Snack ideas

Options

Replies

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m5zy48pevM1qzvbyoo1_500.jpg

Just let your snacks fit into your daily macros and caloric budget.
  • WeakLisa
    Options
    I wish almonds weren't so damn expensive. They are an amazing snack for two p.m. when I am starting to feel tired, but I have eight more hours to go for my day.
    creatureofthe - I agree almonds are expensive but I buy them anyway. It is definitely one of my favorite afternoon snacks! I buy them only lightly salted, too. I am not a big salt fan.
    RllyGudTweetr - that Little Debbie does look good. Unfortunately for me, being a type 2 diabetic, I can't have things like this but once in a great while. I try to save up for the holidays. But even then I have to be careful.
  • aimiekundert
    Options
    My fav afternoon snack- 1/4 c cooked quinoa, one green onion chopped, 2tblsp dry curd cottage cheese, 1tblsp bolthouse parm ceasar dressing, 1 tblsp cooked plain chicken breast. Mix and enjoy!
  • boopsiegrl
    boopsiegrl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    thanks i was needing that:bigsmile:
  • LaurenMariex33
    Options
    My absolute favorite snack is a small apple sliced, and dipped in two tablespoons of almond butter (homemade). It comes out to about 250 calories, so it's definitely a hefty "snack", but it's how I get most of my healthy fats for the day!
  • mhematia
    mhematia Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love the quest bars ... I just warm them up in the microwave and they serve as a tasty treat. I also really like PB2 with some veggies =)
  • WeakLisa
    Options
    My fav afternoon snack- 1/4 c cooked quinoa, one green onion chopped, 2tblsp dry curd cottage cheese, 1tblsp bolthouse parm ceasar dressing, 1 tblsp cooked plain chicken breast. Mix and enjoy!
    YUMMMM!! Sounds delicious!
  • WeakLisa
    Options
    My absolute favorite snack is a small apple sliced, and dipped in two tablespoons of almond butter (homemade). It comes out to about 250 calories, so it's definitely a hefty "snack", but it's how I get most of my healthy fats for the day!
    Oh yes, LOVE apples and (whatever)butter. A great snack.
    I love the quest bars ... I just warm them up in the microwave and they serve as a tasty treat. I also really like PB2 with some veggies =)
    Will have to check out these Quest bars. PB2 and veggies? What veggies do you use and do you just sprinkle it? Or do you mix with water for a paste?
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Sweet:
    Frozen Fruit (I just pop the pieces into my mouth and let them melt before chewing...especially love Dole Cherries)
    Fiber One Bar (I like Oats and Chocolate)
    Container Lowfat Chocolate Pudding
    Frozen Yoghurt or All-Fruit popsicle
    Small container of yoghurt
    Low Carb Protein Mini-Bars

Savoury:
    Air Popped Popcorn
    Green Salad with Basamic Vinegar (not dressing, just vinegar)
    Mini-meal (2oz lean protein like chicken, 1 cup steamed veggies, 1/2 cup brown rice)
    Boiled Egg
    Babybel Lite Cheese Round and a few almonds
  • mi18agnes
    Options
    I love those simple to make pancakes with only one egg and one banana with a natural orange juice. It's really tasty :smooched: and it fills me up.
  • rrcorleto
    rrcorleto Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a big box store (Costco, BJ, etc.) buy them raw by the bulk bag. I have 3# bags available to me here. Look around online for recipies and roast them yourself. There are many versions out there you can try. I personally have a smoker and make them a bunch of different ways in there, but the oven would work just as good. My favorite is with some worstershire, Franks Red Hot, and garlic powder, and a little brown sugar all mixed together, then I throw the almonds in the mixture and roast them. Much, much, much cheaper making them yourself this way.
  • WeakLisa
    Options
    Sweet:
    Frozen Fruit (I just pop the pieces into my mouth and let them melt before chewing...especially love Dole Cherries)
    Fiber One Bar (I like Oats and Chocolate)
    Container Lowfat Chocolate Pudding
    Frozen Yoghurt or All-Fruit popsicle
    Small container of yoghurt
    Low Carb Protein Mini-Bars

Savoury:
    Air Popped Popcorn
    Green Salad with Basamic Vinegar (not dressing, just vinegar)
    Mini-meal (2oz lean protein like chicken, 1 cup steamed veggies, 1/2 cup brown rice)
    Boiled Egg
    Babybel Lite Cheese Round and a few almonds
    @Ideabaker - Oh, yes, I like the pudding snack cups, too. I get sugar free because I have to watch my sugar. They are a yummy treat. And Babybel cheese with almonds, is wonderful!
    I love those simple to make pancakes with only one egg and one banana with a natural orange juice. It's really tasty smooched and it fills me up.
    @mi18agnes - Hmmm this is the first I've heard of these "pancakes"
    If you have access to a big box store (Costco, BJ, etc.) buy them raw by the bulk bag. I have 3# bags available to me here. Look around online for recipies and roast them yourself. There are many versions out there you can try. I personally have a smoker and make them a bunch of different ways in there, but the oven would work just as good. My favorite is with some worstershire, Franks Red Hot, and garlic powder, and a little brown sugar all mixed together, then I throw the almonds in the mixture and roast them. Much, much, much cheaper making them yourself this way.
    @rrcorleto - Roasting your own almonds is awesome! Good idea!
  • FASTFUELXXX
    FASTFUELXXX Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    BUMP FA LATER
  • CaraRahl
    CaraRahl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have an (I think) awesome trail mix that I make up. In a large container add a half cup of each of the following: brazil nuts, whole almonds, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds (shelled), dried apple pieces, goji berries, golden berries, unsweetened flaked coconut, and (my favorite part) cacao nibs coated in dark chocolate. shake to mix, and serve in 1/4 cup portions. ATM I haven't got any golden berries (apparently they're a seasonal item at bulk barn) so I'm adding raisins instead. The hard part for me is keeping my serving size to 1/4C, I love it so much :S
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I love the flavored almonds in a can- the coconut ones are great! One serving is 28 almonds which is plenty for me! Or split up the serving to pair with string cheese
  • spritesmom
    spritesmom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    good ideas everyone
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Snacks are sometimes the most difficult "meal".
    Here is a list of some of my favorite snacks. What are yours?

1. almonds

You must have more self control than me, I have to buy almonds in tiny 20g packs, they are one of my favourite foods and if I buy a pack I just can't stop nibbling!
    Love your snack suggestions!
    Laughing Cow cheese is so useful, I eat it squashed into the hollow of celery sticks and sprinkled with cayenne pepper , it makes a good snack - crunchy, takes time to eat and is tasty.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have an (I think) awesome trail mix that I make up. In a large container add a half cup of each of the following: brazil nuts, whole almonds, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds (shelled), dried apple pieces, goji berries, golden berries, unsweetened flaked coconut, and (my favorite part) cacao nibs coated in dark chocolate. shake to mix, and serve in 1/4 cup portions. ATM I haven't got any golden berries (apparently they're a seasonal item at bulk barn) so I'm adding raisins instead. The hard part for me is keeping my serving size to 1/4C, I love it so much :S

Oh no, now I feel really inadequate! You keep this is a tub in the kitchen?? Does it tick??
    I'd have to move it to the next county. :smile:
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    fruit
    fruit
    fruit
    dried fruit
    fruit
    fruit
    fruit and green smoothie
    fruit
    fruit
    smoothied fruit
    fruit
    fruit
    seeds
    fruit
  • peachcats
    Options
    My favorite snacks include pizza, ice cream, donuts, and cookies.
    IIFYM.