1200 Calories or Less! Please Read!

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    OP you are really young. You will no doubt learn someday that not everyone is the same. Not even everyone of the same height is the same.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    This is all just TOO FUNNY!!!!!! Let's beat this horse to death, then revive it, then beat the hell out of it again, just for fun!!!!

MYOB!!!! Unless you have MD after your name, don't worry about what anyone else is doing. See your doc, who should be monitoring whether something is working for you or not. Not some stranger on a message board. But the entertainment is priceless!

Actually, when it comes to nutrition and exercise advice, I'd prefer the person doesn't have MD in their name.

My thoughts exactly! DOCTORS ARE NOT NUTRITIONISTS!

FOR EXAMPLE: My nephew has leukemia and his DOCTORS tried to tell my sister that she should be giving him soda and candy and pizza and not to feed him fruits and vegetables..... PLEASE someone tell me how that makes ANY sense.

I call BS. No doctor said this.

Call my sister and ask her yourself.

15188748.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

This is the perfect example of what's considered verifiable information on this site.

seems legit. You giving us all the number, OP?
  • LadyBugLex17
    LadyBugLex17 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    ~rolls eyes~ Why would MFP give calorie counts of 1200 if it didn't work? And to force yourself to eat a spoon or whatever of peanut butter just to get in those extra calories is just crazy... I listened to all the jabber of people on this site saying others are not eating enough or not eating the right food or blah blah! Just do what YOU want, only YOU know how your body reacts to the calories and types of food you are taking in. Everyone is so preachy here. =S

Yes but if you eat LESS which you probably are because no one eats EXACTLY 1200 when you hit complete it tells you flat out on the APP that you are putting your body into STARVATION mode no? thanks. I am just concerned with peoples health which is why i am becoming a nutritionist.

15188748.png

There is no such thing as starvation mode, unless you're ACTUALLY not eating for 2 months. Your body goes through 3 different stages when it has a restrition, the first is to burn all the glucose/sugar/carbs, the second is to use fat as its energy source ( ketones / ketogenic diet, which I am on ) THEN when it has dwindled away all the fat it has, it'll look to muscles, and eat away at your heart.

Eating less does not equal a starvation mode. I'll find some studies if you want them :)

The stages may be correct, but how will personal experience will that do for a study?

February 2012 I had a bod pod done to measure my body fat % and body fat to muscle mass ratio. I went on deployment and stuck to a 1400 calorie diet. I came back 6 months later and did another bod pod.
    I had lost weight (yay)
    WRONG... I lost weight and most of it was muscle mass. I was I was even doing variations of workouts throughout the week; lifting weights, running,crossfit metcons, and swimming. Plain and simple, I wasn't eating enough and it took the dietician and these numbers for me to FIIIIINALLLY get it! & let me tell you... being told to eat more was not fun for me!
    I understand this is my experience and it may not be the case for everyone, but it is not rocket science. Fuel your body. Do not starve it.
    I currently eat between 1600-2000 calories depending on the day, training etc. & I am seeing results. ((The scale can be the devil sometimes when it doesn't move quickly, but progress photos have kept me motivated))

Probably because of your carb intake. Having a high fat, medium protein ( to protect the muscles ) and low carb will enable weight loss, and no muscle loss. A magic number has no power over weight loss, but macros and nutrients does.

I was doing Paleo the whole time I was deployed so that's not it. There is no magic number, I agree. I just had to eat more is the point I was missing. I'm messing with my macros now to see what's better for my body.
    I'm just sharing my experience. Have you heard of Bulletproof Executive yet? Sounds kinda right up your alley with high fat, protein goal. :flowerforyou:
  • Lucia_Armstrong1973
    Options
    A certified nutritionist suggested I eat 1200 calories, MFP says the same thing...considering my age (45) and my height (5ft)...no exercise.....are you saying I should be getting a second opinion? ....maybe yours?

but your ticker says you haven't lost any weight ?

But it also says she just joined.
  • natashabamford7
    natashabamford7 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    if its so bad then why has my fitness pal set this as a goal for me ?

because mfp is designed for you to eat back burned calories, so you're netting at least 1200.

so if I don't exercise then eating 1200 cals is fine?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    This is all just TOO FUNNY!!!!!! Let's beat this horse to death, then revive it, then beat the hell out of it again, just for fun!!!!

MYOB!!!! Unless you have MD after your name, don't worry about what anyone else is doing. See your doc, who should be monitoring whether something is working for you or not. Not some stranger on a message board. But the entertainment is priceless!

Actually, when it comes to nutrition and exercise advice, I'd prefer the person doesn't have MD in their name.

FOR EXAMPLE: My nephew has leukemia and his DOCTORS tried to tell my sister that she should be giving him soda and candy and pizza and not to feed him fruits and vegetables..... PLEASE someone tell me how that makes ANY sense.

Is your nephew terminal? If so, then I would agree with the doctor. Let him eat whatever the heck he enjoys.

Is your nephew having trouble eating, or keeping his weight up, due to chemo or other? If so, then again, eating something is most important. He needs food.

Vegetables are not always the answer. If your sister has concerns she should seek a second opinion from another qualified MD.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    if its so bad then why has my fitness pal set this as a goal for me ?

because mfp is designed for you to eat back burned calories, so you're netting at least 1200.

so if I don't exercise then eating 1200 cals is fine?

Honestly, mfp is a calculator that has very little to go on. If you give it an aggressive 2 lbs per week goal, it will probably give you something lower than your actual BMR, unless you're really short. I do TDEE minus 20%, so I don't even have to think about exercise calories. I'm eating 1550 every day, exercising for 3 and losing about 1.5 lbs a week.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    In for the special snowflakes who can't eat more than 1200 calories, :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    Options
    In for the specially snowflakes who can't more than 1200 calories, :laugh:

what is a specially snowflake??
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Is your nephew terminal? If so, then I would agree with the doctor. Let him eat whatever the heck he enjoys.

