40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• karijoeide
    Options
    Excited to find this club, nice to have feedback from people in the same age group, some with same issues, many with different issue but positive energy is a plus, kudos to whoever started this, I will be checking/logging in often! Have a great day everyone, make healthy choices and move your body :)
  • ferrytrip
    ferrytrip Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Dfinitely 40+ but not cool at all
  • Ackbersingh
    Ackbersingh Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That is so good. Keep it up ????
  • Ackbersingh
    Ackbersingh Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm new to your 40+ club and so glad to have found it!:bigsmile: pls add me so I never lose touch with you guys (and dolls) :laugh:
  • KLiK3xs
    KLiK3xs Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hey all! My name is kim (male :)), I wanna join only to read all these nice young peep's replies!...lol
    I'm reaching my first anniversary of age 59... can i peek in on you?

I joined awhile back, slacked off and returned about a month ago... it is absolutly (don't mind my spelling...) amazing that by tracking calories alone can cause a weight loss! Then by adding in a little extra activities-wow.

looking forward to reading and learning...
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Crazy4lulu, welcome!!! We can use expert advice here!!! What % of macros you would suggest to a female client, 50, 65inches tall who would like to gain lean body mass, tighten up. :wink: That person would be me. LOL :laugh: I teach Zumba twice a week and do weight trng with dumbbells (at home) 3 times a week and Bikram yoga once a week. On a good day I weigh 126lbs but tend to hang around 128-130lbs. :flowerforyou:

Kim, looking good at 59!! :drinker:

Whatabroad, thanks for the tip. I am a little scared about increasing my calories to close to 2200 on training days. :noway: I mainly want to gain lean body mass, tighten up, make my muscles pop and not so much lose anymore weight. I am starting to look and feel too skinny, flabby...although everyone is always complimenting me about my muscles etc.

Welcome to the new cool kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker:
  • NormaV14
    NormaV14 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    ran 5 miles this morning and ate pretty well so far, but am really bad at logging. any advice from anyone on how to motivate myself to log consistently?
  • MimiOfTheFraserValley
    Options
    Any other women here who don't have kids or am I alone in that?

Feel free to friend me. Loving this thread.

I don't have any children either. Always wanted them but it just wasn't in the cards. Honestly, I think I used it as somewhat of an excuse to not worry about my health as I didn't have to worry about having to be there for my children. I finally realized what I was doing. It was a "sour grapes" attitude and I DO have someone to worry about....ME!!! So I have changed my thinking and doing this one day at a time and looking forward towards tomorrow....

Hi! I just discovered this thread - yay, 40+es! I'm 43, & I have to say that, overall, I love being in my 40s. I know that I look younger than I am, & that comes from good genes on both sides of my family, especially my mom's. :)

I'm a single woman who's never married, & I also have no children. Not human children, anyway. I've always wanted to be a mom, but it never happened for me. If I ever get into a financially stable situation, I'll consider adoption. I have 3 cats, & they do fill much of my need to nurture & to care for others. I adore my 3 fuzz butts, & they bring a lot of joy to my life. Still, there are times when I'd love to mother another human being or two, but at least I have my cats for whom to care & love, & that's a great thing. :)

I've struggled with my weight my entire life. Part of it's genetics, as most people on both sides of my family struggled & have struggled with weight & weight-related health issues. I know that that's not the end-all-be-all of my problems, though, & I'm not blaming my family history. I've taken responsibility for my health & fitness, & I'm starting again fresh today. I've recently been laid off from my job working straight nights (a lot of people call my shift the "graveyard" shift), & this is a very good thing. It's motivating me to make much needed changes & to take the opportunity to get into a better job. Also, the first week off - I've been off for 2 weeks now - allowed me to adjust back to the land of the living. Last week I was super ill from the flu, & so that wasn't a good time to start fresh. Today, though, is a brand new day, & I'm starting by making good food choices.

I've been a member here at MFP for quite a while, but I've not been faithful with my record keeping. Yesterday, though, I started fresh with it, & today I weighed myself & measured my neck, chest, waist & hips. I'm going to keep track of these things & of my weight every Saturday morning, first thing, from now on. I recently learnt from the Canada Heart & Stroke Foundation that a person's waist size is a better indicator of a person's health & of the risks for heart attack & stroke than is a person's weight. Weight's important, of course, but there's so much more to being healthy than just a person's weight. Numbers are an excellent way to keep track of things, but they're not the end-all-be-all of where a person's at.

Anyway! I'm not trying to teach anyone anything here. Just sharing some thoughts I have. :)

I'm glad to meet other 40+ people - we're at a great time in our lives. It sounds like some of you are celebrating that, & y'all seem like a great bunch!

Any other Canadians here? I'm from the Fraser Valley in southwestern BC. :)
  • skschuler
    skschuler Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ttruhol
    ttruhol Posts: 4,326 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! So glad to find all of your very motivating people over 40. I am just 49 for the first time and looking forward to having a group of people for some positive support! :smile:
  • CHRISTTY33
    Options
    That is:smile: awesome!!!!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I have increased my weightlifting and circuit training which has left me hungrier.

I am really sore today. Whewwww

I hope all of you are well and in good spirits.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Welcome newcomers, join in the chat!

MichelleNRgzed - I'm north of you in Prince George! Sounds like you know what needs to get done. =)

alf - yes, it sounds like a lot for someone who isn't eating anywhere near that much but you do need to eat at a surplus to build up muscle. A huge jump wouldn't be the way to start... small increases over the next few weeks might be the better choice for you?

Norma - I do it because I preplan my days, that works for me. The odd time I throw something in but I usually stick to what's there. I guess it's like exercising, you just have to want to!

caramel - them muscles are hungry! Feed them!!

Today was active rest for me, 4 mile brisk walk in the beautiful sunshine! Then it was one of my favorite days... food planning and prep for the week. One of my FL buddies posted a recipe for pumpkin oatmeal protein muffins, they are yummy! They will fit into my higher carb days nicely.

Since I am a few hours behind most of you... get the week started right with an awesome Monday morning workout!!
  • alf1163
    Options
    I just binged on Crunchy Raisin Bran!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grumble: :noway: :explode: :angry: :mad: frustrated, anxious, stressed out, hungry, etc etc etc Ok, rant is over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Move on!!! :tongue: :laugh:

Whatabroad, do you only lift? I lift on the days I don't teach Zumba. Do you consider training days the days you only lift or also cardio days? I lift 3 times a week and teach Zumba on two different days a week. I meed to figure what days should be the lower carb days.

Welcome newcomers!!! :drinker:

This is page 20 which means this thread will be locked soon! I forgot how to open another one...Beeps can you do me the honors?? Or anybody else here? We will post the link so you can easily find us. :flowerforyou:
  • 1968samuel
    1968samuel Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Kim - I did the exact same thing. Started then stopped. I am amazed what a difference logging has made for me!

Did my first deadlifts over the weekend. And I enjoyed it! Who knew? I'm shooting for three days of lifting this week.

So nice to see all the new people! This is a great place to share and receive support!

Happy Monday!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    My 2- week plan:

1. lift 4 x per week this week; lift 3 x per week next week;
    2. scheduled cardio on Saturday;
    3. fast today + hopefully fast tomorrow

MONTH-end reporting is HERE! So, yes, I'm coming off a couple of BAD weeks and I'll have to do serious damage-control this week, and then hopefully get back into just a slight deficit over the next 4 weeks.
  • robjenga
    robjenga Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm freshly 40. Anyone wanna be my friend to help me through this tough time? :)!!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Back fron another weekend away. Did the 5.7 miles run on mackinaw Island with a friend. I didn't get in, so had planned to run as a bandit runner, but managed to snafu a bib# at the very last minute. So, I ran as a 31 year old. :wink:

Weather has been horrible, so the 2.5 drive home yesterday was a little harrowing at times. Very slick roads. Time to get the winter tires on!

Today is a run day...hope I don't cope out on myself because of the weather. It's time to start getting used to running in the cold again.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon cool kids! I am having a tough time today. I just am dragging! I did make it to the gym this morning and usually lift and do some cardio on Mondays, but just lifted today. Just didn't have it in me to do the cardio. Ugh! I have a short week as I am off on Friday to spend the day with Jake! Yeah! Grammy Time!!!

Hope everyone has a good Monday!
  • alf1163
    Options
    Happy Monday!!! :drinker: :drinker: I had a nice lifting session. I teach Zumba tonight. I decided to lift on the days that I also teach (cardio) and have two true rest days in between workouts. I will see how I do with that. But soon I will be going on vacation to celebrate my 50th bday. So everything will change for 2 weeks.

robjenga, welcome!! :drinker:

Beeps, do you do 24 hr fasts? I have never tried that. I do 16/8 6 days a week. I've stayed on course for about 5 weeks now, possibly longer.

Have a wonderful day!!! :flowerforyou: