How do you treat your depression?? Lets Share!!!

Options

Replies

• Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    has anyone ever tried a light therapy lamp for depression? I think I might suffer from seasonal affective disorder, and it is getting dark here fast. I haven't tried one yet.

I have chronic depression (mostly under control- <3 u, Paxil & my therapist!), but no SAD diagnosis; but I always have trouble in late fall-early winter. I finally ponied up for one this year and it's definitely had an effect. It gives me more energy to get up and functioning. I'm very grateful I have it- I'm not dreading the time change like I normally do.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    has anyone ever tried a light therapy lamp for depression? I think I might suffer from seasonal affective disorder, and it is getting dark here fast. I haven't tried one yet.

We lived in Alaska for three years. The first winter was AWFUL with little to no daylight. The next two years were tolerable with my sunlamp. Be sure to choose one that is meant to treat SAD - Light boxes for SAD should be designed to filter out most UV light. Look for a light box that emits as little UV light as possible.

My list of coping skills for depression include: music, reading, tv, and eating (need to delete this last one off the list!!!)

lol...at your last comment. re: sunlamps...any suggestions in terms of manufacturer or places to purchase? Thanks for the info, by the way.
  • lil_lizt
    lil_lizt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    With all my meds mostly lol. But playing fetch with my pug or watching him zoom around like a loon usually makes me smile. Failing that, I'll go out for a drive or phone a friend :)
  • rosemary98
    Options

I have chronic depression (mostly under control- <3 u, Paxil & my therapist!), but no SAD diagnosis; but I always have trouble in late fall-early winter. I finally ponied up for one this year and it's definitely had an effect. It gives me more energy to get up and functioning. I'm very grateful I have it- I'm not dreading the time change like I normally do.

OP...sorry for derailing the tread.

Sedna, could you message me with a brand/website of one you recommend?
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options
    I've had depression since I was a teenager and I've found there are a combination of things that can help...

Physically - having a steady workout plan is a stress reliever and gives me a runner's high. It can be anything from walking/jogging to jumping rope or riding a bicycle. Anything active that raises my heart rate.

Mentally - I try to combat any negativity with positive thoughts and try to get to the root of the problem and go from there

Spiritually - When I feel connected to humanity and/or higher power and the universe, there's a sense of well-being & the saying "do unto others as you will have them do to you" comes to mind

And also medication. I used to be against medicating myself then figured why suffer. I now take a low dose of citalopram (celexa) that's helped tremendously.
  • littlekat1
    littlekat1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I take wellbutrin, work out every day, take my vitamins, walk my dog 2x a day, play with the cats (laser pointer), and if I get really stressed out, I will put on a Harry Potter movie. I love them and they make me happy. Silly I know, but it helps me.

I also journal. I have found if I write whatever is bothering me down, I tend to think about it less.
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Exercise, caffeine, talking with others, vitamin D, treating my slerp apnea with cpap, and avoiding negative media. I recently read that something in turmeric was as good as antidepressants. There was a recent human study that was published on it. Haven't tried that but if my mood declines again I will look into it more.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Gym and spending some srious time with paper and pen.
  • Mborroto25
    Mborroto25 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    hiking. a therapist. smoking a fat bowl.

lmao
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    My gay best friend. The only man besides my daddy who loves me for who I truly am. And I know he actually cares when I pour my heart out, because sex is never on the table! Lol, love my gay husband!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Hi, I find that what I put in media wise has a big impact on how I feel. I try to keep the things I watch, read and listen to lighthearted. I also take 5htp and St. John's Wort, and together they help a lot with depression and anxiety.

Paying attention to the media I am consuming is a major tactic I use when dealing with my mental health issues as well.

I take my medication faithfully, write, and concentrate on "small victories." I write my goals for the day. Very simple things, such as shower, or make the bed. Eat two meals or scoop out the litter box. Very simple, small things, as when I'm in the grips of it, even breathing is difficult. And then I do at least one thing on my goal list.

If I only get one of those things done, that's still a victory. It means I am not completely helpless or useless. Remembering to be positive about small victories is kindness to myself,and that helps A LOT.

And if things get really bad, I work on being willing to call my treatment team and make adjustments to my medication and routines.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    1. Go for a nice long run outdoors
    2. Pray or read my Bible
    3. Watch silly comedies Night at the Roxbury, Dodgeball, Anchorman anything silly and funny
    4. Eat chocolate or something sweet.
    5. Have a glass of wine.
    6. Play with my doggies. They always put a smile on my face.
    7. Read a good book.
    8. Shop for pretty shoes
    9. Take a whirlpool bath
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Following for later, struggling with this right now.
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Good drugs. Specifically, Lexapro and Wellbutrin.
    I refused to use drugs for nearly 20 years- wish I hadn't.. Counseling, exercise, good diet, meditation, herbs, vitamins.... all that helped keep my head above water, but barely. Drugs are awesome.
    Unfortunately I think the Lexapro makes it harder to maintain my weight. But that could also be due to the wonderful world of aging.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Exercise specifically Zumba and walking. Taking a mutivitamin, b-complex vitamin, caltrate (for the vitamin D) and a fish oil pill. (per my MD). Way better than taking some other prescription.

If that works for you, good. Many people require prescription medication. No need to stigmatize people who do.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Exercise specifically Zumba and walking. Taking a mutivitamin, b-complex vitamin, caltrate (for the vitamin D) and a fish oil pill. (per my MD). Way better than taking some other prescription.

If that works for you, good. Many people require prescription medication. No need to stigmatize people who do.

QFT
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

QFT

Word.
  • LilBritGettinFit
    LilBritGettinFit Posts: 106 Member
    Options

QFT

Word.

Super sorry, what I meant was FOR ME it works way better than previous prescriptions I was on. Never meant to stigmatize anyone. :frown:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I take Citalopram/Celexa every night....works well for me.
  • mommyof4cpa
    mommyof4cpa Posts: 82 Member
    Options

We lived in Alaska for three years. The first winter was AWFUL with little to no daylight. The next two years were tolerable with my sunlamp. Be sure to choose one that is meant to treat SAD - Light boxes for SAD should be designed to filter out most UV light. Look for a light box that emits as little UV light as possible.

My list of coping skills for depression include: music, reading, tv, and eating (need to delete this last one off the list!!!)

lol...at your last comment. re: sunlamps...any suggestions in terms of manufacturer or places to purchase? Thanks for the info, by the way.

Oh boy, I don't have the lamp anymore....it's been 12 years and 4 military moves since then.

Try http://www.sadlightsreview.com/ for some prodcut review. You can also find many on Amazon.com