popcorn??

Options
I need some help. I am making popcorn for me and my daughter. We make it ourselves (not microwave) so I know exactly what I'm putting into the popper. The problem comes when I try to figure out the nutritional information for it. The counts come out differently if I just count the amount of popcorn I measured out + the amount of oil I used vs. measuring the number of cups of popped popcorn. I feel like an idiot - why would it be so different? I searched the archives and couldn't find an answer (if you search for popcorn, you get lots of threads where people talk about taking out their popcorn to eat while watching an entertaining thread!). If it helps, I use 1/3 cup of kernels and 1/2 tbsp. oil. THANKS!

Replies

• missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    i would swap the oil for extra virgin coconut oil! :) delicious and very good for you too!
  • wmphimu
    wmphimu Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Ok, perhaps I will try that, but it still doesn't answer the question...anyone?
  • SRJ5820
    SRJ5820 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil = 60 calories

Popcorn kernel calories vary by brand and yellow vs white. I use Walmart (Great Value) yellow kernels. It is 130 calories for 3 tablespoons (unpopped).

So I come up with about 290 calories for 1/3 cup unpopped kernels and 1/2 tbsp veg oil.

Hope this helps!
  • bahls24
    bahls24 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Get an air popper then dont have worry about the oil
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    If you click on "Food" then "recipes" you can build your own recipe using the ingredients you use. This is really helpful for other homemade dishes too. I would use the raw kernel measurements not the popped measurements.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Get an air popper then dont have worry about the oil

This!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    You can make popcorn in the microwave with a brown paper lunch bag. Just add popcorn seeds to a brown paper lunch bag and roll the top down. Heat until the popping slows.

I've been making oil popped popcorn on the stove lately. I just use enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    How many cups of popped corn do you get from the 3tbsp of unpopped? the popcorn popped calories/cup should be 290/number of cups. The math shouldn't change and the nutritional information shouldn't either unless you are adding salt, which will add sodium. I would calculate it once and go with it forever, it's not going to be too many calories either way.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    If you have a high amount of unpopped kernels it will shift the balance.

I would enter the oil + measure the popped kernels.
  • reddaddie
    reddaddie Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    some of the oil is left on the popper is that the difference? probably not but these are estimates take your best shot at it and enjoy the time with your daughter :-)
  • patticox
    patticox Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am a popcorn junkie!! if you took a look at my diary, you will see this!! I found that I originally was measuring with a 1/4 cup measuring cup, and using 2 of them, I also use about 2 tsp of olive oil. what I found is that because I love popcorn so much, I would fill that darn measuring cup up as full as it would go..and gently get it to the pan before anything fell off!
    I then started measuring everything I can in grams, I found the 1/2 cup that I was counting my unpopped kernels at, was actually about 3/4 cup. 1/4 cup of unpopped popcorn which is considered on the popcorn I have to be the serving size is 33 grams. there is quite a difference with weighing your stuff in grams vs measuring cups, or tablespoons for that matter! good luck