the v6. in v8, the first method fails, the second method hangs (I stopped it at 25 minutes).

This.

Having this problem also
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! Thanks for sharing.
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Nerd alert

Naaawh, it's not done in C# ;)

Now, if he developed web app with a sql database back end and imported the data in on the other hand... ;)

Nice stuff, though the download link is dead, anyone else upload it please? =)

New version

http://bit.ly/HhXhfF

I've done web apps, and more dev languages than I can think of but I do not want to do this on a web service because I don't want to store people's data.

I've seen that a few people have issues with exporting the weight data so I will look into that.

High five ;) Though I'm very much on the start of this path than as far up it as you! =)
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    This is so great - thanks!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Looks awesome :drinker:

Sadly, I only have the starter edition of excel and as such I can't make use of this awesomeness.

Well, I was really interested in seeing the observed TDEE, so I entered all the calorie information and weight information manually.

Really interesting to see the Observed vs Estimated TDEE chart. I kind of feel skeptical about it (maybe it didn't work right since I entered information manually).

The chart shows my observed TDEE being right around eTDEE(1.55) and higher. While fitbit has me between eTDEE(1.2) and eTDEE (1.375).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Sadly, I only have the starter edition of excel and as such I can't make use of this awesomeness.

Well, I was really interested in seeing the observed TDEE, so I entered all the calorie information and weight information manually.

Really interesting to see the Observed vs Estimated TDEE chart. I kind of feel skeptical about it (maybe it didn't work right since I entered information manually).

The chart shows my observed TDEE being right around eTDEE(1.55) and higher. While fitbit has me between eTDEE(1.2) and eTDEE (1.375).

As long as you don't have suppressed your metabolism - you are talking about the difference between observed TDEE based on actual lost weight, and estimated calorie burn.

The only iffy part of the equation is your logging of food eaten - was it correct, no holes or gaps, correctly weighed, ect?

Going on assumption weight lost is fat, that means each pound lost is an assumed 3500 deficit for however long it took you to lose it.

If your avg loss over time is 1 lb weekly, that is 1 x 3500 / 7 = 500 calorie deficit you must have had daily from your TDEE.

So add that 500 to what you say you ate, and if accurate enough, eaten + 500 = observed TDEE.

The only assumption problem is if you are losing a lot eating well under what you should, cardio only, not enough carbs or protein, no strength training - then you are actually burning off muscle mass. And muscle mass only provides 600 calories per pound.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

As long as you don't have suppressed your metabolism - you are talking about the difference between observed TDEE based on actual lost weight, and estimated calorie burn.

The only iffy part of the equation is your logging of food eaten - was it correct, no holes or gaps, correctly weighed, ect?

Going on assumption weight lost is fat, that means each pound lost is an assumed 3500 deficit for however long it took you to lose it.

If your avg loss over time is 1 lb weekly, that is 1 x 3500 / 7 = 500 calorie deficit you must have had daily from your TDEE.

So add that 500 to what you say you ate, and if accurate enough, eaten + 500 = observed TDEE.

The only assumption problem is if you are losing a lot eating well under what you should, cardio only, not enough carbs or protein, no strength training - then you are actually burning off muscle mass. And muscle mass only provides 600 calories per pound.

My logging isn't perfect. I totally admit that.
    I have logged everyday since March 13 of this year. Although I only entered information from Aug 20 till now into the spreadsheet. (not sure if adding more information would change the result or not).
    I don't log crystal light (even though I drink about 80 calories worth a day).
    I don't log when my son gives me one of his crackers (or anything else he offers me).
    If I weigh out food and then my son starts eating off my plate as well, I still log what I had weighed.
    If my weight loss ever stalled out, then I'd definitely start logging the little things that I currently don't.

Trendweight is estimating I lose about 1lb of muscle for every 5lbs of total weight lost. :frown: I do strength exercises with dumbbells and resistance bands currently since I don't have access to a barbell.
    I knew my fitbit underestimated a bit, but I was thinking it was only about 250 calories off.
    Oddly enough, the lowest observed TDEE from the spreadsheet, is actually what my scale tells me is roughly my TDEE.

I would hope I haven't suppressed my metabolism. Up until recently my average calorie intake was 1886 per day (adding 500 to this gets me roughly the same as the lowest observed TDEE). Recently I've felt like I'm starving so I've been upping my calories slowly until I find the magic number where I maintain. I'm currently averaging around 2000 calories, not working out....and still losing weight (although slower than before). :grumble:

Talking it out like this, it might not be too far off then. It just seems high for my height and weight.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I've posted a blog where I will keep the latest version and try to avoid people hunting for it throughout this thread.

Blog can be found here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/mfp-extractor-and-trend-watcher-the-program-post-589839

Latest version: http://bit.ly/H5g1zm

I'll also adress what errors and guesses can exist in the oTDEE and how it comes up with the numbers. Just give me the time to write that up and answer your question properly. :)
  • darkestdayz
    darkestdayz Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm getting an error that says macros are corrupt...the popup never comes up at all. Office 2007 and I have IE 10.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Bumping for when I get smarter.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I'm getting an error that says macros are corrupt...the popup never comes up at all. Office 2007 and I have IE 10.

For those having the macros corrupt message it is likely that VBA is not installed in 2007. This is an option in the office / excel suite.
    See here:
    http://www.excelforum.com/excel-programming-vba-macros/822897-excel-corrupt-macro-message.html

Can you go to add/remove program in system and modify your installation to enable VBA? It's an optional install.
    Add it and see if that solves the issue.
  • vfowlergt
    Options
    bump :)
  • susanb_16
    susanb_16 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Razzzzle
    Razzzzle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    Version 9 is still hanging for me.
  • Spartan_1_1_7
    Spartan_1_1_7 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    When I try to download - I keep getting the message "Invalid download link" :( Anybody else face this issue?
  • blackNBUK
    blackNBUK Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Nerd alert

Naaawh, it's not done in C# ;)

Now, if he developed web app with a sql database back end and imported the data in on the other hand... ;)

Nice stuff, though the download link is dead, anyone else upload it please? =)

New version

http://bit.ly/HhXhfF

I've done web apps, and more dev languages than I can think of but I do not want to do this on a web service because I don't want to store people's data.

I've seen that a few people have issues with exporting the weight data so I will look into that.

When I discovered that you could get data out through the XML graphs I did wonder about writing a browser extension to do the TDEE calculation. Of course I didn't do anything about it! A browser extension should be able to present a nice UI without needing to store any data anywhere. It might also be able to use the browser's login so entering a username and password wouldn't be necessary.
  • dominiqueruns
    dominiqueruns Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for this!
  • Razzzzle
    Razzzzle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Is it just me that cant get it to work?

Doesnt pull in any of my food or cals etc?

Getting:

20/10/2013
    21/10/2013
    22/10/2013
    23/10/2013
    24/10/2013
    25/10/2013
    - or -
    Username:
    Password:
    Remember me next time
    Forgot password or username?
    Not a member yet? Sign up now!

I have my username in the setup tab and also leave the browser open and then come back to excel and download