Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Awful weight loss advice on Facebook

Replies

• Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    ive seen most of them listed on MFP too. I dont get your point. Now we are FB shaming too?

Are we pointing out ridiculous misinformation on the Internet via a site that encourages a healthy, balanced and sustainable approach to eating? Yes.
  • kteinert
    kteinert Posts: 1 Member
    Mutant13, your brand of sarcasm makes me happy. Pretty sure you're my favorite person today. Thought you should know. =)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    pretty much every MFP myth summed up in one posting...brilliant! LOl ..actually its sad how much BS perpetrates the weight loss/fitness industry ..

It all boils down to that a certain percentage of people are Lazy as hell and they want a quick fix and will pay for it....

hard work + sweat + calorie deficit = BS to those types..they want thermo nuclear fat burners that will melt all their fat off in 5 hours ...
  • ndj1979
    ive seen most of them listed on MFP too. I dont get your point. Now we are FB shaming too?
    how is this shaming to point out BS myths...?
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    I don't think half of them are that bad though. The ones about pills or sushi for a week are kind of dumb, yes, but the rest are just about detox and there's nothing bad about that. I think that if they'd say that they were planning to go like that for the rest of their lives, then it would be bad advice, but otherwise it's honestly fine.

You don't need to 'detox' your body. That's what your liver and kidneys are for. Adequate water intake is all that is necessary to the process that your body performs by itself.
    What are all these 'toxins' we keep hearing about anyway? Can anyone actually name them?
    And how exactly is blended spinach juice supposed to help 'cleanse' your body? Explain the actual biological process that would occour.
    How would eliminating solids from your diet assist in the removal of supposed toxins from your body? Wouldn't the minimised roughage and bulk in fact inhibit the digestive process? The thing your body does to get rid of things it doesn't want?

The while concept of 'detoxing' is flawed, unsupported by evidence and frankly dangerous.

I totally understand, I wrote something similar but then decided not to post it because if someone is an ADULT and doesn't know or understand how their liver and kidneys function then it's just WTF. :laugh:

But just for all the fun, here is some info about the kidneys:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidney

And let's review the liver, shall we?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver

'Detoxes' and 'cleanses' have a psychological benefit in that they give the person doing them a sense of temporary control which can boost their self-esteem. The physical benefit comes from the increased water intake (most 'detoxes' and 'cleanses' require you to drink lots of water).
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    What's that supposed to mean? Some of that advice could actually be helpful. There's dumb-a** comments too, but I think that she's over-reacting. The post about not eating carbs after 3 isn't a bad one, for example. The body metabolizes food faster/better early than in the late evening so that may work for some people. Also, detoxing for a week isn't a bad thing. It cleans out your system and can jump start a clean diet. THe only posts I find truly stupid are the ones talking about pills, eating one food for a week, or anything super drastic that is never going to work long-run.

Yes those are just as bad.

Your body couldn't care less when you feed it. It isn't on a clock.

Detoxing is completely unecessary. That's why we have a liver and kidneys. Drink plenty of water and your body will purr like a a Ferrari. Besides that, detoxing can kill all the good bacteria in your intestines. Seeing as those are needed for good digestive health, detoxing can actually be bad for you.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    how is this shaming to point out BS myths...?

Debunking myths and conspiracy theories is what the internet was designed for...or should have been :)
  • ndj1979
    What's that supposed to mean? Some of that advice could actually be helpful. There's dumb-a** comments too, but I think that she's over-reacting. The post about not eating carbs after 3 isn't a bad one, for example. The body metabolizes food faster/better early than in the late evening so that may work for some people. Also, detoxing for a week isn't a bad thing. It cleans out your system and can jump start a clean diet. THe only posts I find truly stupid are the ones talking about pills, eating one food for a week, or anything super drastic that is never going to work long-run.

no carbs after 3 pm is a myth....i eat carbs in the evening have lost weight and maintain about 12-13% body fat...

your body naturally detoxes itself - its called crapping and peeing - so there is no need for additional detoxing....you cannot 'jumpstart" your metabolism....
  • Mutant13

Please link a scholarly, peer reviewed article that supports any of this
  • supplemama
    you cannot 'jumpstart" your metabolism....

LOL silly don't you know your metabolism goes to sleep when you do? And it doesn't wake up on it's own. You need to jumpstart it every day or you will gain all the fats!
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13, your brand of sarcasm makes me happy. Pretty sure you're my favorite person today. Thought you should know. =)

Thankyou! You will be rewarded in the New World of Empress Mutant
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member

LOL silly don't you know your metabolism goes to sleep when you do? And it doesn't wake up on it's own. You need to jumpstart it every day or you will gain all the fats!

This is why I gained all that weight!! Stupid me, I forgot to jumpstart my metabolism.
    That's a relief, I was beginning to think it was the chocolate biscuits and laying on the couch watching TV that caused it.
  • staystrong_314159
    staystrong_314159 Posts: 43 Member
    I don't think half of them are that bad though. The ones about pills or sushi for a week are kind of dumb, yes, but the rest are just about detox and there's nothing bad about that. I think that if they'd say that they were planning to go like that for the rest of their lives, then it would be bad advice, but otherwise it's honestly fine.

You don't need to 'detox' your body. That's what your liver and kidneys are for. Adequate water intake is all that is necessary to the process that your body performs by itself.
    What are all these 'toxins' we keep hearing about anyway? Can anyone actually name them?
    And how exactly is blended spinach juice supposed to help 'cleanse' your body? Explain the actual biological process that would occour.
    How would eliminating solids from your diet assist in the removal of supposed toxins from your body? Wouldn't the minimised roughage and bulk in fact inhibit the digestive process? The thing your body does to get rid of things it doesn't want?

The while concept of 'detoxing' is flawed, unsupported by evidence and frankly dangerous.

I get your point, and it's true that the kidneys are meant for detox, but if you've been eating junk food all your life and/or not been drinking well for years, it won't work as well and the person may want to speed the cleanse up. Most foods have additives/ are processed/ etc and would therefore have more toxins than blended spinach juice. Also, there are many kinds of detoxes and not all of them involve just spinach. The key concept is to give your digestive system a rest by not taking in any heavy foods or stuff that's not good for the body while also feeding it a lot of vitamins, nutrients, and other "good" things. Biologically, under such strain, the digestive system won't be doing it's job as well, which will take a toll on the body. The organs become overloaded with toxin, which leads to acne, less fat loss, constipation, etc. An example of this is how vegans often claim to have more energy and vegan teens have almost no acne (I'd know because I am vegan). When you take in only liquids that are fruit/veg, they go quickly through your system, cleaning it, and giving it a break. The body recovers and you become healthier. Obviously, I'm not a bio professor so I don't know the minute detail, but that's the gist.

On "toxins," those are anything harmful to the body. Look at the food labels in your kitchen and I'd be surprised if you could pronounce everything. Every additive, pesticide, chemical flavoring, and food dye isn't good for you. I think we can all agree on that. Obviously, it's impossible not to take in any at all, but the idea is to clean your body a bit every now and then.

You talk about "roughage and bulk" and how it'll only "inhibit the digestive process," but foods that are too heavy or bulky only strain the stomach and are hard to digest. Juice, on the other hand, barely requires any digestion. The body has been adapted to digest and detox over several millenia, which means that unless you eat like a caveman, it won't be perfect. The things we put in our foods today are beyond our bodies capabilities. Also, our body is ethnicity specific, which is why if I, for example, eat a lot of Indian food my stomach will hurt, but my friend's won't. Not all the foods we eat today are able to be digested well by the body.

You say that there is no evidence and that it's "dangerous," but if there's not evidence, how can you know that it's dangerous? Hundreds of people have detoxed and it's worked out fine for them. There's a lot of personal reports saying that it's been good for them (I can vouch that detox is beneficial as well). Obviously, there are people for whom this won't work, but you have to take into account that our bodies are all different and that there's no set rules for how to detox. Everyone does it differently so it's not going to have the same results necessarily. Also, there's scientific proof that toxin can lead to cancer and major illnesses, so getting rid of that can't possibly have a negative effect. Overall, excessive detox will be harmful, but for a few days to a week is fine.
  • staystrong_314159

This is why I gained all that weight!! Stupid me, I forgot to jumpstart my metabolism.
    That's a relief, I was beginning to think it was the chocolate biscuits and laying on the couch watching TV that caused it.

