After dinner sweets!!!

Options
It does not matter how good I am throughout the day the after dinner sweet tooth always gets me!! It does not matter how long I wait or how much water I drink after my dinner I cannot kill the craving for something sweet, It does not go away in a few days or even weeks, and it is sheer torture to not have something!!! Any help on how to stop this or ideas to sate this that is low cal and natural..nope fruits wont do it..I will just eat the fruit and go right back to wanting something like cake or chocolate, not a fan of ice-cream! Any and all help is appreciated!

Replies

• ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Eat them before you eat your regular meal, don't eat them after. Solved the problem for me, but I can totally go without them :)
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Budget some calories for an after dinner treat every day.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Exactly.

Making a lifestyle change does not mean you have to give up what you like, it means portion control.

OP, you have the power and can make the choice to (1) either adjust your calorie intake for your after dinner sweet or (2) not have the sweet at all. It really is a choice. :smile:
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have a little sweet every day after dinner. I like to have 3 squares of Hershey's Bliss dark chocolate (105 calories) or a few midget tootsie rolls (70 calories) or 1/2 cup ice cream (150 calories). I must have something sweet after I eat so I do and you can too. A fun size candy bar is about 70-80 calories too. Don't deprive yourself. Just plan for it :)
  • gk03ub
    gk03ub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It is perfectly fine to treat yourself to sweets every now and then.
    But as for a daily fix of sweets, I usually have 1 tbsp of chocolate chips with a very sweet fruit or some greek yogurt and it helps me control my cravings. However, a piece of cake (or whatever treat you like) will not sabotage your weight loss efforts if you don't do it often.
  • kkay3182
    kkay3182 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for responding I do have extra calories left over (usually 200-350) I guess the best thing to do is to indulge in a small portion of something sweet.. today just 2 squares of fruit and nut chocolate did it for me at 54 calories. I was just wondering if I should try and cut out sweets altogether, I dont drink sodas or juice, all my sugar comes from fruits and desserts :)
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for responding I do have extra calories left over (usually 200-350) I guess the best thing to do is to indulge in a small portion of something sweet.. today just 2 squares of fruit and nut chocolate did it for me at 54 calories. I was just wondering if I should try and cut out sweets altogether, I dont drink sodas or juice, all my sugar comes from fruits and desserts :)

Yes.. But if you can't, don't force yourself, because you'll only binge when you least expect it, like I used to do. Then you'll be upset again :|
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    sugar free jello cup w 2 tbsp lite cool whip= 30 cal
  • nerge
    nerge Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Lindt dark chocolate with roasted almonds does the trick for me (most days) I've one square with a cuppa tea and I'm kept sweet :)
  • kkay3182
    kkay3182 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I will try all the suggestions until I nail it!! I appreciate all the input!
  • StephLourenco
    Options
    Guilt-Free Ice Cream. Two ingredients. Frozen bananas and peanut butter. Freeze the bananas, chop them up, throw them in the blender with a few spoonfuls of peanut butter, and blend til smooth. - I actually make this all the time during the summer. It's good as it is, but even better when you add a dash of chocolate syrup :) The texture is surprisingly like soft-serve ice cream.
  • faradaysdream
    faradaysdream Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound odd...but try brushing your teeth. Most of the time, when I'm craving something...if I brush my teeth, it will go away.

For natural things that are sweet, I love the peanut butter banana "ice cream" above. I make it all the time. Also, medjool dates (1 or 2) seem to satisfy that sweet ...I have a massive sweet tooth too...sometimes you just have to budget properly and get some chocolate cake though :)
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    This! You do not have to deprive yourself to have successful weightloss. I have lost 123lbs in 15/16 months, I have ice cream every single day.

http://impruvism.com/flexible-dieting-basics/
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

Exactly.

Making a lifestyle change does not mean you have to give up what you like, it means portion control.

OP, you have the power and can make the choice to (1) either adjust your calorie intake for your after dinner sweet or (2) not have the sweet at all. It really is a choice. :smile:

Yes, all of the above!
  • Mustgetbuff
    Mustgetbuff Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way but I find it helps to just suck on a sweet hard candy, like a Werther's Original, after dinner. It's 20 calories so I can go nuts and have a few if the craving is really bad, though I find one does the trick. I also like to make chai tea with milk and sweetener after dinner to help curve a craving.
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Why on earth should you cut out sweets altogether? This about changing for life so if you deny yourself things you enjoy you will not be able to sustain it. All you have to do is count the cals in everything you eat and keep within your allowances. This INCLUDES - SOME chocolate/cake/ice cream or whatever. Remember it isn't about denial...you have to enjoy your food or it is just drudgery.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    With the exception of pre/post workout meals, it doesn't matter really too much what you eat when. Find out your macros and eat whatever fills those paramaters. The speed of your success will obviously very depending on how healthy you go, but as long as you are within them, you're most fine.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Eat ice cream.

You seem hung up on "healthy" foods or something. There's no such thing. Eat your ice cream or cookie or whatever. Enjoy life.
  • Chaimoney
    Options
    lemon juice is so sour it always counteracts my sweet cravings- try having a glass of lemon water with extra lemon or just swallowing a straight spoonful of it- it seriously works!!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    lemon juice is so sour it always counteracts my sweet cravings- try having a glass of lemon water with extra lemon or just swallowing a straight spoonful of it- it seriously works!!!

Eating ice cream sounds way better than sucking on a lemon

Whatever you enjoy though...