Weight Train at 1200 Calories

Options
13»

Replies

• rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Holocaust/auconditions.html

Auschwitz victims were given an average of 1300-1700 calories a day, depending on their workload, and most died of organ failure and exhaustion due to malnutrition.

i'm sorry, i only half read this, but this might be the dumbbest thing i've ever seen. Surely they were getting a healthy diet and standard living conditions.

*shrug* Do with the truth what you will. I did the 1200 calorie thing and messed up my metabolism, was lethargic and my hair shed way more than normal. But whatevs. I'm sure the Jews were exaggerating.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Brilliant response.

sigh, you're both so dense that i felt i should respond.

comparing # of calories to that of a person living in a sanitary clean healthy environment vs those of prisons is stupid. It's not even an argument, which is why i Sarcasticly said "im sure they had a healthy diet and standard living conditions". Those living conditions are the reason for their organ failure and exhaustion. Your argument is beyond dumb. dumb dumb dumb

so don't tell her "brilliant response" it was just stupidity. I wasn't questioning their description of the environment, i was questioning how you could give that any merit to a dieting question.

There is a healthy way to eat low calorie and an unhealthy way, which i'm sure is why your hair fell out and i am super active and have countless amounts of energy.

^^This^^ well said!

A bit concerned you chose to eat so little - hope you know what you're doing. I'm 5'2 female 134 lbs and losing on 1500 cals a day. You can eat more sweetie!
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I don't know what i can say about your daily caloric intake, however, you will gain weight (not fat) because your muscles are getting "larger". 1lb of fat takes a lot up more space than 1lb of muscle. Plus, I'm sure there is some study somwhere that says when you workout your muscles release something causing your body to want to consume more. Just have lots of protein to continue toning and repairing the muscle. My trainer is making me have a lot carbs too to regain the energy but i'm afraid it will make me fatter than i already am. So I wouldn't recommend that
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    i weight train 7x a week and do cardio every day and i eat only like 1400 calories.

so you're certainly fine at 1200.

Sorry, OP, I really don't have any advice for you.

I'm just here to try to understand why a physically active 29 year old man would intentionally eat 1200-1400 calories.

masochist?
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I don't know what i can say about your daily caloric intake, however, you will gain weight (not fat) because your muscles are getting "larger". 1lb of fat takes a lot up more space than 1lb of muscle. Plus, I'm sure there is some study somwhere that says when you workout your muscles release something causing your body to want to consume more. Just have lots of protein to continue toning and repairing the muscle. My trainer is making me have a lot carbs too to regain the energy but i'm afraid it will make me fatter than i already am. So I wouldn't recommend that

You need to do some research. She won't gain any weight on 1200 a day.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options

Not of fat or muscle (responding to this post) but she should be prepared that the scale may go up a couple of pounds due to increased water/glycogen retention. Note, this may also make muscles feel more firm. It is water for muscle repair. It is NOT getting "bulky" after a week of weights (oh how I wish it was permanent!)

Yes, that's temporary though.

ETA. Just noticed you said the same in your post. :flowerforyou:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    lokifp.gif

Can't say if trolling or not.
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options

As I said "I don't know what i can say about your daily caloric intake". But, in general, your lean muscle mass will increase if you're weight training.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Holocaust/auconditions.html

Auschwitz victims were given an average of 1300-1700 calories a day, depending on their workload, and most died of organ failure and exhaustion due to malnutrition.

i'm sorry, i only half read this, but this might be the dumbbest thing i've ever seen. Surely they were getting a healthy diet and standard living conditions.

*shrug* Do with the truth what you will. I did the 1200 calorie thing and messed up my metabolism, was lethargic and my hair shed way more than normal. But whatevs. I'm sure the Jews were exaggerating.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Brilliant response.

sigh, you're both so dense that i felt i should respond.

comparing # of calories to that of a person living in a sanitary clean healthy environment vs those of prisons is stupid. It's not even an argument, which is why i Sarcasticly said "im sure they had a healthy diet and standard living conditions". Those living conditions are the reason for their organ failure and exhaustion. Your argument is beyond dumb. dumb dumb dumb

so don't tell her "brilliant response" it was just stupidity. I wasn't questioning their description of the environment, i was questioning how you could give that any merit to a dieting question.

There is a healthy way to eat low calorie and an unhealthy way, which i'm sure is why your hair fell out and i am super active and have countless amounts

I was eating nutrient dense foods and didn't have room for a lot of extras, drank tea with stevia, coffee with a bit of milk, and water. I would have a treat after exercising if I had the energy to exercise in the first place. So, I was eating 1200 "right" with s very similar meal plan as yours.
    I'm sure living conditions played a role in CC victims deaths, but you cannot deny that they were slowly starved. Cold and lice dont turn people into skin and bones.
    And seriously, how are you employed if you resort to insults when people disagree with you? Bet you're a peach IRL.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

That's exactly it. And, I doubt she will gain any muscle either. It takes a long, LONG time to gain muscle, and a lot of properly fueling your body.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

As I said "I don't know what i can say about your daily caloric intake". But, in general, your lean muscle mass will increase if you're weight training.

The point is that lean muscle mass and 1,200 calories a day are not compatible. That's why that poster suggested further research. :smile:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

Nope, that's not true either. If you're not eating at a calorie surplus, you will not increase muscle mass. You can help retain muscle mass (or LBM) while eating at a deficit by doing weight training and making sure you're getting enough protein. There is such a thing as newbie gains but they're very little and go away quickly. You can gain some strength but that's not the same thing as gaining mass.

Also, carbs don't make you fat, eating more than your body requires does that.
  • LorettaLabarbera
    LorettaLabarbera Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    even though the website recommended I eat 1,200 calories I knew it was too little for me ... I trained with a woman for 3 years and I learned a lot from her . I personally bossed up my calorie intake to 1,700 per day which at times I admit its hard to reach. but I get as close as I can .. I have started here about 2 weeks ago and I lost 9 lbs already. When you work out , mostly with weight training you need more calories . When I end my daily meals for the day, it says if you keep eating this way you will be at such n such weight in 5 weeks ... I find that not true . why do I say that.. because when I started two weeks ago it told me I would not be at the weight I am now . You may want to up your calorie intake, while weight training and I will promise you the pounds will come off a lot quicker. Just some personal advice from personal experience .
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP~ just eat more, good gracious, your body NEEDS fuel!!! :grumble:
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    No, it isn't. You should be eating more to fuel your body. You need to read The New Rules of Lifting for Women. It will help you with training and your nutrition.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Thank you. And don't eat back calories or should I? Right now I weigh about 98 lbs. Don't wanna get bigger in weight.

Then you have to eat above maintenance intake. Probably in the 1700-2000 cal range
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    :noway:

Guys, some people have issues with food. Let's leave 'em to it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The issue you face OP, is you don't have a lot of lean body mass, which is probably why you have a high effective body fat %. Gaining muscle is where you will benefit the most. Not only in overall appearance but gaining muscle will effectively lower your overall body fat percentage. See the below to see what I mean. Concentrate on her progress from 120 lbs to 130lbs. This requires a surplus though.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    Is it ok to eat just 1200 calories per day, and strength train for muscle tone 5x week.
    I just want tone, not looking to get big! I have been losing massive weight 2 1/2 lbs per week.
    Sometimes I eat under 1200 calories. I have a hard time eating. Like I said I just want tone.
    I eat healthy, and know how to eat. I eat 90% clean and organic, I mostly cook at home.
    I have stopped exercising for a month now, but I am dropping lbs by eating right, and less.
    some insight would be good. Last time I did weights I swelled up ad gained weight, and was hungry
    all the time. My friend tell me that I still look toned without flexing.

That isn't enough information to know. To know would require knowing your current height/weight/frame size and your calorie burn during workouts.
  • AlyssamR6712
    AlyssamR6712 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Is it ok to eat just 1200 calories per day, and strength train for muscle tone 5x week.
    I just want tone, not looking to get big! I have been losing massive weight 2 1/2 lbs per week.
    Sometimes I eat under 1200 calories. I have a hard time eating. Like I said I just want tone.
    I eat healthy, and know how to eat. I eat 90% clean and organic, I mostly cook at home.
    I have stopped exercising for a month now, but I am dropping lbs by eating right, and less.
    some insight would be good. Last time I did weights I swelled up ad gained weight, and was hungry
    all the time. My friend tell me that I still look toned without flexing.

NO NO NO NO NO! lol sorry i see these posts constantly. you may be losing weight and seeing results SHORT TERM. but LONG TERM you will either gain all the weight back or destroy your body. Please message me if you have ANY questions or need advice. Please please please read the article below

http://www.livestrong.com/article/518807-negative-side-effects-of-eating-less-than-1-200-calories-a-day/

15188748.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter