Am I wrong for not giving out candy this year?

Options
MaryJane_8810002
MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
So 2 Halloweens ago it was a rain out and the only trick or treaters were 4 kids and a pregnant woman. Last year there were one large group of kids that were kind of rude. None of them said "trick or treat" or "thank you" and there was a teenager banging down my dining room window shouting "Y'all got candy?!" while my sick grandfather was trying to rest. This year I feel as if the only candy that I should buy is for myself. Plus I have to leave around 7. I feel like putting an "out of candy sign on my door and porch. Am I the only person that feels this way?

Replies

• ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Not at all, just turn your lights off and relax. Enjoy your day/night :)
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I wouldn't say wrong, but perhaps a little grumpy. Just get a bag if kit kats @ rite aid and enjoy the spirit.
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    You should do what makes your life easier. Now myself, I was raised as a child on a large hill with a very steep driveway. So we almost never got children.

Now, I want as many kids as possible. I love seeing them no matter what their age. Usually they are all polite and so cute, even the teens. I can never get enough kids. I love Halloween.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    You don't even have to do that much if you don't want. Some houses in our neighborhood don't do anything. They leave their lights off and we know not to go there.
  • tknuzum1984
    Options
    Our town doesn't do the street walking trick or treating much any more, so we have all sorts o places you can go to get candy, drive thru's or church parking lots. I say don't worry about it. Leave lights off, and if you get a knock, just politely say your out. No worries.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    no. it sure beats the hell out of giving kids letters telling them they are fat like that ***** in Fargo.:explode:
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky, we live in an apartment building and there is no trick-or-treating allowed in the building
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Were not doing the candy thing becuase we only get a couple people stopping by. So we would end up eating the leftover candy.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Were not doing the candy thing becuase we only get a couple people stopping by. So we would end up eating the leftover candy.
    Very good reason to not do it.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    do what u want. you may disappoint a kid, but hey- if you don't care- more power to you.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I see no reason for anyone to give out candy on Halloween if they don't enjoy doing it. I love seeing the kids in their costumes, so I love giving out candy. But not everyone does and they shouldn't feel guilty about that.
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    well watch out for the punk teens who were banging on window.

And watch out for the poor lil kids who come to door and say trick or treat and you say no. Lil kids will still go to door if light is off. When i lived in neighborhood with only a few kids who came buy I had only 1 bag of candy and not the huge halloween onces. Took left over to work.
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Well I'm in the UK and Halloween is not such a big deal here, unfortunately. Loads of folks don't give out sweets. We are not doing so here, nothing to do with being grumpy or mean but simply put the weather is terrible, the nights are getting very dark very quickly parents won't want their young kids out alone and often cannot be bothered to go with them and teenagers are far too "cool or insert whatever word is being used these days" to do to it. I cannot imagine very many (if ANY) kids trick or treating this year.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I haven't done Halloween in over 20 years, and I don't feel bad about it. After my kids left home and since my husband and I were coming back from work late, we decided to go out for dinner on Halloween night and leave the front lights out.

We have been living in gated communities for the last 15 years, with no young children around, so we don't get any kids on Halloween. My youngest grandchildren live in another state and the oldest are too old for trick or treat, so no worries for me.
  • outlandish30
    outlandish30 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I didn't buy candy this year. I had a few persistent kids. They got taco shells.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    No one should have to participate if they don't want to.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Leave the front porch light off and you are fine. There's not law that says you have to hand out candy.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I love giving out candy (though we rarely get any kids where I live), but there's no law that says you have to. A lot of people don't.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    My husband and I always have date night on Halloween. We get home from work, hurry to get ready and get out the door before the first trick or treaters come and leave all the lights off and go out for the evening and don't get home until after 9:00. I don't even buy candy so then I'm not tempted by it either.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Not wrong at all. I've been taught since I was little that the porch light off = they aren't participating. Even now, it seems to be the going message. Last year, we (my kids and I) walked past probably a dozen or so houses, at least, that had lights off (though most people did). There's nothing wrong with opting out.