1200 Calories or Less! Please Read!

Options

Replies

• gr34t
    gr34t Posts: 15
    Options
    Sorry, but that's just silly. Similarly silly as the article the OP mentioned.

1200kcal is an artificial number largely based on strictly controlled lab tests that has nothing to do with real life. And anyone who doesn't see that it matters whether you're female and 5'2" at a weight of 100lbs or 6' at a weight of 220lbs or even male, to figure out your "starvation mode trigger", needs to stop distributing false and/or far too unspecific information.

Don't believe the 1200kcal starvation mode myth. Eat as little as you feel physically comfortable with (not talking about how hungry you are). If you are not for more than two or three days, eat more. It is that easy.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    I eat 900 calories a day, I physically cannot eat anymore.
    You can't eat 2/3 cup of peanut butter in the space of 24 hours?

Why would I?

You said couldn't not wouldn't.

See the difference?
  • LadyBugLex17
    LadyBugLex17 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    thank you!
    unfortunately these people won't all listen to you
    its so frustrating!
    i just end up deleting them if they are on my friends list, i can't motivate and support someone who doesnt eat.
    my favorite are the people who say they physically can't eat more, makes me LOL

I do a high fat diet, I have up to ten carbs a day. I am satiated and I cannot eat anymore. If you tried the same diet you would get it. Stop making assumptions about someone just because you think you know everything. There are hundreds of lifestyles and it is entirely up to those people on what they eat.

10g carbs per day? :indifferent:
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I wasn't told Nutrition Police were a part of MFP...:-)

1. The Live Strong article says eating LESS than 1200 is bad, not 1200 "OR" less.
    2. Calorie levels are based on a lot of things...current weight, desired loss per week, height, etc. So there's nothing wrong w/a person w/a small frame, & maybe not so much to lose to be at 1200. I've always been at 1200 from the time I was 154 to my current weight of 124.5, It hasn't "destroyed" my body, in fact, I'm in the best shape of my life, strength, endurance, & blood work.
    3. Intermittent Fasting (alternating 500 cal days w/a "normal" minimum on other days) research has shown that this type of dieting is actually beneficial health-wise for men, as well as obese women. Although once a woman is not obese, or isn't obese to start with, it has negative effects.
    4. While you may have good intentions, trying to say that everybody is the same, or it's a one-size-fits-all world, doesn't come across well & usually makes people wonder if the person is selling something....or just bossy. :-)

I'm really glad you found something that worked for you...it doesn't mean the only way to success for EVERYONE else is the way YOU personally did it.
  • Saraisamom
    Saraisamom Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I eat 900 calories a day, I physically cannot eat anymore. Chill out

You should probably see a doctor if you can't physically eat more than 900 calories.
  • Liss_Bee
    Liss_Bee Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    ~rolls eyes~ Why would MFP give calorie counts of 1200 if it didn't work? And to force yourself to eat a spoon or whatever of peanut butter just to get in those extra calories is just crazy... I listened to all the jabber of people on this site saying others are not eating enough or not eating the right food or blah blah! Just do what YOU want, only YOU know how your body reacts to the calories and types of food you are taking in. Everyone is so preachy here. =S
  • LadyBugLex17
    Options
    From the link I posted
    This isn't an argument for people to start following VLCD as most will fail miserably. Once you factor in the psychology aspects of them, they're just not right for most long term fat loss plans. In addition, the lower your energy intake is, the more careful you have to be about nutritional adequacy. Meaning it becomes very easy to shortchange yourself of particular facets of nutrition, which can ultimately tap into "health."

Exactly. For long term, it's not a good idea.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    thank you!
    its so frustrating!
    i just end up deleting them if they are on my friends list, i can't motivate and support someone who doesnt eat.

I do a high fat diet, I have up to ten carbs a day. I am satiated and I cannot eat anymore. If you tried the same diet you would get it. Stop making assumptions about someone just because you think you know everything. There are hundreds of lifestyles and it is entirely up to those people on what they eat.

I've had 10g of carbs just reading this thread.
    popcorn2.gif
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    ~rolls eyes~ Why would MFP give calorie counts of 1200 if it didn't work? And to force yourself to eat a spoon or whatever of peanut butter just to get in those extra calories is just crazy... I listened to all the jabber of people on this site saying others are not eating enough or not eating the right food or blah blah! Just do what YOU want, only YOU know how your body reacts to the calories and types of food you are taking in. Everyone is so preachy here. =S

The argument is people eating less than 1200. Also MFP tells you 1200 but expects you to eat back your calories as well. If someone eats 1200 and doesnt exercise then fine.
  • LadyBugLex17
    Options
    thank you!
    its so frustrating!

I've had 10g of carbs just reading this thread.
    popcorn2.gif

LOL! :bigsmile:
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I eat 900 calories a day, I physically cannot eat anymore. Chill out
    to each their own. some people can't lose at 1500/1600. it depends on the individual. blanket statements are subjective (obviously). 1200 calories may or may not be bad for a particular individual...but it depends on their circumstances.
  • aklove907
    aklove907 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i ate 1200 calories a day, with 1 high calorie day every OTHER saturday, and i lost 95 pounds in that 11 months. now i am on maintenance, eating an average of 2000 calories per day for the last couple months, and still have continued to slowly lose. under 1200? maybe not such a good idea, but eating the minimum recomended amount for a woman of 1200 per day is not a bad thing for those who can do it. if you dont like the idea of 1200 a day, great for you, dont do it... but a post slamming those who have reached great success on that amount, and are now doing fine on maintenance... seems to me like you are just looking to argue!

^^ Great job on your loss! And I feel the same way. As a person doing a 1200 cal a day diet, I am feeling amazing. And I go over a tad here and there, and know I don't have to feel bad about it.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    this kind of post has been done nearly as much as the 1200 calorie post best just learn to let others make their own mistakes.
  • Liss_Bee
    Liss_Bee Posts: 187 Member
    Options

The argument is people eating less than 1200. Also MFP tells you 1200 but expects you to eat back your calories as well. If someone eats 1200 and doesnt exercise then fine.

Sorry I will not eat back my exercise calories, I tried that for a month after hitting a huge brick wall. I eat between 1200 and 1500 and exercise everyday. I'm more full then I ever was on WW or anything else I've tried. Feel fully satisfied every day of the last 4 months I've been here. I could eat more, but WHY if I'm satisfied and my body feels great? Honestly you all say educate yourself, where on the internet where there is a lot of bull thrown into the mix? Or a physician who is going to put someone on a crazy diet of under 700 calories and no carbs if they are considered obese? Stop pointing fingers and JUST DO YOU! =]
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    This is all just TOO FUNNY!!!!!! Let's beat this horse to death, then revive it, then beat the hell out of it again, just for fun!!!!

MYOB!!!! Unless you have MD after your name, don't worry about what anyone else is doing. See your doc, who should be monitoring whether something is working for you or not. Not some stranger on a message board. But the entertainment is priceless!
  • Yodifer
    Yodifer Posts: 87
    Options
    I have been seeing alot of message board posts asking if it is okay to eat 1200 calories or less. THIS IS NOT OKAY. let me repeat. IT IS NOT OKAY TO EAT 1200 CALORIES OR LESS.

People will say they see results. Yes this is true. SHORT TERM you will see lots of weight loss. LONG TERM when you decide to start eating normal you will gain all your weight back or if you CONTINUE to eat 1200cals or less a day forever you will eat up all your muscle and destroy your body.

I am 4'11" starting weight 160. I've lost 31 lbs eating a 1400-1700 diet. 14/1500 on days i don't workout and around 1700 on days that i do. FOOD IS FUEL. people hear me say this all the time on MFP, EAT MORE TO LOSE MORE. Yes it will take alot more time than you want, but it will last. This is a lifestyle change. NOT A DIET. if you EAT CLEAN and EXCERSIZE REGULARELY you will see the results you are looking for in time, and they will be there to stay.

I am not a nutritionist (yet) but i have a lot of knowledge on the subjuct and am very passionate about it. When i get out of the service i will be going to school for nutrition. Please let me know if you have ANY questions. or just want some advice. like i said i am not a professional but i am here to help.

Please read the article below if you still have your doubts. Thank you.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/518807-negative-side-effects-of-eating-less-than-1-200-calories-a-day/

15188748.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Who put you in charge?

If people choose to eat 1200 cals or less it's their business not yours. Why would MFP set 1200 cals daily levels if it wasn't safe/ right/okay.

Go get a life!!

MFP sets 1200 and expects you to eat your exercise calories, so 1200 + 200 exercise calories = 1400 calories......get it?
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    1200 cal IF your super tiny. But im 5`41/2 tall and eat at 2300 cal
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people. I tried upping my calories to 1400 but ended up gaining. Also I have read numerous studies and starvation mode is a myth. You would have to be extremely thin for you body to start holding on to fat as you body uses stored fat as energy when you are not fueling it enough. The following site puts into a very great perspective that totally makes sense in lay mans terms. http://www.nowloss.com/starvation-mode-myth.htm

I will continue to eat on average 1100-1200 calories because that is what works for me. I am only 5'1" and don't need as much as some as you taller folks.
  • gr34t
    gr34t Posts: 15
    Options
    Why do people rant and rave about how much someone else eats?

LOL

Because some people are simply advocating rules which have been proven wrong many times. It's harmful for anyone stumbling in these forums and reading such posts.

If you advocate something, be at least sure that it's "right" (whatever this means - in this case, that it's an accepted standard in mainstream science). The statement made by the OP is not. Similarly to the still ubiquitous myth on these forums that you're supposed to eat many small meals and that eating just one big meal per day would be "bad".

All MFP does is to say that you should be aware of what a "starvation mode" is once you eat less or around 1200kcal. That's valuable and sensible advice. This does not mean that you will enter such mode once you eat less than 1200kcal regardless of your weight, height, fitness level, lifestyle and, last but certainly not least, genes.