Losing Weight To Get Pregnant!

Options

Replies

• kirstyannkane
    Options
    Hey ladies! I'm trying to lose 3 stone so I can start IVF. I've tried once before with the guidance of a councilor we had to see as part of the initial process. I lost 3/4lb over 2 months and then just couldn't get past anymore. I'm a stone heavier now than when I tried just over a year ago and so far I have lost 10lbs over 2months (hoping for another loss when i weigh in this week) still not got the plateau I did first time but I have both endometriosis and PCOS. Does any else find that weight loss is a very slow process? Kinda feel like everyone else around me has big dramatic loses and I can be so good for a week and still not lose. Trying to keep focussed on the bigger picture but sometimes its so hard? Anyone else feel like this? xxx
  • HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I really hate to be the bearer of bad news. Losing weight does not get you pregnant, nor provide babies. I can see were you would come to this conclusion. babies are mass, mass you lose though weight loss can form a baby.
    Were M is mass and B is baby

M + ΔM = B

In reality it takes a man and a woman both to form a baby. Crazy, I know. Its true though, here is the math.

were M is man and W is Woman, and B is baby.
    (M/0)+ W = B

Long story short, you will need at minimum a doner for the other half of the baby. Good luck!

I'm pretty sure we are all aware of how babies are made!

We also know that losing weight makes it easier for those babies to be made...it helps us feel and look better, helps regulate hormones, helps to control disorders such as PCOS and diabetes and many others, and many other things that helps to get pregnant. Once pregnant, the lower weight can help make the pregnancy easier.
  • HWeatherholt
    Options
    Hey ladies! I'm trying to lose 3 stone so I can start IVF. I've tried once before with the guidance of a councilor we had to see as part of the initial process. I lost 3/4lb over 2 months and then just couldn't get past anymore. I'm a stone heavier now than when I tried just over a year ago and so far I have lost 10lbs over 2months (hoping for another loss when i weigh in this week) still not got the plateau I did first time but I have both endometriosis and PCOS. Does any else find that weight loss is a very slow process? Kinda feel like everyone else around me has big dramatic loses and I can be so good for a week and still not lose. Trying to keep focussed on the bigger picture but sometimes its so hard? Anyone else feel like this? xxx

I've never been diagnosed with PCOS, but have a friend who has it. I was doing some research into iui/Ivf for myself and read about a study done at a major hospital that showed taking d-chiro-instiol helped those with PCOS with something like a 90% greater chance of getting pregnant. I tried to find it, but could only find instiol. If you are interested about the study, let me know and I can find the reference for you.
  • HWeatherholt
    Options
    Also for those who are doing iui/Ivf, if you have any advice on funding it, I would love the information.
  • elo83
    elo83 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    We're going to start trying next year! I want to make sure I'm at a healthy weight before we conceive!
  • Diefeinbaker
    Diefeinbaker Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, my husband and I have been trying to conceive for nearly 3 years. I have polycystic ovaries. I have to get down to a bmi of 30 before we can go any further with my infertility. Feel free to add me.
  • kirstyannkane
    Options
    I took metaformin to help with weightloss and controlling my PCOS ( a drug used to control diabetes mostly) but it made me feel very sick and nauseaous. I've never heard of that before but yeah it would be great. We're going to be self funding but we will have help from our families. In the UK in private clinics you can reduce the cost of IVF/IUI though donating eggs as there is a major shortage of donors.
  • kirstyannkane
    Options
    I have PCOS and endrometrios and find it difficult to lose weight (as well as concieve lol) but im sure you will get there soon!! Keep going xx
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    This is great. Is anyone interested in starting a group for it? I'd love that!!!
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I am bumping this, because I want to read what all of you wonderful people have to say and to let you know that I am in the same boat! We have a beautiful toddler and have been trying two years for another and with the meds I have to be on, it makes my weight jump up there and could cause blood pressure issues with it, so my doctor is making me lose weight first! Good Luck to you all!
  • glass2diamonds
    Options
    Me!!! I am here to lose weight to get pregnant we were trying but the the Hub went in for hear surgery and I have OSA (obstructive sleep apnea) so we stopped for a while. I am back to focusing on losing because I failed taking phentermine and for me surgery is not a option for weight loss. Hopefully next year after I lose about 75 lbs we can "try" but really waiting until we move back to South Carolina because we dont want to raise babies in Maryland.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Keep at it ladies! get as healthy as you can before you get pregnant. The better you are the less complicated and easier the pregnancy and recoop will be!
  • HWeatherholt
    Options
    I took metaformin to help with weightloss and controlling my PCOS ( a drug used to control diabetes mostly) but it made me feel very sick and nauseaous. I've never heard of that before but yeah it would be great. We're going to be self funding but we will have help from our families. In the UK in private clinics you can reduce the cost of IVF/IUI though donating eggs as there is a major shortage of donors.

In the book, Getting Pregent: What Couples Need To Know Right Now, by Niels H. Lauersenand Colette Bouchez, they talk about this study...

"Specifically, in a recent study conducted at Johns Hopkins University, forty-four women diagnosed with PCOD received twelve hundred milligrams of D-chiro-inositol daily for six to eight weeks. The result: 86 percent ovulated, compared to 27 percent who were given a placebo. The women taking the nutritional supplement also showed a decrease in insulin and testosterone levels. Perhaps most important, the new drug appears to not have any side effects. This medication is expected to be on the market in the not-too-distant future, so check with your local pharmacy as to the availability. According to Dr. Warren, it is not surprising that D-chiro-inositol would have such positive results. The reason? This same nutrient is found in most fresh fruits and vegetables, which, says Warren, are the foods she has personally found to hold the most benefits for women with PCOD. I also believe this to be true, since many PCOD patients I have treated were able to get pregnant after I placed them on a diet that was high in these same fresh foods and when they increased their vitamin supplement intake, particularly of the B vitamins."

I tried to find D-chiro-inositol, but couldn't find it. I could find inositol, but not d-chiro.
  • mbrou28
    mbrou28 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
  • jack1925
    jack1925 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Im also losing before baby! I need to lose between 50 and 75 pounds before me and my hubby start TTC. :-)
  • WhyDelilah79
    WhyDelilah79 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm here to get to a better weight and fitter before trying for a baby too. I have one month of the pill left. Yay!

If anyone in the same boat would like to add me feel free. :-)
  • janisplomaritis
    Options
    Hi Everyone!!

I can't tell you how happy I am to know that I'm not alone. I am the happy mother to a 3 year old boy and my husband and I have been trying for 2 years to get pregnant again. I feel like a human pincushion at this point with all the blood work and doctors visit but believe that in losing a little weight (would love to lose A LOT) could help my chances of getting pregnant. I'm taking baby steps as this didn't go on over night.

I want to wish everyone luck and am happy to find that there are others in the same position as I am.

I've been using this site for 2 weeks and have lost 4lbs so far. :) I'll take every silly pound that I can at this point. :)
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to take weight off also. We are going to actively TTC starting next month. Everyone here feel free to add me as a friend. I need all the support I can get & I'm excited to help y'all also. :)
  • megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    that is so wonderful ladies! Babies are such a precious gift:)
    GOOD LUCK!!
  • xSirensSong
    xSirensSong Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow wanna-be-mommys! :flowerforyou:

It really is such a relief to know I am not in this boat all alone! I am actually unable to have children (on my own) until I lose weight, due to being the unfortunate receiver of PCOS. Losing weight is oh-so difficult for me and this process is so frustrating, as I only have 3 years to perfect this before I reach my own personal 'age limit' ~ 26.

My husband & I are not up for adopting a child, so this is it. It's time to get serious for myself and the hope & dreams of having a future family; something that I've longed and dreamed for since I was a little girl. This is the only thing I want in life at this point, and I am unable to have it since I am trapped in this prison of a body for the rest of my life. It almost depresses me when I see someone 'accidentally' get pregnant roll across my Facebook feed, someone talk badly about the baby they are carrying, or seem to disregard the fact they are carrying an amazing mini-human inside of them ~ something some women would give their lives to experience.

Anyone is free to add me ~ I love having support and giving it back in return, especially from women who share my same pain. I really am an optimistic & outgoing person, just when it comes to babies, it's a little emotional.