Halloween candy...............

Options

Replies

• angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    This year we bought candy that neither of us (hubby or I) will eat. Once my boys finish trick or treating I will take the necessary candy tax :wink: (a Kit Kat, Snickers, & ButterFingers) as will my hubby! I figure it will be a nice treat and I will fit it into my calories for the day (most likely eat the Kit Kat first and then save the Snickers and ButterFingers for the follow 2 days):drinker: :love: All in moderation I say! Why deprive yourself when there is free chocolate!!:wink:

Then the boys will take some a little to school, each day, for about a week and it will disappear into the trash or off to my hubby's work! This has been done since my kids started trick or treating over a decade ago. I figure they do not need to eat all of it and I hope they look at it as treats, instead of gorging on the candy.

I say enjoy a few treats and move on. The more you keep yourself away the more you will want it. Have a few (not a bag full):wink: and move on!
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I do not deny myself.. but I DO monitor myself.. if I have treats then I log it...I have candy in my lab every day for students and I will treat myself if it fits into my calories or I can exercise a bit more to account for it.. I find that doing it this way keeps me from feeling "deprived" and then going into a full craving ( which is NOT pretty)...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Easy! :D Give it all to a friend or neighbor. Have your boys pick out like, 8 pieces for them selves. If they get upset, just say, "Mommy needs candy out of the house. Mommy is not allowed to eat any." They should understand. :3

I hate candy, so when I get stocked up on lots of it, I give it all to friends or neighbors. (You can save maybe a couple pieces for yourself) :3

Kids don't understand that...

Just eat some...holy wow...log it make it fit.
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m1i5462qft1rrfiwuo2_500.gif

LMAO...THIS!! :happy:
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I just put it out of sight, that helps a lot. Up and away in a high cupboard above the fridge, way in the back so I can't get to it easily.

Another option is throw it in the freezer until the morning of Halloween. It's a lot harder to binge on snickers bars and skittles when they're frozen :tongue:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Lol! I bought some already. Haven't touched it. I have every intention of having a few though, but no problem fitting them in my calories.
  • nmensen18
    Options
    HungryGirl put out some info on calories for popular Halloween candy. This helps a ton!! It lets me have 1 or 2 pieces if I feel like I HAVE to have some.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/biteout/show/2754
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Protein bar instead of chocolate bar is my answer. Other than that, when you have a craving drink some water .. hold off for 5 minutes and make a conscious decision to eat it if you want it not on impulse.

Good luck!
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Easy! :D Give it all to a friend or neighbor. Have your boys pick out like, 8 pieces for them selves. If they get upset, just say, "Mommy needs candy out of the house. Mommy is not allowed to eat any." They should understand. :3

I hate candy, so when I get stocked up on lots of it, I give it all to friends or neighbors. (You can save maybe a couple pieces for yourself) :3

Kids don't understand that...

Just eat some...holy wow...log it make it fit.

+1

Don't start them on an early path to thinking that candy is a "bad food". In moderation, it's not. It's just yummy and gooey and awesome :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • cmcoyle776
    cmcoyle776 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Many dentists participate in the candy buy back program...on a specific day the week after Halloween, kids can trade in their candy for a little cash or prize from the dentist who then donates it to the troops via Operation Gratitude. Google it to find a participating dentist, or box up the candy & ship it off yourself. My kid will get to keep a few pieces for himself & have a lesson in sharing, I'll take a few Almond Joys out for myself (to eat & log), and some members of our armed forces overseas will enjoy the rest. Win-win-win!
  • erikarobles
    erikarobles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I made it fit into my calories last week, 2 fun size almond joys a couple of days here and there. I am thinking about having them take it to the dentist who pays by the pound:) They LOVE money!!!!!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Don't buy any until Halloween day. :)

I tried to do that one year but it was sold out of all the local stores a few days before. I had to drive out to a less populated state to get some.
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I don't buy candy for my house. Kids get it at parties, etc. It goes in a small candy jar w/ a lid. They can have one piece a day-max. I toss the rest. The jar can have candy for a month, then it gets tossed too. No reason to tempt myself.
  • tinamariecleg
    tinamariecleg Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It's at my house already too. I think I ate 20 whoppers this weekend...ugh. Take it away !
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    How will I avoid it...hmmm...don't open candy, don't put in mouth. TaDa!
  • Mari_928
    Mari_928 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am just thining about it as "It's not worth it" I will eat an apple instead (if I really am hungry) or just do something to keep you busy.
    My daughter has candy from school and parties too but i hide it from her so luckily its not in sight.
    Try hiding the candy. I don't let my 5 yr old get into her candy at all, I pretty much control it so hiding it is great for both of us.
    Plus i am thinking for halloween i will just throw that candy in with the mix I am handing out.
    I honestly feel bad, but last year's candy i threw away a couple months ago.
    The biggest help is just hiding it and putting it away.
    out of sight, out of mind!
  • erikarobles
    erikarobles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It's at my house already too. I think I ate 20 whoppers this weekend...ugh. Take it away !

This sounds JUST like me......ugh:(
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options

What are you doing to avoid the candy???

Im not. I'm eating candy with reason. I don't have it often so I'll eat what I want around Halloween. Three Musketeers with lunch. Whoopers and candy corn next!

I stick to the minis and snack sizes and work it in so I can have it!
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am staying far away from the Halloween candy. I see it. I can smell the chocolate. But I am NOT TOUCHING it. Instead, I have a sugar-free Klondike bar at night as my treat. They are excellent! They are big and the chocolate is great! If I have one piece of Halloween candy, I'll end up eating 20 pieces. Instead, I focus on my nightly Klondike reward. I can have the sweet, and none of the guilt.
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Google "Switch Witch". This is what we do in our house. The kids can pick out some candy to keep and the rest is left for the Switch Witch to take. She trades it for an item that they have desired. We can all enjoy a little of the treats from the holiday but it isn't constantly around to overindulge.