any one lost 100lbs in a year, with out surgery?

Options

Replies

• LinnPitt
    Options
    Hi all,

WOW! for all those who lost so much. That's really inspiring.

I have a question though: With loosing that much weight, how's your skin following? Do you have loose skin hanging around? Did you do the "right* exercise to make it shrink with your weight? Or is surgery necessary now to get rid of the "belly"?

With 80lbs to loose, I really wonder what to do with my belly skin.

MM

I can only speak for myself. I have been heavy for so long that there is really no exercise I could do to tighten this skin back up. I do have issues with saggy skin and will require a tummy tuck when I lose down to my goal weight. I have discussed this with my doctor and she agreed with me on that. once you blow a balloon up and hold it that way it will never be like it was fresh out of the package again.
  • saychzzz
    saychzzz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My goal is 109 in 1 year and my Dr. is following me every 2 months. This was her recommendation. I have no idea if I can really reach that in 1 year but I will try my level best and will at least be better off in the end than I am now! We can do this together!!!
  • NattyBo
    NattyBo Posts: 41
    Options
    I've lost 58 in less than half a year just doing diet and exercise, with a goal of 120, so I think it can be done if a person sets their mind to it.

However, I've got a TON of strech marks and saggy skin, I don't think there is an exercise in the world that is gonna make some of it go away unless I decide to be a body builder. On the one hand it's a nice reminder of where you've been, but on the other... I'm kinda hoping my insurance covers some sort of cosmetic surgery to at least remove some of it. It's going to be annoying to get down to my goal and then have who knows how many pounds of skin just hanging loose off the bone. For me, the worst parts where the skin is getting lose are my belly (almost all my fat was [is] there) and under my arms in the "grandma waving goodbye-jiggly area".
  • DSalmon1974
    Options
    i have lost 91 pounds in a year without any surgery at all .. you can do it ... =)

58903_1599427828539_1321347723_31633236_481956_n.jpg
  • Liv7301
    Options
    I have lost about 70 pounds in one year, so I am close. :)

It CAN be done!

You CAN do it!
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I know it can be done! I'm at 88 lbs in 8 months. I want to be at 100 lost before Christmas! You can do anything you set your mind to with hard work and determination!!
  • msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 140 lbs. and so far I am down 70 with no crazy dieting technique or surgery or teas, etc. Just plain eating and exercising. You can do anything you want if you set you mind to it :wink:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I think the over all answer is yes, It is possible to lose 100lbs in one year but listen to the advice of those who went to extremes. It would be better for you to take two years and do it healthfully and with maintenance in mind than to go to extremes.

2lbs a week is actually considered aggressive weight loss by medical standards because a lot of people do lose muscle mass due to starvation tactics and that is not the goal. DO what is healthy and make sure to exercise and don't let that number on the scale rule your life. Make sure to take your measurements and measure once per month and set mini goals and before you know it you will be right where you want to be :flowerforyou:

YOU CAN DO IT!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    OH, and Dsalmon you look great!
  • mrecker
    mrecker Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's possible (I lost 33 pounds in about 3 months) but at 2 lbs/wk that doesn't leave you much room for plateaus (which you will have). Don't let yourself get hung up on some arbitrary deadline; you didn't gain all your weight at once and you won't lose it overnight. Just stick with your plan and celebrate each milestone as it comes. Good luck and stay strong!
  • kayjay7171
    kayjay7171 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I fit in this category! I've lost 140 since May 1st.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    WOOHOO! Congratualtions to everyone! This thread is so inspiring and motivating! Thank you to everyone for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • jcmc99
    jcmc99 Posts: 27
    Options
    To everyone who has responded to my question... THANK YOU!!! I had no idea that I would see so many responses. Extreamly inspiring. As of right now, I am down 21lbs in about two months. I have a goal of being down 30lbs by the time I see my brother at christmas. Looks like I might even exceed that.
    Everyday is a challenge. But I want to save my life. No, no dr said that it was down to that. But with family history... yes, I knew it. I will continue to update as I go. Thank you so very very much! (tears :) )
  • shockley2589
    shockley2589 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am just so amazed at how many people have success stories of losing 100+ lbs. I am one who is needing to lose 100-110 lbs, but of course I want it to happen right away. Well I would like to thank all of you who told your story, it is very inspiring! Hopefully in about a year I will be one who can say I have lost 100 or more lbs in a year with no help only self control.
  • nowic
    nowic Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You are all so amazing and inspire me so much!:bigsmile: So I would like to ask you a couple questions. Did you change your diet immediatly or work into it? I am afraid of changing everything so drastically that it becomes a "diet" not a way of life. Esp. when my kids and husband fight me on some of the healthier choices and smaller portions I have put out there.:ohwell: Also, what was your choice of exercise? I struggle! I hate exercising and love sweets- bad combination!! So any advice you could give me starting out would be great!! I have about 140lbs to lose. I started at 280 and am now at 271 I am only 5'3" . I have bad knees and a low grocery budget so I try to eat smaller portions. I also hate to cook --so ya I need help. If any of you would like to be my friend and help "coach" me- I would love that!! :bigsmile:
  • dogdaze
    dogdaze Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You are all so amazing and inspire me so much!:bigsmile: So I would like to ask you a couple questions. Did you change your diet immediatly or work into it? I am afraid of changing everything so drastically that it becomes a "diet" not a way of life. Esp. when my kids and husband fight me on some of the healthier choices and smaller portions I have put out there.:ohwell: Also, what was your choice of exercise? I struggle! I hate exercising and love sweets- bad combination!! So any advice you could give me starting out would be great!! I have about 140lbs to lose. I started at 280 and am now at 271 I am only 5'3" . I have bad knees and a low grocery budget so I try to eat smaller portions. I also hate to cook --so ya I need help. If any of you would like to be my friend and help "coach" me- I would love that!! :bigsmile:

