What supplements do you or did you take?

Options
13»

Replies

• hankela
    hankela Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    tag
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Wow, there are some major weight loss pros here. I have a scoop of Amazimg Grass every morning because I have read a lot about manmade/fake vitamins that do ,ore harm than good the ones that litter every supermarket and drugstore shelf in the U.S....it"s actually extrememly hard to find supplements that are food and plant based that our bodies can actually process. Plus, I believe whe you have a bery balanced diet and eat healthfully you"re not going to need a lot of supplements.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    1.) Protein powder
    2.) Fish oil
    3.) Multi-vitamin

The rest of the time I'm eating healthy, lots of fruit, vegetables, whole grains, lean meat, nuts, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc. Works good for me.

mmm if you are hitting your goals of protein in the lean meats+nuts+yogurt/cheese department, then the protein powder isn't necessary that could save ya a few bucks

Except whey is a fast digesting protein which is what you want pwo to take advantage of that anabolic window and the bodies increased sensitivity to insulin.

and so is fish. I have personally never really been too afraid of an anabolic window and I have seen gains outside of it. As a matter of fact I usually don't get in any protein untill about 3 hours after my workouts and I am still getting the muscle gains I was after. I use to be terrified of not getting in a protein shake of some sort right after my workout but when I stopped I didn't notice a change at all and was still getting gains in the gym. But of course to each his own :)

Meal timing is irrelevant..I'm just referring to what is OPTIMUM...tons of studies have been done citing the benefits of whey post workout due to its increased absorption rate.

Here's one for example

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi4.htm
    "The faster the protein and carbohydrates get to the muscle, the better your chances for muscle building and recovery. Current research has demonstrated that subjects receiving nutrients within one hour after exercise recover more quickly than subjects receiving nutrients three hours after exercise. Liquid nutrition is making more sense, isn't it?"

References at the bottom

See thats the thing for every article there is usually an article to dispute it. I am not saying whey protein is unnecessary, I take it too and yes it has a nearly 100% absorption rate, what I am saying is for that person's particular diet he can offset the need for it cause his diet is really good. Article below
    http://www.protraineronline.com/nutrition/protein-supplements-vs-protein-foods/

snippet:
    Most bodybuilders and strength athletes already consume more than enough protein, so the importance of BV to these athletes who are already consuming enough protein has been overplayed. Even though whey has a higher BV than chicken breast, fish, or milk protein, if the total quantity of protein you consume is sufficient, then it is not likely that substituting whey for food proteins will result in any additional muscle.

I agree, I think you can get similar results by just eating whole foods for protein sources, but the whey protein powder is just so convenient and relatively cheap for what you get per serving. I make my own protein bars that have about 250 calories and 35g of protein to bring to work to snack on between lunch and dinner. Its just very convenient.

There is so much information out there its overwhelming. I've had good results with just eating a relatively healthy diet with a higher protein intake and eating a deficit to continue fat loss. It's a slow process but gets steady results.