Natural Laxative suggestions please

Options
Sorry, i know, TMI topic but advice would be appreciated.

So, i've never been a person that poos daily. Its about every 4 days for me. Yes, i'm serious. People always said that i needed to eat healthier/drink more water/ cut out the junk food/ etc etc. Well i've obviously done that but no change. I eat lots of fruits and veggies daily, I average about 12 cups of water a day, still twice a week tops. Thursday I actually took my very first laxative because it had been a week and my stomach was starting to hurt. I dont want to rely on these. Any natural remedies anyone can suggest?

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Eat a couple Atkins bars, you'll be raining hellfire onto your porcelain throne.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Do you take codeine? That causes constipation.
  • onezeronine
    onezeronine Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    First of all, some people poop three times a week, some poop three times a day, and all that's normal. Unless you're having problems or feeling uncomfortable, don't worry about it.

Otherwise, prunes.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Eat a couple Atkins bars, you'll be raining hellfire onto your porcelain throne.

:laugh: You're fab. Stay right here.
  • teacupowl
    teacupowl Posts: 104
    Options
    Honestly, for me, coffee works pretty well. I don't drink it often, only on the weekends. If I've been having any sorts of problems the last couple of days, it seems to do the trick.

But like the other poster said, everyone is different. If twice a week is regular for your body and you don't feel any discomfort, then don't worry about it.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    As others have said, prunes are a good natural laxative. Same with dates and dried apricots. I drink a green supplement every morning and then go like clock work... (TMI, I know!!)
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I hear coffee all the time but i dont drink it. I would be willing to give it a try.

I guess i dont mind twice a week but everytime i say that i go every 4 days people act like that's terribly unhealthy. The 3rd day does, however, get kind of uncomfortable.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Instead of laxatives, please oh please bump up your fiber & water intake.
    Source of 'lots of fiber":
    Psyllium seeds
    Chia seeds

Some laxatives are down right DANGEROUS & cause PERMANENT damage, ie enteric nerve damange !!
    Best to stay aware from laxatives.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/AboutThisSite/AM00057
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    aloe vera juice worked for me. 8oz glass

followed up with megafiber, metamucil,etc
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Multiple great suggestion from Dr. Andrew Weil (Harvard MD, who also believes in natural remedies) at this link...

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART00677/digestive-health

Although as a fiber supplement, I'd recommend Fiber Choice tablets. Much more pleasant & better tasting than the powders.
  • sweetpea129
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions- i really will try all of these until i find something that works.

And I agree about laxatives. Not good. I just couldnt take it anymore.

I think my water intake is good. Fiber is good too. So not sure where else to change my diet?
  • maraq
    maraq Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Don't rely on laxatives - your body will get used to them and they can cause all sorts of problems.

You say you've been trying to eat healthier but with no results - do you eat whole grains? Steel cut oatmeal (no the microwave stuff), quinoa, etc? Nuts and seeds can help too. Prunes and prune juice, while full of sugar are super super effective. A small glass of prune juice at night (especially if it's warm) can really help.

A magnesium supplement (something like Natural Calm) can make a big difference too - but if you are on medications or have kidney disease, check with your doctor before using (but in general it is safer than laxatives).
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I am all about yoga, pillates and barre... the more active I become , the more regular I get .
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My mum used to eat liquorice during her chemo sessions when her whole system was messed up. Used to work for her.
  • sweetpea129
    Options
    Oh, theres no trying, i DO eat healthy. I remember reading about magnesium a while back. Worth a try!
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    40% bran flakes for me, works in a few hours usually. A hot shower sometimes too, believe it or not. And patience. Grab a good back and have a seat. :) If I'm really desperate I go for ice cream or a glass of milk because I'm lactose intolerant and I'm running in agony within 30-45 minutes.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    400 mg magnesium citrate every day.
    Also prune juice!

ETA-lots of spinach and watermelon too.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    what do your fiber macros look like ?

For me bran flakes for breakfast / porridge. Prunes work well too
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    A strong cup of coffee.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Senna tablets (it's a pill, but it is natural)

Or Taco Bell.