500 net calorie diet

Options
13»

Replies

• cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Hi, i'm recently new to this place, not so new with the app since i'm really into using it daily for my diet but i've been wondering to ask something to those who care to reply.

I have a goal to lose weight quickly instead of doing the long waits of just barely losing 2 or 1 pound a week like how the system recommends you to do so i decided to do a diet that has successfully worked out for me for a month.(sadly i stopped doing it for a month after losing a good amount of weight however ive managed to keep the same weight throught this month)

Its a diet that involves me only getting a net intake of 500-550 calories a day, sometimes lower. The process for me requires me to only consume at least 1100 to 1200 calories a day and burn off 700 calories or a few more a day in exercise, thus leaving the net of 500 in day. The exercise routine i follow is workout 6 times a week in purely cardio and some strength training with only a day off in the week. This method of diet has given good results within the month. As i said, i kinda stopped the diet within last month until recently past sunday, the day i began the diet again. So now im on it again and thus doing it, i'm wondering if what im doing as a diet is healthy for me?

From doing this diet, i feel so weak,tired, some headaches, a bit of weird visionary feelings, terrible neck and back pains and a few times, insanity!...jk on the insanity but i feel close. Hunger isn't an issue anymore since its gone away now but it's just the other stuff that annoys me. I've tried looking for similar issues like mine on the internet but i couldnt find the correct answer im seeking....

So im just thinking and well, asking too if my diet is healthy or bad for me in losing weight quickly because i dont want to end up gaining some type of body wrecking problem that aint worth it :noway:
    I currently weigh 241 and my height is 5"11 if that helps :smokin:
    ***sorry everyone i accidentally wrote in 441 pounds instead of 241 -.-

Horribly unhealthy diet and approach. You need to eat a lot more. Your body is already telling you this.

Use a calorie calculator, determine your TDEE, cut 20% from that number, and start eating that many calories. Continue exercising and lift some weights a couple times a week. Monitor your progress by weighing yourself once per week in the morning. Aim for 1-2 lbs a week. Adjust your diet/exercise from there based on your results.
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Ahhh the wonders of MFP :ohwell: :ohwell: It gives me a sense of hope after what I just read.
    If you were to do the 500 diet, you are seriously destined for some MAJOR complications and ANY doctor that would even mention this sort of diet should be sued for malpractice.
    In saying that, I see that you changed your mind and opted for something more reasonable so GOOD FOR YOU! Just remember... quick weight loss will usually set you up for failure down the track meaning you will regain weight fairly quickly....
  • 141by2016
    141by2016 Posts: 179
    Options
    I would bet a box of doughnuts that your doctor did NOT say this was healthy. They may have said you need a 500 calorie DEFICIT, but not a 500 calorie NET....
  • DeBiKin
    DeBiKin Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You say that you are enjoying the big burns (exercising a lot). That is the absolute best thing that you can do. It will tighten your skin faster anyway (over and above the fat loss).
    The problem with the extremely low calories is this: your vital organs, tissues and blood needs a constant supply of certain nutrients 24/7. Your brain also needs fat to function normally too. Your body WILL steal from available tissues in order to maintain those nutrients which are transported through your blood (that's why they can detect some health problems with blood tests).
    This is not to ridicule you for not knowing it but you were "hearing" your body tell you that you were deficient in at least one area of nutrition. Do not be afraid to believe your body when it talks to you. Additionally, some of the crappy feeling will be coming from the rapid release (due to rapid fat loss) of toxins that have been stored (probably for years) in those fat cells. So here's the deal, if you work like a horse, you can eat like a horse. I understand the desire to get this process over as quickly as possible but your primary concern sends to be permanent damage... Yes, depending on how extreme and how long you maintain that kind of diet, you will have oxidation problems and age faster for one thing. Also, as strange as it sounds, you risk becoming anorexic because your body becomes accustomed to such low calories it just changes somehow and it almost doesn't think you've lost enough fat so you wasn't to keep going. Depending on your age, you can get away with it for a while but as you get closer to your goal weight your fat loss will slow down, it happens to everyone. Personally I think it's part of out magnificent bodies making sure that we really want to get rid the rest of our reserved. I say these things out of experience. So, you've taken a break this least month from the extreme routine but your weight is the same... This has been my experience in that department: When I was exercising a lot and eating enough, I built up some muscle. When i stopped burning excess calories, I did not gain weight.My clothes started getting tighter but the scale didn't say so. I was re-gaining my fat while my muscles were shrinking so there was no notice difference on the scale. We are supposed to be supportive of peoples diets on MFP but sometimes that includes encouraging pals to stay healthy. Bottom line, whether or nit you listen to any of us, listen to your body. Good luck, good health. :)
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    The faster you lose the weight the quicker you will gain it once you've stopped your crazy diet/exercise regime. Good luck with that :flowerforyou:
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options

