New to Running - What is a good "time" for a 5k?

Options

Replies

• dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    A "good" time goal to have for a 5k is honestly however long it will take *you* to finish one! First, sign up for a 5k. Next, do the program. Participate in the 5k... run it, walk it, crawl it - whatever. What matters is that you're out there. The more you put into it the more you will get out of it. Once you have one under your belt, you can start setting future time goals for yourself if that's what you're interested in. Remember, even if you come in last, you'll still be light years ahead of all the people that didn't even attempt it.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Your time is a good time, keep running and it will get shorter and shorter, don't compare yourself to others. You will be in the mid 20's before you know it!
  • dgbush0208
    dgbush0208 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am 45 and started back running in August after two years and a weight gain. I started with C25K and then added Running for Weight Loss. Combining both of those programs helped me achieve better results than last time. I am running better now despite weighing more than 2 years ago. I have lost 21 lbs since August and try to run 3.5 - 4 miles 5 times a week.

I do think I over did about 3 weeks ago and am dealing with a pull in my left thigh and minor bursitis but it has improved since I changed shoes. My current time for a 5K is 34-36 minutes.....depending on the day of the week and how busy I've been.

Keep with it and Good Luck!
  • SaraC1977
    Options
    I think there are several things that will determine your time. I run a lot, but I run slow. Call it genetics. I don't know. I am happy if I run a 35 minute 5k. When I tried training to get faster, running wasn't fun anymore. So I run slow and that's how it is. Most people that I know have a time between 35 and 40 min for their first 5k.

I concur with this. I started C25K program in Feb 2013. I signed up for a 5K for June 1st. I believe I was able to run 3 miles by mid-April. I had no experience running and was not in shape. I didn't go to the gym either, so that's really starting from scratch. I was about 70 lbs overweight when I started this program. I found that the first couple of weeks were the hardest but after that I really started to look forward to my jogs. One day about halfway thru the program, I just felt like continuing to run and did 2 miles straight. One week later I was able to do 3. I really think it just comes with consistently doing it every other day or at least 3-5 x's per week.

I did a bunch of runs over the summer but btwn June-July started pushing myself too much and it just wasn't fun anymore. I dreaded running. So, like the person above said, I just stopped trying to do 5-6 miles and just went back to running for fun. I was able to get up to 4.5 but that was only a 11.5 minute mile. I am now more content just doing my 11.5 to 13.0 minute mile and running anywhere from 1-3 miles a couple times a week. I also do the bike/elliptical too.

I say do what makes you happy. You may get to the 3.1 mile mark and feel like progressing in distance and/or speed or you may not. I did for awhile but topped off at 4.5 miles. I realized I just really didn't want to do more than that.

Race times:
    4/27: 43 (ran)
    5/04: 40 (ran)
    6/1/13: 38 minutes (ran)
    7/11: 37 (ran)
    9/7: 46 (walk/run)
    10/19: 48 (walk/run)
  • vjfit1
    Options
    If you can finish 5k under 20 mins, I think, you are an "elite" runner. I usually finish in 23-24 mins range, which I think is a "good" timing.

It is all relative.. my background may help. I am a 38 year male, 168lb (6 months ago 182lb). Never was athletic in school or college but by chance, I happened to run my first 5k in last May. Then it was the longest distance I ran in my life. I decided not to walk or stop until I reach the finish line and I finished just under 31 mins.

After the first mile, I was feeling like climbing Mt Everest while 10 year old kids were playfully leaping ahead of me laughing and screaming with fun. In the last half mile, I thought I would collapse anytime but just kept going and finally whoa.. what a great feeling!

So, if your beginning is very different from me, then your 'good'/'elite' definitions may change.

I realized that my body is more capable than what I think... so is everyone's. Running opens you up to challenge yourself and every success fills you with confidence while you learn more about yourself, get tougher and deal with life better.
    And that is best way to experience the nature!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    My first 5k goal was "run the whole time". Once I reached that goal, everything else was just gravy.

(FYI, my first 5k...in which I walked frequently...was something like 48 minutes. My most recent one was 22 min and change. The moral of the story? ...you can do it! Good luck. :smile: )
  • runrogerrun
    runrogerrun Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My first ever 5K was when I was 49. I did it in 23 1/2 minutes. Which actually shocked me because my training runs were around 26 minutes. The race environment speeds you up because the competitve juices flow. Just go with the flow and do your best each time you race and most of all have fun.
  • Wrongbow
    Wrongbow Posts: 1
    Options
    Just started running.