I am not going to lose 100 lbs in less than a year (I have over a hundred to lose but it has taken me more than a year to get this far). but I aim to reach a healthy weight in about 2 years and perhaps more importantly, I plan to stay there!

I was reading the other posts, and though there are obviously exceptions, it seems that most of the people who have managed to lose 100 in a year are male. Congratulations to all of you! Male or Female - you are an inspiration to all of the rest of us.

My doctors were starting to tell me that I was getting heavy enough to consider bariatric surgery but after losing one friend who died suddenly a year or two after having surguery and seeing another who had a dramatic weight loss initially but has now managed to regain almost all her lost weight, I decided to see what I could do following a healthy lifestyle.

I have been making changes in my diet fairly gradually over the past year. Simply charting my food intake with MFP has helped me a lot. It exposes some glaring gaps in nutrition. I did not take calcium supplements or drink as much milk until I realized how deficient in calcium my previous diet was!

I am eating a lot more vegetables and drinking more water than I did before. Beans and other legumes and whole grains are cheap, filling and nutritious - it is amazing how many ways you can flavor them and they taste quite different depending on what you do to htem. There are many ways you can sneak more vegetables into your diet. My secret is to cook a bunch of whole grains or beans and freeze them for the future but look out for canned beans if convenience matters. If you start eating a lot more fiber and veggies all at once you will probably get some GI symptoms (ie gas.....) but trust me, if you do it gradually your body adapts pretty well.

I think it is hard to beat walking for cheapness and convenience. I bought a pedometer which helps motivate me - it is fun to see the step count, distance and estimate of calories burned! I kept my eyes open for weights and bands at garage sales and the local thrift stores. I also found some second hand fitness DVDs which are fun. Try your library - it is amazing what they have in the way of DVDs to borrow for nothing! Cycling might be really good if your knees are bad. Swimming will exercise your whole body!!

Losing weight and strengthening muscles is a good way to reduce knee problems. Every pound you lose reduces the strain on your knees by 4 pounds!! After you have lost some weight, you may find walking a lot easier - something to look forward to!!

Good luck and don't let the inevitable bumps in the road throw you off track! It is the big picture that counts!!
  • kstone1976
    Options
    Amazing... You are insepration to eveyone... ;)
  • aweightogo
    Options

I lost 100 pounds in 50 weeks. (Just made it last week :)) I did not do any "crazy" diets like I have in the past, so I was able to stick with it. Because of my own personal issues with food, it was necessary for me to make my changes all at one time. This was a personal choice, and I think it has to be for everyone. My changes were not overly drastic, but are what worked for me. I switched white rice, pasta and breads for whole grain versions, I stopped eating fried food, and I greatly limited my refined sugar intake. Trust me, the sugar was the hardest! I also started working out. When I began exercising, I didn't know if I'd be able to stick with it. It was SO HARD for me. I started by just walking around the block. Gradually, I realized I could walk farther. Pretty soon, I was actually looking forward to my walk and seeing how much I could handle each day. Eventually, I worked my way up to exercising 5 times a week. I have alternated my workouts between classes (zumba, weight lifting, cardio dance), wii fit and other wii workout games, walking outside in the neighborhood and doing the walk away the pounds DVDs.

I began my journey last October. By January, I walked a 5k in honor of my mother-in-law, who we lost to multiple myeloma. This January I am hoping to run that same 5k, and I know she will be cheering me on :).

Stick with it. It can be done. It's not fast or easy, but it feels so much better!
  • BritainRaining
    Options
    I lost 115lbs. in 9 months. I ate nothing but Jenny Craig from Sept. 7th, 2009 until June 2010, gradually working my way off of it. It changed my life and my life style. Oh, and btw- I was only 15 years old at the time. :) You can do anything you set your mind to. I wasn't okay or happy with being fat, so I did something. It was a lot of hard-work and took self-determination, but I made it happen.
  • 2markia
    Options
    What is helping you lose? Do you exercise? What types of food do you eat?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!