From doing this diet, i feel so weak,tired, some headaches, a bit of weird visionary feelings, terrible neck and back pains and a few times, insanity!...jk on the insanity but i feel close. Hunger isn't an issue anymore since its gone away now but it's just the other stuff that annoys me. I've tried looking for similar issues like mine on the internet but i couldnt find the correct answer im seeking....

So other than the impending death it's going great? :tongue:
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • m00tmike
    m00tmike Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Ok i get what everyone is saying that its bad and unhealthy, but the diet has given good results in losing weight.
    I've lost like 14 lbs on that one month i did it, somehow thought it seems even harder than before...

Just for perspective, I've lost 35lbs since July and I eat waaaaay more than 500 net calories a day. Just guessing here, but if you're 240 I would bet you should eat around 2000 a day and burn 500 or so. But yes, please eat way more.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your opinions and reasons on why its bad...
    The thing is, i just wanna lose weight quickly because ive been fat my whole life and i thought its just time to do the last resort of powerful dieting and exercise. Doing this diet made me feel like i was losing fat and people actually told me it was working but the effects it gave off as a consequence were unbearably painful through the physical and emotional state.
    I just hate waiting so long for results and i thought simply subtracting calories towards a goal that doesn't trigger the starvation mode would help me get to my dream quicker....

I'll change my diet to something a bit more in adequate weight loss levels because i dont wanna end up destroying my body with a damn diet -.-

any suggestions for a good healthy diet? like in calories and stuff??

You put it on over a lifetime but must lose it quickly. Good luck with that attitude. My journey is about HEALTH. Health is priceless. You might wanna think about that just a bit. Another person who expects a quick fix. Oh, and temporary extreme measures gives temporary results. Yup, I'm being 'mean"; I call it "tough love".

Oh, I do things a bit different than most here at MFP. Feel free to look at my diary.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Hi

You are getting some good advice on here from good people. This fitnesspal thing is not just about losing weight - but it is also about you and your life as much as anything. I will tell you a story. When I was about 25 my marriage broke up - and I ran back to Mom and hid from the world. I was fat.

Then one day my sister asked me to take her to the dance. I looked through the door and saw a vision of people enjoying themselves. I went home and from that point forwards I ate about 500 calories a day. I went down to 11 stone 7 pounds within a couple of months. My own brother did not recognise me.

Then I went back to that dance. I stood at the bar on my own and ordered a drink - and within ten minutes someone put a note in my hand. I never looked back. That was many years ago but never forget it and what it did for my life I went to the rugby club and going thru the door someone was coming out with their kitbag I asked him where someone could get a game of rugby. He said You are Welsh arent you? I said yes and he said Saturday - my life started from that point forward.

But still make sure you get a good mix of proteins, carbs and fats and avoid junk foods

Stop this. Please. You do know that you are breaking the site rules, right?
  • Skinnymini826
    Options
    This just made my day xD I'm new and haven't figured out the replying thing yet. Not the "diet", the Bill Murray thing.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Are you a troll? How on earth could this be healthy???:noway:

Exactly...

I have someone on my FL who is eating something similar, but she's under a doctor's care. OP, if you're serious, no, this is not healthy. You know that the symptoms that you described are not normal. Just be patient and lose the weight in a healthy manner. If you're so set on only eating 500 calories, see a doctor that can monitor your weight loss.
This discussion has been closed.