My 5k's are coming in at 29-31.

Over next couple of weeks i plan to get it down to 25
  • suzeq22
    suzeq22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 7, Day 3 of C25K and I "run" at 3.8 on the treadmill. It's SLOW but I think speed comes later. When I started, I could barely run the 1 minute intervals and the first two days of Week 7 are 25 minute runs, no problem! I love this program and have found I really can be a runner!! Best of luck to you, stick with it and do it at the pace you feel comfortable!
  • Halbared
    Halbared Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Are you in the UK?
    Then find your nearest parkrun.
    http://www.parkrun.org.uk/
    Thousands of people running every Saturday morning, times ranging from 14 minutes to 50. :)
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    as others have said just do your first one and use that time as a bench mark.

when you start comparing your time to others you may be disappointed that you didnt "beat" them

the only person you should be in competition with is yesterday's you
  • bck80
    bck80 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    just do it...it really gets easier and don't put too much pressure on yourself. if you don't finsh under 30 min than be it
  • bck80
    bck80 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You'll be surprised how fast running gets easier. I'm starting week 5 of C25K and I'm already doing 2+ miles in my 35 minute sessions - even though I'm still walking almost half! I agree that you should pick a race and sign up. Even if you're not running fully yet the race will feel rewarding and give you something to work towards.

i am on week 5 as well aand i am terrified of the 20 min run on the third day...but excited at the same time
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Just do the C25K program and do your best on your first 5K and that will be you goal to beat. If you finish in 48 minutes, the next one shoot for 45 minutes, then 42 minutes the next time and so on.

I started as a NON runner. I have been doing c25K for quite a while. I am still not up to running the whole time. I have done five 5K's now and my best time has been 42 minutes, I can't run the whole thing. and that's ok! I can do a 20 minute jog on the treadmill no problem but can only jog about 5 minutes outdoors, so keep that in mind. If you're training on a treadmill, it's MUCH harder outside.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    A good time is whatever it takes for you to cross the finish line. Pick a race, sign-up and go do it. Then keep training and pick another one and do that one. You'll see your times improve and your confidence grow. :) There's a phrase I like and I've seen it on all sorts of images... "No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone sitting on the couch!"
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I am brand new to running as well. finished the c25k program on Mach 1st and ran a 5k on March 8th. I have another 5k scheduled for April 19th. for me I needed to have a race to look forward too to keep me going. I did stop quite a few times and walk and probably will this 5k too. I'm fine with that. I am going to start repeating c25k week 3/4 this week. I haven't really been able to run outside with the yucky winter we had here... but I can run 30 minutes non stop on a treadmill. I never thought I would classify myself as a runner. .c25k is a great program. Go at your own pace and you will do great
  • elladams
    elladams Posts: 4
    Options
    Your race, your pace. Don't worry about what the "average" is or what everyone else is doing. Like others are saying, just pick a race and run it. If you have to walk, then walk some. Just keep moving! And enjoy the journey!! :)
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Finish the race, thats the best time. Running is much more than a random speed number, build the mileage, try to run longer. The more frequent, longer your run, the speed will improve. I have seen lot of folks who run too fast at the beginning and injure themselves. Build the distance and pace at a comfortable pace.
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    No matter how fast or slow, or if you walk some or not, be proud of your time. :smile: The only one you're competing against is yourself, and you'll get better with each one.

That said, the men who win locally finish around 17 minutes, which is just insane. Young women who win are typically around 20 minutes. Then there's the rest of us mortals who are anywhere between 25 and 45 minutes. Thirty minutes is good. I was hoping for 30 for my first, and squeaked under at 29:40, and got a little faster since then.
    ^^^This! I completely agree. Sign up for a race the same time you will be finishing your C25K program to help keep you motivated. Run the race, don't worry about your time, walk if you need to, and HAVE FUN! After your first race, you can make beating that time your next goal. I started running in 2010 with C25K. I ran my first 5k in March, a 10k in June, and my first half marathon in October. You can do it. :)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    9 weeks is plenty of time. If you feel uncomfortable moving forward one week, just do that week's exercises over again for another week.

A good time for finishing it in is 30 minutes. I'd shoot for that.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!