Bipolar Meds make you gain weight?

Options

Replies

• sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Hey! I've dealt with rapid-cycling bipolar since I was 13 (26 now). I was on a medication at one point, Zyprexa, that made me binge and gain weight rapidly. It was really difficult. I was taken off the medication because at the time I was also suffering with anorexia and the weight gain was a major trigger. After that, I also discovered I have hypothyroidism (slow thyroid, slow metabolism) and was put on Synthroid which helps keep my levels even. If you're experiencing out-of-the-ordinary symptoms of ANY kind, definitely sit down and talk to your doctor. See if there's a similar medication you can try that may not give you the same side effects. May I ask what medication it is that you're taking?
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You can cure Bipolar with diet.

^^^ Not this - don't stop taking medication without consulting a doctor

I would agree with previous posters about the SSRI drugs making a person lethargic or unmotivated. Workout and diet can help by naturally increasing seratonin but it's not the end all, be all for everyone.
  • sarahkatara
    Options
    I'm sure that this is not the advice that you are looking for but here goes....

You can cure Bipolar with diet. I did. Plus binge eating disorder, severe anxiety, and a long list of very serious phsyical illnesses. Malnutrition, which can occur even when one is eating too much, has many effects on our body. The brain is especially impacted by poor nutrition and inadequate healthy dietary fat.

(Yes, I have been on a bunch of meds and suffered many effects from them. I also just "toughed" it out for years and years and don't know how I survived.)

Oh, the weight loss issue (but I'm not on meds)-please see my ticker below. Lost the weight, and still losing, without craving or struggling with hunger. If you are curious about what I am up to feel free to read my profile and food diary.

You need to stop spreading misinformation, such as it's possible to CURE bipolar with diet. This is irresponsible and dangerous advice.

Agree- this is complete misinformation and puts so many people in danger. Bipolar individuals tend to have problems staying on their medications anyway and to tell them it is "curable" in any way is downright untrue. Bipolar disorder is a chemical imbalance in your brain. You do not make the necessary chemicals to keep your moods even, etc. Bipolar patients NEED medication and ongoing psychiatric care. I've come off my medications before because I was "better" and I could "control it" through "willpower". several weeks later I was suicidal and completely out of control. I wouldn't go back on the meds and suffered for 3 months from the worst bipolar episode I've ever had. Please do not put your experiences out there as normal. Chances are if you "cured your bipolar" through diet and exercise, you aren't actually bipolar.
  • sarahkatara
    Options
    I have to say:

I have had Bipolar disorder my entire life, I was diagnosed at 18

After trying several different combinations of meds, (abilify, depakote, wellbutrin and several others) I realized that I hated the Zombie feeling I got from them. I had small children at the time and I never wanted to play with them or spend time with them; I just wanted to sleep.
    My doctor's advice:
    more meds

No. I put my foot down and I went off my meds after a long talk with my doc. For the last 6 years, I have been unmedicated successfully and monitored closely by my psych doctor.

I spent a year on meds while I was pregnant with my son 3 years ago (the pregnancy did a doozy on me and my doc recommended I resume medication until after birth) and havent had anything since.

Do I recommend this for anyone else? No. It may not work for others, but it definitely works for me.

I learned to recognize cues and I work with my psych doctor and my therapist and I havent needed the meds. I know that if my condition worsens or if I feel too "out of sorts" that I will need to be medicated again until I regain control.

Diet and exercise have definitely helped me throughout this process.

I always recommend that if you have a doctor that is willing to work with you, then be open, honest with them and make sure that the method of treatment (medication or otherwise) will be sufficient.

Really great advice! Everyone is different. You made some great points and I am glad you are not opposed to medical help when you need it!
  • sarahkatara
    Options
    I take Lamictal (Lamotrigine) for my Bi-Polar II condition. I have not gained any weight on this drug, as a matter of fact I lost some weight. But I regained 12 lbs belly fat through my own fault, eating big yummy Jumbo Drumsticks and McDonald's Oreo McFlurrys. My Shrink who controls my meds told me I have an incurable disease due to a chemical imbalance in the brain, he also told me I was born this way, but I can live a good life on a stable medication and vitamin regimen plus exercise to help with my self esteem. I attempted suicide and damn near succeeded, and that can't be fixed by diet. I was miss diagnosed for 15 years with simple depression and I went the entire cycle of anti depressants 5 different times. After 6 months they would stop working so my doctors (internist) would change it up to another one. After the 5th go around, I was referred to a shrink, who saw it for what it was and once on Lamotrigine and tweaking the dosage to where I am now my bi-polar is under control. I do have a motivation problems though, but I make myself go out of the house, exercise, and do things to keep me active. Exercise and activity is good for this. ,Just keep you chin up, things will get better.

Thanks for sharing this story. I can definitely relate and this- "My Shrink who controls my meds told me I have an incurable disease due to a chemical imbalance in the brain, he also told me I was born this way, but I can live a good life on a stable medication and vitamin regimen plus exercise to help with my self esteem"- is so completely true.
  • LaGioconda57
    Options
    I don't think the meds do that. Youre probably eating way too much.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Yes, they make you gain weight. Most of them give you that ravenous hunger that is extremely difficult to satisfy. It can be controlled, but it can be a rocky adjustment period. There is one called Geodon that actually makes you lose weight, but I am not sure if they still prescribe it. This is my issue with psych meds. Every week there is a problem and a lawsuit against a different one. I have 3 psychiatrists in my family, so I get a lot of therapy that I don't need and never asked for. Lol.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Honestly, being properly medicated has helped me lose weight. I would not have been able to develop such a functional routine before I got my meds sorted out. I currently take 1200 mg of lithium carbonate extended release, and my weight gain occurred before everything else fell into place.

Rapid cycling is hell for healthy eating and exercise. And sleep. And just about everything else.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options
    You can cure Bipolar with diet.

^^^ Not this - don't stop taking medication without consulting a doctor

I would agree with previous posters about the SSRI drugs making a person lethargic or unmotivated. Workout and diet can help by naturally increasing seratonin but it's not the end all, be all for everyone.

Agreed. Also coming off of bipolar meds is accompanied by some withdrawals, and sometimes it isn't pretty.
  • MrsYoungIII
    MrsYoungIII Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have been on 1600mg of Lithium (Priadel) for well over a year now. It suits me just fine with no side effects. I never noticed if the weight gain was due to the medication or me bingeing again. I saw my pdoc today as I have started to cycle again. He wants to add a medication. Another mood stabilser or something like Quetiapine (which I took before and made me worse). He is sending me info on both so I can decide for myself. I just needed to hear that although some meds may make you hungrier it can be managed by healthy eating and exercise - which is what I am doing! Thanks a lot! :)

I am on the Lithium. This is my 2nd time on it. My first time the Dr just kept increasing the Lithium and I had horrible side effects and gained over 50 pounds. It's been about 11 or 12yrs since my first attempt taking Lithium. I had 2 children blah blah blah my body completely changed and none of the other meds would work. I have a different Dr now whom doesn't bump my dosages unless my levels and my moods are showing that I need it. Since starting it in Jan. I gained 15 pounds but I'm 100% sure that was my emotional eating. I've lost it since I've been on MFP. I try to drink between 8-12 glasses of water a day. Being that Lithium is a sodium it can cause major water retention which I get often if I go over the sodium or don't drink enough. Wanna talk more feel free to message me. :)
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have to say:

After trying several different combinations of meds, (abilify, depakote, wellbutrin and several others) I realized that I hated the Zombie feeling I got from them. I had small children at the time and I never wanted to play with them or spend time with them; I just wanted to sleep.
    My doctor's advice:
    more meds

No. I put my foot down and I went off my meds after a long talk with my doc. For the last 6 years, I have been unmedicated successfully and monitored closely by my psych doctor.

I spent a year on meds while I was pregnant with my son 3 years ago (the pregnancy did a doozy on me and my doc recommended I resume medication until after birth) and havent had anything since.

Do I recommend this for anyone else? No. It may not work for others, but it definitely works for me.

I learned to recognize cues and I work with my psych doctor and my therapist and I havent needed the meds. I know that if my condition worsens or if I feel too "out of sorts" that I will need to be medicated again until I regain control.

I always recommend that if you have a doctor that is willing to work with you, then be open, honest with them and make sure that the method of treatment (medication or otherwise) will be sufficient.

Really great advice! Everyone is different. You made some great points and I am glad you are not opposed to medical help when you need it!

Meds have saved my life on more than one occasion. The key for me was to recognize that this is a lifelong condition and that taking meds do not make me weak or less of a person; armed with that information, I have been able to stay unmedicated successfully
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    If it's a side-effect (which it sounds like) you should talk to your doctor about it.
  • starfire12345
    starfire12345 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I went through almost the same experience before I was diagnosed with being Bi-polar. Numerous rounds and cocktails of antidepressants. I'm also on Lamictal now and I love it! it works so well for me. Although I have gained about 10 lbs since this whole debacle of meds, hopefully I will loose it soon.
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    I have to say:

