Can a partial vegetarian have success with Atkins

Options
Hi, I am currently transitioning to vegetarian. I do not eat meat at home, however if I go out I will eat seafood and sometimes chicken. I have been looking at the Atkins diet and wondering if it is something I can try. I eat things like veggie burgers and other Morning Star and Boca products regularly. Are these considered carbohydrates? Would I have to go back to eating meat? Which is not something that I would like to do.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    If you eat eggs and dairy, a plan like Atkins is do-able. You'll probably eat more carbohydrates than the average Atkins dieter, though.
  • gahdess59
    Options
    Hi thanks yes I still eat eggs and dairy. I think the benefits of reducing my sugar and carb intake will really give me a boost in my weight loss.....At least I'm hoping so.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    Hi thanks yes I still eat eggs and dairy. I think the benefits of reducing my sugar and carb intake will really give me a boost in my weight loss.....At least I'm hoping so.

It can help normalize any blood sugar swings you have, that's for sure. Just don't forget about fat. There are many good sources of vegetarian fat - coconut oil, red palm oil (if you can find a sustainable source of it), butter, ghee. Also, research which legumes and pseudo-grains you can get away with that have the highest protein and fiber, like quinoa and peas.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I know you didn't ask, but would you consider giving up your morning star and boca burgers? They are made with TVP and are likely to cause health problems over the long term.

We aren't there yet, but TVP is going to be the next Trans-fat. Studies are showing that TVP is not a healthy alternative to meat. Try to get you protein from non-processed sources like quinoa, legumes, beans, nuts, dairy and eggs as much as you possibly can.

Other products that aren't healthy but seem like it are soy dairy products. Tofu should only be eaten in moderation. The gmo's and pesticides used in soy production are very, very unhealthy.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    I know you didn't ask, but would you consider giving up your morning star and boca burgers? They are made with TVP and are likely to cause health problems over the long term.

We aren't there yet, but TVP is going to be the next Trans-fat. Studies are showing that TVP is not a healthy alternative to meat. Try to get you protein from non-processed sources like quinoa, legumes, beans, nuts, dairy and eggs as much as you possibly can.

Other products that aren't healthy but seem like it are soy dairy products. Tofu should only be eaten in moderation. The gmo's and pesticides used in soy production are very, very unhealthy.

I agree with this.
  • gahdess59
    Options
    Wow I did not know about the TVP. That is something I am going to have to think about. I am taking my time in this transition because I have never been a big veggie eater. I turned 31 this year and have been working on lifestyle changes. Things are going well thus far but this may be a monkey wrench. Thanks for the info
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I eat things like veggie burgers and other Morning Star and Boca products regularly. Are these considered carbohydrates?

Look at the nutrition label for the carbohydrate content - its the grams of carbohydrates that Atkins focusses on.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you're giving up meat. Adkins isn't healthy anyway. But I do see it being very difficult to do it and be vegetarian but since you aren't vegetarian I don't think it would be that difficult. It would depend on why you want to try to be vegetarian and if that outweighs your reasoning for wanting to do Akins.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Why Atkins? And for that matter, why vegetarian? Just go with high-ish protein, moderate calorie deficit.
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    So why are you doing Atkins exactly? Eat at a deficit, watch your macros (Fat, Protein, Carbs), exercise, and you'll lose weight.

I'm vegetarian and gluten free, have never tried Atkins (and never will), and am within 2lb of my "goal" weight following the above guidelines.
  • Timeforme714
    Timeforme714 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Some vegetarian soy products are better than others. You can buy organic non GMO tofu. You can do Atkin's if you are vegetarian but it will be really tough. I tried it and found that a healthy vegetarian diet that includes whole grains is better. Just my own experience though :wink:
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and satisfy protein cravings with tofu and subs however I found I was more successful when I aimed for my carb macro (55% of my daily calorie intake) then trying to go carb free. Its a much easier way to learn how to incorporate carbs in your life and is sustainable.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Combining the restrictive traits of two totally different, yet highly restrictive nutritional lifestyles is a recipe for failure for 99% of people out there.

In the end, don't do anything you wouldn't want to sustain the rest of your life.
  • FitNurseLex
    FitNurseLex Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of moderate carb dieting and carb-cycling, but find Atkins to be too restrictive and do think that you may find it hard to stick to it without getting bored if you don't eat meat at all. In the Induction phase of Atkins you won't be able to eat beans or soy at all....just veggies, cheese and eggs. So most of your "fuel" at that point would come from dairy products, eggs and the like. The acceptable foods list expands as you progress in phases, but do you think that you'll be able to commit to eating that way in the long run?

In any case, if you want to do so badly enough, you can certainly have success eating this way, but it will prove difficult. Best of luck!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you're giving up meat. Adkins isn't healthy anyway. But I do see it being very difficult to do it and be vegetarian but since you aren't vegetarian I don't think it would be that difficult. It would depend on why you want to try to be vegetarian and if that outweighs your reasoning for wanting to do Akins.

Uhm, got any proof low-carb is unhealthy? :)
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    The reason Atkins works, regardless of what the book says, is because you're cutting your calories. Plain and simple. I did Atkins for about 6 months last year and plateaued at 10 lbs. down, because...surprise! Surprise! I was no longer eating at a caloric deficit.

As an aspiring vegetarian, I wouldn't recommend Atkins for you. Is it doable? Possibly...but, it won't be enjoyable. Atkins, imo, is NOT a sustainable lifestyle for many people. However, neither is a vegetarian lifestyle. Yes, people do it, but to attempt to adhere to TWO very restrictive dietary regimens and one time is just extremely ambitious. I'd say that you should calorie count and continue on your path to a vegetarian lifestyle, rather than attempt to incorporate Atkins into your approach. If you want, you can cut back on your bread, pasta, and sugar consumption. That would lower your carbs, help stabilize your blood sugar, and allow you to incorporate more nutritious veggies and meat substitutes, like legumes (which are higher in carbs) into your diet.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

^^LOL! I do get sick of hearing how Atkins is unhealthy. "Fear fat. Fear it!" *smh*
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

Never said low carb was not healthy pal :)
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Go to the free Atkins website and sign up. It will give you a vegetarian meal plan.

Atkins can be unhealthy. After several months my cholesterol went thru the roof. Once I cut back (not eliminated) on my red meat, butter, heavy cream and whole egg (I eat a whole egg and egg whites now) consumption it went back to normal.

Atkins is mainly lean protein & non-starchy vegs if you read their books, visit their site. Eventually grains and starchy vegs get reintroduced in the pre-maintenance phase.

There are a lot of people winging this diet and they inevitably fail. If you are going to do it, do it right.

Oh and the veg plan starts out with higher carbs of course.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    So why are you doing Atkins exactly? Eat at a deficit, watch your macros (Fat, Protein, Carbs), exercise, and you'll lose weight.

I'm vegetarian and gluten free, have never tried Atkins (and never will), and am within 2lb of my "goal" weight following the above guidelines.

Same here. Unless you have a medical reason and need for reducing your carb intake, you'll likely find greater success by just tracking your caloric intake and exercising. The fewer things you give up that you enjoy the more likely you'll be to stay with it.

I'm 55%C, 20%P and 25%F. I made no huge sacrifices to get to my goal weight and size and it's very sustainable for me.

Best Wishes!