Online dating websites

Options
124»

Replies

• vlland
    vlland Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I dated online for a few years. Meet lots of guys thru Match but none that actually worked out long term, eharmony sucks!!!! met my current bf on plenty of fish. I tried smaller sites but most people lived far away. My advice is plenty of fish or match but be willing to weed through a lot of maybes as well as definitely nots. It doesn't hurt to try and it helps with boredom in the meantime. Met lots of friends if not love connections over the last couple of years. If u r weary about putting urself out there u can keep ur picture private. I did and only sent my photo to guys I was interested in. I just stated my photos were private for professional reasons and I would sent photos if asked. U get more responses with photos for sure but if a man is really interested in a relationship with a quality girl they will take the extra step to request ur picture. Worked for me :)
  • DorothyR87
    Options
    I actually met my husband on Match.com. I think that by using a paying site it helps weed out a lot of weirdos and people just looking for hookups. And you can't expect to meet someone that you could have a relationship with right away. I think I went on dates with maybe half a dozen guys and weeded out dozens more through just conversation before I met my husband. It's been nearly 6 years and we are still together.
  • oudixon
    oudixon Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have tried okcupid and pof and usually just have conversations for a short time then it stops or they are weird people. I have tried match.com and eharmony- but no real luck. WHich is probably one reason I came here is because I knew I had to change my appearance. I still have eharmony- but done at the end of the month. I don't see myself renewing it. It's tough here because of how touristy it is and everything. But right now I am more focused on weight-loss then dating.
  • rhondagamountain
    rhondagamountain Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree with the ladies that the dating sites can work for you if you are proactive about it, don't let people waste your time on emails and phone calls and keep first meetings short. If you can make your profile private do it so only the people you select can see you. Send emails instead of waiting for them to be sent to you. If you find someone interesting then just exchange a couple of emails and then talk on phone once and if that goes well you meet them during the day for coffee. Saturday at 10:30 a.m. at Starbucks will weed out people looking for booty calls. You meet and see if they are who and what they held themselves out to be and if there is chemistry and then make plans for lunch date at another time which will further weed out people not interested in getting to know you. I would not meet someone at night until the third time and then meet them in public with your own car so you can leave so you can leave if at anytime you feel uncomfortable. Dating this way will be hit and miss and in bigger cities it can be a lot of work taking many coffee and lunch dates to find someone compatible and mutual interest but it is not worse than blind dates set up through friends.
  • shrinking_cylon
    shrinking_cylon Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I met my current boyfriend in a random chat room, many years ago ;) Could have gone terribly wrong but he is wonderful. I've also made some friends on okc and fetlife (if that's your cup of tea).
  • Clameater
    Clameater Posts: 317
    Options
    adultfriendfinder.com is pretty good
  • taryn_09
    taryn_09 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i did pof. its not a bad idea, plus its pretty common now since a lot of people are super busy to meet someone.
    i dont knock it.

heck if i meet someone who cares how :D
  • faradaysdream
    faradaysdream Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've done online dating off and on for the last 4 years. My most serious relationships (lasting 8-16 months) were from eHarmony...and a few shorter (under 3 months) on Match. I had a few dates from PoF and OKcupid...but nothing serious. The kind of man I'm looking for just isn't on free sites...but many of my friends have had great luck on PoF.

Online dating is a great avenue for meeting people you wouldn't normally meet. You'll have better luck on more populated sites...but that will depend on your location and demographic. It's usually recommended that you try one free site and one pay site at the same time.