My doctor's advice:
    more meds

You did it the right way, you talked to your doctor and you did it monitored by medical professionals. And you're not saying that you are cured.
  • sarahkatara
    Options
    I've been on most of the bipolar meds; if I list them I'll be typing until morning. Depakote and Seroquel are the worst for weight gain. I was always skinny, went through rounds of different bipolar meds and didn't have trouble with weight until I started taking Depakote and Seroquel 10 years ago. Then I stopped taking them because both the doctor and I wanted to see if I really had bipolar disorder-I lost the weight (through healthy eating and exercise). Unfortunately, I became severely ill again (confirming the diagnosis), and I did not want to go back on the meds that made me fat, but nothing else worked for me. I'm back on them, and I blew up again--this time I put on nearly 50 pounds in 4 months, it was utterly ridiculous how fast the weight poured onto me and I was devastated. Anyone who says that it's your fault you are gaining weight while you are on these meds can suck it-they don't have a clue. If anyone can keep their weight down through sheer willpower of healthy eating and exercise, it's me-.and I haven't been able to drop one pound, despite 8 months of hard work exercising. I literally could not stop eating, the meds made it impossible. My family doctor, in coordination with my shrink, has put me on a daily half-dose of Phentermine, as I now have pre-diabetes and thyroid issues due to these miserable meds. I cannot stop taking Depakote and Seroquel-stopping bipolar meds is a no-no, and you can't manage bipolar through diet and exercise, I tried that route and made myself so sick I nearly ended up in the hospital. I resisted taking Phen for many months, I DO NOT LIKE the idea of a pill, but the doctor was adamant that I need a diet aid, I have too many evils against me to lose weight on my own. So far, the Phen is not killing my appetite, but it's making it normal, so I don't want to eat an elephant every 5 minutes! I get hungry when I should get hungry, and I'm able to eat healthy foods and stop after one serving. I am losing weight, but I worry about when I have to go off the Phen, I'm afraid the Depakote and Seroquel will sabotage me and I'll just gain it all back again. It's really a vicious circle.

I'm so sorry to read about your experience with Seroquel and Depakote. Those are the two medications that work for me consistently. If I miss even two days of one of these medications, I immediately notice a difference in my mood/ability to cope. I agree that you cannot fully control bipolar with diet & exercise but it's important to remember It does help keep your moods even! My (amazing) pysch doc has always told me, "Sarah, you need to lead a boring life." What he means by this is not that I need to deprive or limit myself in life, but that I need to concentrate on the following: getting plenty of sleep; not abusing alcohol/drugs, exercise for the endorphins and for keeping my body healthy so my mind can be healthy too; eat good foods because low-quality food makes me feel slow, fatigued, and heavy, even if i'm not overweight; keep the main things in life predictable and reliable (by following a schedule, etc) so that my brain doesn't get overloaded and when things do happen out of the ordinary, I have the strength to deal with it; ASK FOR HELP; etc etc. I love my life. It have fun, I stay active and healthy, but I respect my limits. I know that I can definitely go out and party hard once in awhile- but I can't do that multiple times per week and I have to make sure I have time to recuperate afterwards. It's about forethought and planning.
    It sucks to hear about the thyroid/diabetes problems the meds have caused. I never considered that my hypothyroidism could b related to medications, but it's certainly a possibility. Are you taking anything for your thyroid, like Synthroid?
  • sarahkatara
    Options
    Would anyone be interested in a new bipolar group to receive/give support? The response to this topic surprises me and makes me so glad to see others who know what i'm going through! I created a group awhile ago but it never got off the ground. I would really love if everyone joined and maybe we can have a little support group :)http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10405-bipolar-disorder-support
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options
    I'm sure that this is not the advice that you are looking for but here goes....

You can cure Bipolar with diet. I did. Plus binge eating disorder, severe anxiety, and a long list of very serious phsyical illnesses. Malnutrition, which can occur even when one is eating too much, has many effects on our body. The brain is especially impacted by poor nutrition and inadequate healthy dietary fat.

(Yes, I have been on a bunch of meds and suffered many effects from them. I also just "toughed" it out for years and years and don't know how I survived.)

Oh, the weight loss issue (but I'm not on meds)-please see my ticker below. Lost the weight, and still losing, without craving or struggling with hunger. If you are curious about what I am up to feel free to read my profile and food diary.

Bipolar can never be cured if it is a true diagnosis. It is for life, and it can only be managed.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Several of my medications for my bi-polar did cause weight gain. The truth of the matter is that I have to see it as part of the trade-off, elsewise I won't want to stay on my meds.

I'd rather lose weight more slowly than go insane very quickly.

At least that's how I have to think of it. I did read that a medication that puts on a 10% weight increase can be considered an adverse reaction to meds, so thats always something to keep in mind when discussing with your doctor.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'd rather lose weight more slowly than go insane very quickly.

I have been known to say something similar.
  • DivaLuvsDisney
    DivaLuvsDisney Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as Bipolar II in 2005. I used to be on all kinds of medicinal cocktails to keep me stable and have been hospitalized three times. Right now I only take 200mg of Seroquel at night. I want to throttle people that give out misinformation like "it can be cured with diet". THERE IS NO CURE!!! However, over the past year I've learned to better manage my symptoms through diet and exercise. I've discovered just by logging foods in MFP and keeping track of my moods that certain things in my diet were triggers for me. I do much better if I avoid processed foods since the chemicals in them seem to have an effect on me. I don't think I ever would have made the connection had I not wanted to lose a few vanity pounds. Going to the gym is one of my favorite times of the day now. I usually suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder, but last winter I made it through just fine and I really think it's because I was eating better and exercising. I'm thankful to have found MFP!