Replies

• westoweighless
    Options
    only when i'm petting or yelling at them

yes
  • DainaLC
    DainaLC Posts: 18,937 Member
    Options
    You don't think you have to be human to pick up on emotions. It takes us a while to get to know them and their little personalities, just like it takes them a while to get to know us.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I would say they know when something's up. One of my cats, the baby, always comes to me when I'm crying. He'll butt his head up against me and meow then start kneading me. The other male usually comes shortly after. The female? She could care less.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    My son has some special needs … ADD and emotional challenges. The family cat has become his cat (she's a bit special needs, too, lol). When he is having a really volatile day the cat will shove her nose in his face with nothing but purrs. She's the only one who can get him to respond and come out of some of these moods. (Most other people she'll remove your hand if you pet her wrong)

So yes, I believe pets can sense your emotions and respond appropriately. :flowerforyou:
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,463 Member
    Options
    Yes they do. My dog especially, but also my horse who I had a great attachment to.
  • losing4799
    Options
    Pets can read emotion in facial expressions. Edit: Information attained from a study done on dogs. There are some pets which are exempt... I'm sure your goldfish wouldn't know what you were feeling lol...
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    For sure. My little *kitten* know what's up. Sometimes i think their just lazy lol
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Yes.

An why is that ^^^ dude poking his junk?
  • dayhadley
    Options
    My shepherd-mix is extremely intuitive and gets depressed when I'm sad. Like super-sad puppy-dog-eyes-sad. My dobie - big mush-ball that he is - always wants to cuddle and put his head on you - whatever body part is available... so its hard to tell if he feels your sadness or if it's his usual self.
    And when we're happy or excited, they're happy/excited. When someone isn't in a great mood (not typical in our house), they avoid that person. Dogs definitely feed off our emotions. Love them pups.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    they absolutely do.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I am loving reading all these responses :smile: Pets can sense and respond to emotions just by their actions.
    I had seen an episode on Oprah, where a guy had lot his wife and two dogs to Carbon Monoxide poisoning. It was one of the most sad episodes i have seen. The dogs ran out to vomit, but returned to the wife and stayed below her bed to safeguard her and died :cry:
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I hope so... I hate that fuccking cat
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Sure they do. Read this:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/20/opinion/sunday/are-chicks-brighter-than-babies.html?_r=0

They have a level of intelligence and sensitivity we don't really appreciate.
    I once hit a flying bird with my car. The bird fluttered to the ground, and laid there flapping its wings frantically. It's mate turned around and flew down to it and stood there with it. That mate would not leave. It stands to reason that if animals have feelings with each other they can pick them up in us.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    When I was about 10, I was crying in my room for some stupid reason (probably got in trouble for something). My cat, Dinah jumped next to me on the bed and just stared at me, then pawed at my leg. Animals are the best companions.
  • BlessedHeart
    BlessedHeart Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! They are very sensitive creatures. We have three dogs. The each have their own personalities too! :smile:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    gah I just read something about them having the emotional equivalent of a 2 year old...I wish I could find it

Not sure if this was it, but it was something similar...

http://www.livescience.com/5613-dogs-smart-2-year-kids.html
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

LOL...that made me laugh
  • AcidWords21
    AcidWords21 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Absolutely they do!

Have a couple of chihuahuas that hop on my bed and snuggle up next to me until the day I'm feeling better.
    They detect when I'm down in the dumps & won't leave my side. One will let out a little whimper and rest his head on my arm.
    When there's excitement in the air they're definitely excited as well & will run around chasing one another, play wrestling, jump on the furniture. haha
    Silly beasts :smile:
  • j0705
    j0705 Posts: 185
    Options
    yes definately they can also sense pregnancy and illnesses.

there was a little boy in the uk recently on the news with his dog that knows when he is about to have an epileptic seizure before it happens and a woman that had cancer and didnt know it but her dog constantly cried and nuzzled at the part of her body they found the cancer for weeks before she was diagnosed.
  • dayhadley
    Options

LOL...that made me laugh

I was wondering why he had his hand up his shorts. I thought he was being naughty til I clicked on it.... just trying to show the inner thighs that could probably crush a walnut.