I like your sense of humor :D. I think what the other person was trying to say though was that your metabolism slows and quickens throughout the day. At night, it does actually slow down; in the morning, it quickens. Things like exercise, muscle gain, etc does temporarily speed up your metabolism because it either raises your pulse or creates a greater need for energy. It's pointless to try to lose weight just by jump starting the metabolism however. What detox usually does is gets rid of some water weight and cleans the body, which makes it a better system. This may increase your metabolism a bit, but you need to make a lifestyle change for it to stay. You don't need to jumpstart your met every morning though. . . . Our body does that by itself. You can do things in the morning that will make it higher, but I don't think that's mandatory.
  • staystrong_314159

Please link a scholarly, peer reviewed article that supports any of this

Most of these are theories that certain people have profited off of, but okay. http://www.csulb.edu/~druz/wesconemb/BioImmune.pdf It's an edu which says "Heavy metal detoxification has been shown to decrease cancer mortality
    by 90%" and lists several side effects of too much heavy metal such as early aging. During the study, it references juice several times and diet supplements. There's no vitamin included in those that plain juice won't have.
  • bohica36
    bohica36 Posts: 67 Member
    Is there a test to determine if I am a magic unicorn space princess? It would be interesting to know before I start my "Leftover Halloween Candy Diet"

On another note, I don't understand the detox debate. Detox has done wonders for some of my friends! Oh wait, that's not the type of detox you are talking about. Never mind...
  • supplemama
    Is there a test to determine if I am a magic unicorn space princess? It would be interesting to know before I start my "Leftover Halloween Candy Diet"

On another note, I don't understand the detox debate. Detox has done wonders for some of my friends! Oh wait, that's not the type of detox you are talking about. Never mind...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Mutant13

I get your point, and it's true that the kidneys are meant for detox, but if you've been eating junk food all your life and/or not been drinking well for years, it won't work as well and the person may want to speed the cleanse up. Most foods have additives/ are processed/ etc and would therefore have more toxins than blended spinach juice. Also, there are many kinds of detoxes and not all of them involve just spinach. The key concept is to give your digestive system a rest by not taking in any heavy foods or stuff that's not good for the body while also feeding it a lot of vitamins, nutrients, and other "good" things. Biologically, under such strain, the digestive system won't be doing it's job as well, which will take a toll on the body. The organs become overloaded with toxin, which leads to acne, less fat loss, constipation, etc. An example of this is how vegans often claim to have more energy and vegan teens have almost no acne (I'd know because I am vegan). When you take in only liquids that are fruit/veg, they go quickly through your system, cleaning it, and giving it a break. The body recovers and you become healthier. Obviously, I'm not a bio professor so I don't know the minute detail, but that's the gist.

On "toxins," those are anything harmful to the body. Look at the food labels in your kitchen and I'd be surprised if you could pronounce everything. Every additive, pesticide, chemical flavoring, and food dye isn't good for you. I think we can all agree on that. Obviously, it's impossible not to take in any at all, but the idea is to clean your body a bit every now and then.

You talk about "roughage and bulk" and how it'll only "inhibit the digestive process," but foods that are too heavy or bulky only strain the stomach and are hard to digest. Juice, on the other hand, barely requires any digestion. The body has been adapted to digest and detox over several millenia, which means that unless you eat like a caveman, it won't be perfect. The things we put in our foods today are beyond our bodies capabilities. Also, our body is ethnicity specific, which is why if I, for example, eat a lot of Indian food my stomach will hurt, but my friend's won't. Not all the foods we eat today are able to be digested well by the body.

You say that there is no evidence and that it's "dangerous," but if there's not evidence, how can you know that it's dangerous? Hundreds of people have detoxed and it's worked out fine for them. There's a lot of personal reports saying that it's been good for them (I can vouch that detox is beneficial as well). Obviously, there are people for whom this won't work, but you have to take into account that our bodies are all different and that there's no set rules for how to detox. Everyone does it differently so it's not going to have the same results necessarily. Also, there's scientific proof that toxin can lead to cancer and major illnesses, so getting rid of that can't possibly have a negative effect. Overall, excessive detox will be harmful, but for a few days to a week is fine.

I can't debate this properly with you if you're going to use flawed information. Anecdotes are not science. There are is no scientific evidence for a detox being beneficial.

I disagree with the notion that all food additives are bad for you. Many chemical stabilisers that are added to your food reduce the rates of bacteria and infection. Just because something isn't natural does not automatically mean it is bad for you.

I'm still struggling to understand how the biological process of a 'detox' is supposed to occour. You say that the liquids go through your organs and 'cleanse' them. How? What is actually happening in the GI tract on a chemical level that changes your bodies apparent 'toxicity'?

'Vouching' does not constitute science. Hundreds of people vouch for homeopathy, ancient aliens and the concept of racial superiority. That does not result in any of these things being fact.
  • supplemama

This is the test: Eat a lot of food. Log half of it on MFP. Gain a bunch of weight. Then say oh look! I have a body that defies physics because I gained all the fats even though I ate at a deficit! Why is this happening????

I think the Halloween Candy Diet works well with this test. Remember, don't log all that candy, that is crucial! LOL
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    fat-man-at-computer-desk.jpg