Is your nephew having trouble eating, or keeping his weight up, due to chemo or other? If so, then again, eating something is most important. He needs food.

Vegetables are not always the answer. If your sister has concerns she should seek a second opinion from another qualified MD.

That's what I was wondering-when a relative of mine went through cancer/radiation treatment she lost a lot of weight in a short period of time. Her doctor's were telling her to eat anything she could keep down, to try and get her weight loss to slow down.
  • Bjane01
    Bjane01 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This is interesting to me. I can't seem to lose weight unless I go between 1100-1200 a day. If I go over, I stay the same or I gain weight. I do exercise as well 3-5 times a week.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    In for the specially snowflakes who can't more than 1200 calories, :laugh:

what is a specially snowflake??

I think the poster meant "specialty" snowflake...you know, the ones made to order.

Wait, that can't be right? :huh:
  • gwennaelle
    gwennaelle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    OP, your attitude absolutely STINKS. S.T.I.N.K.S.

You come on here ranting and raving, and complaining why people won't listen to you?

There are so many reasons people won't listen to you; I haven't enough fingers and toes to count them on.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Regarding the leukemia, I remember a friend whose 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with childhood leukemia and she was specifically told not to eat fresh fruit -- I don't know if it was all fresh fruit, but there definitely was a restriction on fruit.
  • guroprincess
    Options
    I'm female, quite short (5'2"), and have a lot to lose (I'm 194lb right now.) I net between 1200-1400 cal/day. I never find myself hungry, and I make sure that I hit my nutritional goals for the day. Sometimes I eat under that range, sometimes I eat over it. I'm taking responsibility for my own health. I don't see how you expected coming onto MFP ranting about how everyone is ~doin it rong~ (my way or the highway type thinking) was going to gain you any favorable replies.

Then again we have this type of thread at least 10 times a month so. Not sure why I'm surprised.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have been seeing alot of message board posts asking if it is okay to eat 1200 calories or less. THIS IS NOT OKAY. let me repeat. IT IS NOT OKAY TO EAT 1200 CALORIES OR LESS.

People will say they see results. Yes this is true. SHORT TERM you will see lots of weight loss. LONG TERM when you decide to start eating normal you will gain all your weight back or if you CONTINUE to eat 1200cals or less a day forever you will eat up all your muscle and destroy your body.

I am 4'11" starting weight 160. I've lost 31 lbs eating a 1400-1700 diet. 14/1500 on days i don't workout and around 1700 on days that i do. FOOD IS FUEL. people hear me say this all the time on MFP, EAT MORE TO LOSE MORE. Yes it will take alot more time than you want, but it will last. This is a lifestyle change. NOT A DIET. if you EAT CLEAN and EXCERSIZE REGULARELY you will see the results you are looking for in time, and they will be there to stay.

I am not a nutritionist (yet) but i have a lot of knowledge on the subjuct and am very passionate about it. When i get out of the service i will be going to school for nutrition. Please let me know if you have ANY questions. or just want some advice. like i said i am not a professional but i am here to help.

Please read the article below if you still have your doubts. Thank you.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/518807-negative-side-effects-of-eating-less-than-1-200-calories-a-day/

15188748.png

Who put you in charge?

If people choose to eat 1200 cals or less it's their business not yours. Why would MFP set 1200 cals daily levels if it wasn't safe/ right/okay.

Go get a life!!

:drinker:
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm female, quite short (5'2"), and have a lot to lose (I'm 194lb right now.) I net between 1200-1400 cal/day. I never find myself hungry, and I make sure that I hit my nutritional goals for the day. Sometimes I eat under that range, sometimes I eat over it. I'm taking responsibility for my own health. I don't see how you expected coming onto MFP ranting about how everyone is ~doin it rong~ (my way or the highway type thinking) was going to gain you any favorable replies.

Then again we have this type of thread at least 10 times a month so. Not sure why I'm surprised.

If you net 1200-1400 then she's not talking about you in the first place. she's talking about people who eat less than 1200 and don't eat back their exercise calories.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    thank you!
    unfortunately these people won't all listen to you
    its so frustrating!
    i just end up deleting them if they are on my friends list, i can't motivate and support someone who doesnt eat.
    my favorite are the people who say they physically can't eat more, makes me LOL

I do a high fat diet, I have up to ten carbs a day. I am satiated and I cannot eat anymore. If you tried the same diet you would get it. Stop making assumptions about someone just because you think you know everything. There are hundreds of lifestyles and it is entirely up to those people on what they eat.

10g carbs per day? :indifferent:

Yeah, I don't know whether to laugh or cry (I'm leaning towards "cry"). I'm ketogenic and I eat a fat based diet too. And I don't act like vegetables are the be all and end all of everything, but doesn't one want to eat a few veggies with the meat and fat? There is just NO need to starve oneself on a high fat diet. But of course skinny is more important than healthy for many of us. :noway:
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    My BMR is around 1450. Therefore if I want to lose weight, I must go on a 1200 cal diet. It's simple math.

That is not correct.

Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the rate at which your body burns calories when fully at rest. It is the lowest amount your body needs to function. Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is the level your body needs to maintain your current weight. To lose weight you eat below your TDEE (between 10-20%), to gain weight you eat above.
  • Liss_Bee
    Liss_Bee Posts: 187 Member
    Options

If you net 1200-1400 then she's not talking about you in the first place. she's talking about people who eat less than 1200 and don't eat back their exercise calories.

Actually if you re-read the OP she did say people who eat 1200 as well.