Need help with weight!! Please respond

Options
124»

Replies

• oroblar
    oroblar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    A couple things I noticed from working out and losing weight.
    There is no super quick fix. Watching what you eat is key. I try to keep all levels below the recommended levels. I always put the meal in computer and compute what calories/carbs/sugar etc that I plan on eating before I actually eat it. Especially for lunch and dinner. I usually do oatmeal for breakfast and my lunch varies depending if I am meeting clients at work. There are hidden sugars in almost everything. I know you mentioned Orange Juice, I was shocked that this super healthy drink is loaded with sugar. Cutting out pop for me was the hardest and I still sneak one in once and a while. However, I know that the rest of my day will be planned around not eating hardly any more sugar. I think you are on the right track. It simply takes lots of time, patience, and perserverance. I get to excercise in the morning also and find it is a huge help. After working out it seems that I am more leary about what I am eating. My attitude is that I don't want to ruin a great workout. Keep up the work tracking what you eat and excercising and you will be fine. Remember, you didn't gain all your weight overnight, and you will not lose it overnight!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    If you've had a lot of sodium one day then you may see an increase in weight the following day. Don't panic! It'll be retained water only and not fat! I know it sounds counter-intuitive but you can combat this by drink lots of water.

You say you don't cook - do you have access to be able to cook? If so it may be an idea to buy a cook book and try stuff. Its much cheaper preping your own veg with some grilled chicken or a simple tomato sauce with some seafood in it served with pasta and a green salad for example. You also then have total control over what and how much you eat.
  • Ronamission
    Ronamission Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was 365. I lost down to 295 then got busy, injured, holidays... Take your pick... I went back up to 320. Now I'm at 305.... I hear you. I would say first of all, it's a sprint not a marathon. Slow and steady wins the race. Don't weigh too often, you'll get frustrated either that it's not coming off fast enough, or you hit a plateau where your body starts hanging on to weight. I have had real luck following the cal. recommendations on MFP. It sounds like you're doing the right stuff. Just be patient. I don't have time for exercise now, I'm just watching what I'm eating and I'm losing. Friend me if you want. I will say though, I'm not the best at daily replies. I'm working about 70 hours a week till December. Keep the faith and just keep watching the cals you're taking in. It does work.
  • bloominberry
    bloominberry Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    check out Sally Edwards and heart zone training. She is extremely knowledgeable. It drives me nuts when I see the generic heart zone charts at gyms. Everyone is different and should exercise in the zone that best suits them.

http://www.heartzones.com/

You will need to do a max heart rate test to get accurate info but it is well worth it.

Good Luck!
  • Congratulations with starting your weight loss journey!

Speaking from personal experience, eating not enough isn't good, even if you are trying to lose weight. It's going to put your body into "starvation mode". So essentially anything you do eat, whether good or bad is gonna stick to you like glue because your body isn't sure if it's going to eat again.

Just keep that in mind. With your current weight, I would recommend staying in the high 2000's - low 3000's in terms of calories. At least for right now until you lose a significant amount of weight. You'll need to adjust your calorie count as you continue to lose.

Good luck!
  • Go4it1985
    Go4it1985 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It depends how much you are aiming to lose.

For 1lb or 1/2kg you need to create a deficit of -3500 calories. You may choose to eat 500 calories less than your BMR or TDEE every day of the week. Or you can purely exercise those 3500 calories or combine a part of both.

Similarly you need to create a -7000 calorie deficit to create a 2lb or 1kg weight loss.

Whilst you don't Need to exercise to lose weight - it is better to combine both as to lose 1kg alone with only cutting down on calories would be harder to achieve.

Also if you do it by diet alone, when you lose weight you will be losing muscle as well as fat.

Long term, you want to keep that muscle and add to it because having more muscle means that you will burn more calories even when you are doing nothing which means you are investing in your future weight loss.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Ymca also offers water aerobics-good luck.....
  • lcondonjr
    lcondonjr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you and I have started in a similar fashion. (6'2", 325 pounds, age 44) My approach was to make a year long goal, to lose 75 pounds. I also started by finding out what my daily calorie intake was to maintain my weight with my current activity (none). I found that my intake was 3200-3500 calories a day. So I slowly reduced that amount in 200 calorie increments and made sure I started exercising daily. (20-30 min walking, biking, kayaking). I found that my diet slowly changed for the better, which made it easier to lower the calorie intake a bit more. When I first started I could only walk about a mile, ride about .5 mile. Now I can walk five miles and ride 25 miles, even starting to mountain bike without feeling like I was going to die.

5 months into my plan I've shed 42 pounds and my daily intake is 1500-1800 calories per day. Each person is different, and my approach may not work for others. The key is never give up, take it one day at a time. Yes some days will be worse than others. You will hit "walls" were progress is not shown on the scale. Remember, muscles weight more than fat. As you tone up you may find that you are adding pounds, but don't forget that you are getting smaller in size. Use weight, and body measurements to measure progress.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I started about 25 lbs more then your starting weight, I was taking in 1750 a day and not eating back exercise calories. I averaged about a 4 lbs loss a week for a few months then it stopped for a month and I stayed the same weight. I upped my calories to 1900 on cardio days and 2100 on heavy lifting days and on average lose about 1.5 lbs a week. I would suggest going here http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ and find your tdee -20% and aim for that number.

Hope this helps.

- send a FR if you want..