whey isolate

Options
Hello all...yesterday I began taking whey...In the past I have never taken any supplements nor any protein shakes except for muscle milk and I didn't see a differences other than the dent in my pocket!!
I was reading the formula 50 workout book by 50Cent.in it he is saying take 1.5cup of whey and gatorade after every workout....I plan on giving it about 6 weeks from yesterday to see if I have any changes....

Does anybody have any experience with whey and how does it work for u?

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I see more results from pure creatine. I do like the isolates though because it's a good ratio of protein to calories. Also, I can get some protein into my system before a workout without having to worry about digestion issues in the gym.
  • landonfloen
    landonfloen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is as much a food source as it is a supplement. It doesn't "work" per say. Look at the label, those are the Macros you are getting from it. No magic.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Its just a food. There is not really anything in them that will grow muscles bigger or faster. They are useful to help increase your protein if you have trouble getting enough from regular eating.

There is also no reason to eat around your workout unless you want to or you need to do something really active before the next day. .

http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-5.pdf

If you dont want to read the whole thing at least read the "Practical Application" section at the end.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It's a protein supplement, just like muscle milk is. It is just to get your protein in if you cannot do so with 'solid' food. You also do not need to take it with gatorade post workout.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    dude, what kind of results where you expecting in a day?
  • Herbalife_KC
    Options
    Gatorade has nothing to do with your muscle growth. All it does is "put electrolytes back in you" or re hydrates you after sweating it all out. It is also very high in sugar. It isn't that bad I guess, but only athletes should be drinking it. Obviously you work out, but some one who does not work out would only get fat off of drinking Gatorade.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Gatorade has nothing to do with your muscle growth. All it does is "put electrolytes back in you" or re hydrates you after sweating it all out. It is also very high in sugar. It isn't that bad I guess, but only athletes should be drinking it. Obviously you work out, but some one who does not work out would only get fat off of drinking Gatorade.

If I drink Gatorade and don't workout...

...I'll get fat?

:huh:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    It's a protein supplement, just like muscle milk is. It is just to get your protein in if you cannot do so with 'solid' food. You also do not need to take it with gatorade post workout.

^ This. It's just useful if you can't get your protein elsewhere, or just like the taste. It's far from necessary and doesn't have its own special results unique from chicken or tuna or any other protein source.

^ Gatorade won't give any miraculous results without exercise, for sure. And even with exercise, it's just a recovery drink - rehydrate, rebalance electrolytes and replace some calories.

But the only way it's going to make you fat is if it contributes to a caloric surplus. Sugar consumption does not automatically make you fat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Even if they were in a caloric deficit?
  • aysesungur
    Options
    Whey isolate is much better than soy protein isolate so you have made a good choice. It does not really answer your question but I thought I would share that it is important to stay away from soy protein isolate.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Whey isolate is much better than soy protein isolate so you have made a good choice. It does not really answer your question but I thought I would share that it is important to stay away from soy protein isolate.

Why is that?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Even if they were in a caloric deficit?

Certainly not, that person is just misinformed or didn't think their whole post over before posting it.

Yep....hence the question.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I gained 100 pounds in a year from drinking Gatorade.
  • aysesungur
    Options
    Sarauk,

The world has been mislead by the billion dollar industry. It would be wise to steer clear of soy protein isolate. Soy protein isolate is one of the most genetically modified foods on the market. It can wreak havoc on the thyroid gland. Soy is difficult for the body to absorb unless it is fermented soy. Fermented soy is not a problem. Compared to soy protein isolate, whey protein isolate is easy to absorb. More amino acids will reach the muscles quicker which will help to rejuvenate the muscles. Improving your muscles will improve your thyroid which will give you a healthier metabolism.
    There are so many other reasons I can share.
    Here is a video if you would like to watch.
    I was in the dark about the dangers until I started ingesting soy protein isolate every day for three weeks in a row.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uIn2L90wA8
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sarauk,

The world has been mislead by the billion dollar industry. It would be wise to steer clear of soy protein isolate. Soy protein isolate is one of the most genetically modified foods on the market. It can wreak havoc on the thyroid gland. Soy is difficult for the body to absorb unless it is fermented soy. Fermented soy is not a problem. Compared to soy protein isolate, whey protein isolate is easy to absorb. More amino acids will reach the muscles quicker which will help to rejuvenate the muscles. Improving your muscles will improve your thyroid which will give you a healthier metabolism.
    There are so many other reasons I can share.
    Here is a video if you would like to watch.
    I was in the dark about the dangers until I started ingesting soy protein isolate every day for three weeks in a row.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uIn2L90wA8

Soy is very bioavailable.

That video is from Merclola - not a credible source...at all.
  • aysesungur
    Options
    Dr. Joseph Mercola seems like he is a very knowledgeable health expert. Maybe you know somethings about him that I don't?

Dr. Mercola is only one of many health experts that know about soy protein isolate.

Dr. Mehmet Oz from the Dr. Oz show also believe in avoiding soy supplements made from isolated soy components.

I believe in what Dr. Oz would have to say because he is not trying to sell his own products.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Dr. Joseph Mercola seems like he is a very knowledgeable health expert. Maybe you know somethings about him that I don't?

Dr. Mercola is only one of many health experts that know about soy protein isolate.

Dr. Mehmet Oz from the Dr. Oz show also believe in avoiding soy supplements made from isolated soy components.

I believe in what Dr. Oz would have to say because he is not trying to sell his own products.

Nuff said.

He and Oz are total quacks.

ETA:

http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html