**Controversial** Eating 1,200 Calories or Less

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I think people & society in general are focusing too much emphasis on just the numbers more than reality. We can perfectly survive & function on a low calorie diet. 200 years ago people didnt worry about calories, they got up in the morning and went about their day, they were much more physically active than we are today, and were overall much more slender than the average person today. They didnt have to jog, eat salads all the time in order to lose weight, or be haunted by that bag of potato chips thats hiding in the pantry. They were already slender because of a much more active lifestyle. Back then if there were any fat people, it was the rich or wealthy... Today is all backwards where a head of lettuce costs more than a .99 cent double cheeseburger.

The best thing is to focus on a healthy lifestyle, such as eating food, real food that is low in calories yet very healthy, such as fruit and vegetables and lean meats and just becoming more active. The result is weight that that you can live with and maintain for a very long time... Stop worrying about the numbers and eat sensibly folks....

Except that its rubbish.

I used to work a hard, manual job outside (was fish-farming) used to live on the farm, miles from town so couldn't pop in for junk food. I lived on wholesome, home cooked meals with plenty of veg etc. Problem was I ate a shedload cos working in the cold makes you HUNGRY. Guess what? I ended up at 17st. I still eat relativeley little junk food, but I now 'pay attention to the numbers' and am now 12 and a half stone.

THANK YOU! For being a perfect example of why eating "healthy foods" and not monitoring calories doesn't work. I genuinely mean that. I wish more people understood that a calorie is a calorie when it comes to weight loss.

And if you read his response, he admitted what his problem was.... and I quote ....." Problem was I ate a shedload" ............. There ya go, stop eating a "shedload" and you'll lose the weight....

Which can be done eating "non-real" food too, right?

That was the point. You can overeat and gain with "real" food too.

You can also lose eating "non-real" food.
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Some people just want you to achieve your weight goal healthily, and if you eat under a certain amount of calories per day, that's at risk.

I personally find it hard to eat more than 1000 or 1100 some days. Some days it takes a lot of effort. But I know it shouldn't.
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    "Burn, baby, burn..."
    If I was a flame baiter and started this I'd be SOOO happy. :smokin:
  • JaneGS93
    Options
    I'l like to mention something because a lot of people don't really think of it like this, I didn't myself at first. 100 calories of carrots won't have the same amount as a 100 calories of cookies. In fact, the weight of the carrots is likely to be larger...and MORE FILLING.

A person could probably feel full and eat well on 1200 calories, all based on what exactly they are eating. If they are eating large amounts of a low calorie food, they are more likely to feel full on those calories compared to others. Of course, your needs and your preferences are different compared to another persons so not everyone will be satisfied on that amount or on low calorie foods. Also, certain nutritional needs must me met for the body to keep functioning. Fasts, vitamins and Minerals are all needed by the body for important functions. So really what it comes down to is not about how much calories you are eating, but are you getting your nutritional needs met. If your body is fine on all it's levels then it shouldn't matter how many calories you eat! Calories are just you to express how much energy a certain food is going to provide the body. Some might need more, some might need less.
  • RonW956
    RonW956 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Some people just want you to achieve your weight goal healthily, and if you eat under a certain amount of calories per day, that's at risk.

I personally find it hard to eat more than 1000 or 1100 some days. Some days it takes a lot of effort. But I know it shouldn't.

I dont know how?

For example, when I was in high school I was in the 160's, played football & was on the track team. I would have a bowl of cereal, CaptN' crunch or Frosted flakes, and walk to school. For the most part I packed my lunches, PB&J sandwich with a small bag of chips & a soda. Walk home from school and go about my thing until dinner time... Normal average home cooked meals that included meat & vegetables of some sort. I was slender, healthy and very active... up until I got my drivers license and first job.... then instead of walking or bike riding I was driving, instead of having home meals I was spending my money eating out w/my dates, next thing ya know I was putting on the weight... got up to 211 at my heaviest .....connection?

I see absolutely no problems eating 3 small meals a day, I've done it, Im sure a lot of you out there have grown up with days similar to mine back then.... so whats the issue? Society is focusing too much on calories...forget the calories people, there are no calories!!! .... lol.... But guess what? Today I had a bowl of cereal, had a PB&J sandwich, and tonight Im having chicken with mixed vegetables and I also would like to add that Im fortunate enough to be able to walk to & from work.... weighed myself this morning at 169.6lbs.... Enough said.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I don't get it either.
    I have 30 years plus of extra carbs, and fat. why shouldn't I use that all up before consuming new carbs and fats?
  • ToFatT0B3S1ck
    ToFatT0B3S1ck Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    <--This girl was told by MFP to only eat 1200 calories a day to lose 1.5 pounds a week. After a few hours of thinking, I've decided that I like food way to much and will be sticking to the original 1500 net. :drinker:

Controversial: Didn't you know that everybody on this webpage knows everything there is to know about weight loss and health?
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    in before the lock
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    ... and we'll see you at the "what am I doing wrong/what's wrong with me, why can't I lose weight" thread. :flowerforyou:

This..........just THIS!!!!

Thank u :drinker:
  • thekyleo
    Options

I dont know how?

For example, when I was in high school I was in the 160's, played football & was on the track team. I would have a bowl of cereal, CaptN' crunch or Frosted flakes, and walk to school. For the most part I packed my lunches, PB&J sandwich with a small bag of chips & a soda. Walk home from school and go about my thing until dinner time... Normal average home cooked meals that included meat & vegetables of some sort. I was slender, healthy and very active... up until I got my drivers license and first job.... then instead of walking or bike riding I was driving, instead of having home meals I was spending my money eating out w/my dates, next thing ya know I was putting on the weight... got up to 211 at my heaviest .....connection?

I see absolutely no problems eating 3 small meals a day, I've done it, Im sure a lot of you out there have grown up with days similar to mine back then.... so whats the issue? Society is focusing too much on calories...forget the calories people, there are no calories!!! .... lol.... But guess what? Today I had a bowl of cereal, had a PB&J sandwich, and tonight Im having chicken with mixed vegetables and I also would like to add that Im fortunate enough to be able to walk to & from work.... weighed myself this morning at 169.6lbs.... Enough said.

WAT
  • RonW956
    Options

I dont know how?

WAT

Just read it again............. why do some people have an issue with food? I eat to live folks......not live to eat...
  • thekyleo
    Options

I dont know how?

WAT

Just read it again............. why do some people have an issue with food? I eat to live folks......not live to eat...

Society is focusing too much on calories...forget the calories people, there are no calories!!!....... you actually typed this, need I say more?
  • frenchfancy123
    frenchfancy123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    No one should be getting angry at what another person chooses to eat or not - that's just silly.

This ^

it's the 'that's just silly' bit...
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    SOMEBODY will argue about anything you post.
  • love9705
    love9705 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    - Because people don't know how to use MFP and don't understand that its 1200 NET calories...a far cry different than 1200 gross calories.

- Because people take the most aggressive approach whether they have 5 Lbs to lose or 200 lbs to lose and don't know the difference.

- Because there are an *kitten* load of young girls on this site who don't even need to lose weight who are netting well below 1000 calories...this is called an eating disorder.

- Because some of us actually care as much or more about actual NUTRITION than just losing a few Lbs...it is next to impossible to actually meet your body's requisite fat, protein, and vitamin and mineral needs when you're eating 1200 calories and exercising 800 of those off.

- Because some of us understand that when you do this for a prolonged period of time you destroy LBM which is very difficult to get back

- Because some of us have been around the block a few times and have been here awhile...and we get to see posts of 1200 calorie "success stories" turning into, "why is my hair falling out" and "why don't I have a period anymore" posts.

I could give you more but you don't really care anyway so why bother...enjoy your awesome and amazing "journey"

Exactly but go ahead with your 1200 cals. I am going to enjoy my 1800 cals woohoo and still losing!!!
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    - Because people don't know how to use MFP and don't understand that its 1200 NET calories...a far cry different than 1200 gross calories.

- Because people take the most aggressive approach whether they have 5 Lbs to lose or 200 lbs to lose and don't know the difference.

- Because there are an *kitten* load of young girls on this site who don't even need to lose weight who are netting well below 1000 calories...this is called an eating disorder.

- Because some of us actually care as much or more about actual NUTRITION than just losing a few Lbs...it is next to impossible to actually meet your body's requisite fat, protein, and vitamin and mineral needs when you're eating 1200 calories and exercising 800 of those off.

- Because some of us understand that when you do this for a prolonged period of time you destroy LBM which is very difficult to get back

- Because some of us have been around the block a few times and have been here awhile...and we get to see posts of 1200 calorie "success stories" turning into, "why is my hair falling out" and "why don't I have a period anymore" posts.

I could give you more but you don't really care anyway so why bother...enjoy your awesome and amazing "journey"

Exactly but go ahead with your 1200 cals. I am going to enjoy my 1800 cals woohoo and still losing!!!

But according to OP, that's eating "like a man" and what "got us here" *waves hands*
  • RonW956
    Options
    I am amazed with all the diet & nutrition experts out here on the forums.... Im so fortunate to be surround by such expertise. I feel so.............happy
  • mmkaye
    mmkaye Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    All I take in is 1200 or less per day. I feel fine!
  • mhouston2011
    Options
    because we live in a world where everyone has forgot how to mind their own business.....facebook...twitter...everyone has the need to publicize and scrutinize everyone for something that they don't feel is right...however, I don't see many people who have such harsh opinions on people here who constantly binge and go over their calories times three...that is acceptable I guess
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    SOMEBODY will argue about anything you post.

no we wont!!!

ETA: I eat on average 2000 a day, 1200 would make me sad. But if thats whats working for you then have at it.
This discussion has been closed.