can you lose weight when pregnant?

Options

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Anyone who finds out they are creating life and thinks "oh, god, I hope I don't gain any weight at all during this" could probably use a break from the dieting/fitness lifestyle anyway. That's a whole new level of obsessed.
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have had five kids, and gained with all of them. You have lots of time to worry about losing weight. I think right now you should concentrate of eating healthy and exercising only. This should help you from gaining too much weight other then what is normal for baby/water/placenta etc. My youngest is now two, I nursed her till 1 and then worried about weight loss. good luck, and congrats.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lose weight naturally, but I wouldn't recommend intentionally trying to lose weight. I lost five pounds the first month after I found out I was pregnant just from feeling sick all the time!
  • rhileyschubbygranny
    rhileyschubbygranny Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I sure did! I lost 35 lbs while being pregnant, another 9.2 from delivering the baby, then another 25 pounds withini 6-8 post delivery. I did absolutely no dieting. I simply changed WHAT I ate because I was terrified that if something came out wrong with my baby that it would be all my fault from being so overweight. I was never hungry as I wasn't actually dieting. I still ate a large quantity of food, just healthier choices. Popcorn instead of chips, cottage cheese with apple sauce instead of ice cream, etc.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Per www.MedMD.com
    http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/healthy-weight-gain

"Is It Safe to Lose Weight When Pregnant?
    She should only lose weight under her doctor's care. But in most cases, women should not try to lose weight or diet during pregnancy.

Where Does the Extra Weight Go During Pregnancy?
    Baby: 8 pounds
    Placenta: 2-3 pounds
    Amniotic fluid: 2-3 pounds
    Breast tissue: 2-3 pounds
    Blood supply: 4 pounds
    Stored fat for delivery and breastfeeding: 5-9 pounds
    Larger uterus: 2-5 pounds
    Total: 25-35 pounds "
    "End of Quote"
    "
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    just found out im expecting baby number 5 :D
    so happy.. but i really dont want to gain ANY weight lol

has anyone lost weight and weighed less when they had their baby than they did when they got pregnant?

Restricting calorie intake and running a calorie deficit while pregnant means there are fewer nutrients available for your baby.

Fetal development is incredibly rapid, and nutrient availability is astonishingly important to how healthy your child is.

Please, please, please do not try to maintain your current weight during your pregnancy. Your child will suffer developmentally because of it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Anyone who finds out they are creating life and thinks "oh, god, I hope I don't gain any weight at all during this" could probably use a break from the dieting/fitness lifestyle anyway. That's a whole new level of obsessed.

xthumb.gif
  • bombshell_under_construction
    Options
    Naturally, it is possible to lose weight while pregnant. The true question is should you lose weight when pregnant. If you started off overweight some actually recommend increasing activity and cleaning up your diet.

The key is getting proper nutrition, being aware of any high risk situation, and discussing your desire with your doctor including which exercises you want to incorporate. From there, you may even gain access to a nutritionist who can help you generate a balanced diet and realistic calorie goal.

If you're expending too much and not intaking enough nutrients to satisfy your baby's growing needs, your body takes nutrients from your teeth, bones, etc.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Per MayoClinic.com
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pregnancy-weight-gain/PR00111

"Like it or not, pregnancy weight gain is inevitable. Your baby's growth and development depend on it.
    Consider these general guidelines for pregnancy weight gain:

Pre-pregnancy weight: Recommended weight gain:
    Underweight (BMI less than 18.5): 28 to 40 pounds
    Normal weight (BMI 18.5 to 24.9): 25 to 35 pounds
    Overweight (BMI 25 to 29.9): 15 to 25 pounds
    Obese (BMI 30 or more): 11 to 20 pounds

...some research suggests that women who are obese can safely gain less weight than the guidelines recommend. Work with your health care provider to determine what's best in your case and to manage your weight throughout pregnancy. "
    "End of Quote"
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't starve your child after it's born, so why try before?
  • Feisty_one
    Feisty_one Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i never said anything about starving myself, or my baby for that matter!
    i eat 1600 cals a day at the minute, thats lots of healthy nutrition, i lost 8lbs in 3 weeks, im eating a lot of stuff, check my diary!
    i have no intention of starving! i just dont want to gain 70lbs like i did with all my other pregnancies.

ps. im not obsessed and unless you have been in my shoes and feel about my weight and what i have been through then dont judge me.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    i eat 1600 cals a day at the minute, thats lots of healthy nutrician, i lost 8lbs in 3 weeks, im eating a lot of stuff, check my diary!
    i have no intention of starving! i just dont want to gain 70lbs like i did with all my other pregnancies.

ps. im not obsessed and unless you have been in my shoes and feel about my weight and what i have been through then dont judge me.

Losing weight is the process of not providing your body enough calories to live, forcing it to consume its own body mass to make up the energy deficit.

By losing weight while pregnant, you are making your body choose between itself and the fetus.

Pregnancy is not the time to deprive your body of the energy it needs for itself.
  • I am 8 months pregnant and am down 7lbs just from eating and exercising properly. However, even if you are obese, you still need to gain 11-20 lbs during pregnancy. (This is what my OB-GYN told me, as I follow up with them about my exercise/eating habits) Make sure that you're being healthy and making healthy choices, and you should be fine.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    i eat 1600 cals a day at the minute, thats lots of healthy nutrician, i lost 8lbs in 3 weeks, im eating a lot of stuff, check my diary!

1) if you're losing 8lbs in 3 weeks, how is that sufficient? Nutrition requirements is VERY different than calorie/energy needs.

2) 70lbs vs not gaining any weight... well, there's an awful big difference there, a lot of gray area to work in between.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    i eat 1600 cals a day at the minute, thats lots of healthy nutrition, i lost 8lbs in 3 weeks, im eating a lot of stuff, check my diary!

When you are pregnant, you are eating for you and for your baby. When you are in a calorie deficit, you are deliberately providing too little to optimally support both you and the baby.

Pregnancy is not the time for weight loss. You can lose weight when the baby is born. The decisions you make about nutrition now will literally impact this child for the rest of its life.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    The decisions you make about nutrition now will literally impact this child for the rest of it's life.

Exactly. If you don't provide your baby with proper nutrition, it'll grow into an adult that confuses its and it's.
  • You wouldn't starve your child after it's born, so why try before?

You need to do your homework before judging an expecting mother who is trying to take care of her and her baby's health. EVEN if she wasn't eating enough, (which she is) the baby wouldn't starve. The baby would be given nutrients from the mother's body. While unhealthy for the mother, the baby would be properly nourished.
    To the OP, good for you trying to be healthy. Your baby's health starts at conception!
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with losing weight as long as you're eating sensibly and not cutting the calories too low. Talk to your doctor.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    The decisions you make about nutrition now will literally impact this child for the rest of it's life.

Exactly. If you don't provide your baby with proper nutrition, it'll grow into an adult that confuses its and it's.

Shut it.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    You wouldn't starve your child after it's born, so why try before?

You need to do your homework before judging an expecting mother who is trying to take care of her and her baby's health. EVEN if she wasn't eating enough, (which she is) the baby wouldn't starve. The baby would be given nutrients from the mother's body. While unhealthy for the mother, the baby would be properly nourished.
    To the OP, good for you trying to be healthy. Your baby's health starts at conception!

So the fetus gets proper nutrition regardless of the mother's food intake?

That's pretty dangerous advice.