How Io did it

Options
Many people ask me how I lost weight. It was a combination of things, but when it came down to it, it was calories in, and calories out. Studies show that the part of the brain for someone else is activated when we think of our future self. You have to start loving your future self. Below is what worked for me. :

1. Exercise one hour a day, 5 days a week. Many people do not want to do this, but would you rather be fat? Just do it. I would pack my gym bag for a whole week and throw it in my car. Then I do not have an excuse for not working out.

2. Join a gym that is fun and encouraging. If the instructor does not know your name by the third time you go, try a different class. There are people in my classes that are morbidly obese. Everyone is so impressed that they are trying. They will notice your progress and make you feel good about yourself.

3. Weigh yourself everyday. I know many say not to, but it keeps you living in reality.

4. Stop making excuses for yourself. You are too good for that.

5. Develop a mantra to use when working out. Mine is, "I don't quit when I am tired, I quit when I am done." I say it over and over when it gets hard.

6. Work up a dripping sweat. It won't kill you.

7. Eat a big breakfast. I find the more I eat in the morning the less hungry I am at night.

8. Have some secret weapons. Mine is almonds in the morning. They balance my blood sugar and keep me from getting hungry later in the day. Also, sucking on chew-able vitamin C every 20 minutes until my sugar cravings go away. Then there is chocolate Almond Milk. I heat it up and add marshmallows every night. It is only 200 calories.

9.. Go hungry if you have too. Many people all over the world are more hungry than you. Suck it up.

10. Calories are like money. When your out your done.

11. Get rid of old clothes as soon as they don't fit and buy new ones that fit, even if they are from a resale shop or good will.

!2. Avoid trigger foods. My triggers are chewy candy, chocolate, and good brownies. I just can not have them because I can not stop.

13. Give up fast food. Just say, "I don't eat that" instead of, "I can't have that"

14. Make yourself a deal- you can eat whatever you want, you just have to log everything. It forces you to live in reality.

15. When you are tempted, say, "I would rather be a size 8 ( or what ever you want to be) than eat that."

!6. Believe you can change, just like that.

17. I have a 2/3s rule. Never eat more that 2/3s of what you have on your plate, especially if it is not within your diet. Worried about wasting good food? Again, would you rather be fat than throw away some extra food?

18. Never give up. It took me ten years to figure out what would work.

19. Don't be afraid to eat back your exercise calories.

20. Know your BMI and set a goal based on that. Mine was to have a BMI of 24, which is in the healthy range. Knowing you BMI also keeps you living in reality.

21. Stop eating when you are no longer hungry, not when you are full.

These are just my tricks that worked for me. what works for you?

By the way, I am 52 years old and through menopause. .

Replies

• minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    It is great that you have figured out what works for you. Congratulations on your progress.
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks! good job to you too! I want to lose ten more.
  • CherylCalmConfidentCapable
    Options
    aww i love this, am gonna print it out, stick it up and carry a spare around with me. Impressed x
  • carolyn000000
    Options
    Looking forward to hearing about your progress!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Seems like a lot of rules *shrug*. Whatever works for you OP. :flowerforyou:
  • Jagreene62
    Jagreene62 Posts: 4,782 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS!! It's nice to know that we ain't never too old, right?? :laugh:

Also, I have a question: You obviously look like you did some strength training...true? How often? I am finding it difficult to find the time for that specifically. I have a special needs son and my time isn't always 'my time'. Thank GOD, I have always been able to get some cardio in, but would really like to tone a little of this flab!! :laugh:

Thanks, Judy
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    It's great that these rules have worked for you, and lots of them are part of my strategy as well... but.I would go pretty insane over some of those and end up giving up if I had to so strictly stick to things like "only eat 2/3 of what's on your plate." I prepare my meals to fit within my allotted calories, why shouldn't I be allowed to eat it all? If I weighed myself everyday, it would become an obsession...I prefer once every couple of weeks and there's nothing wrong with that. for many people, looking at that scale everyday is a source of anxiety and should be avoided. Big breakfasts are not necessary...the more I eat at breakfast, and the earlier I eat, the hungrier I feel over the course of the day. I do great with minimal calories before about 2pm.

I'm certainly not posting this to say YOU don't have to do those things, they work for you, stick with it and be awesome! I just wanted to comment so that people know its about figuring out what works for us as individuals...and the only essential thing we need to do is create a caloric deficit...using whatever strategies help us be successful.
  • carolyn000000
    Options
    Hi Judy!

Thanks for your supportive replies! About the strength training, the answer is yes. My first goal was to not miss a workout for a year. This meant working out at least 3 times a week for an hour but usually it was 4 or 5 times a week.. I only lost about ten pounds. I did some functional fitness classes, spinning, a jump rope class. I made no excuses. If I had an injury, I found an alternative workout. I did miss two weeks when I had the flu. After I met that goal, I started counting calories. The pounds just melted off. I lost 30 pounds in matter of a few months. I think it was because of the muscle, my body was really ready to shed the weight. But it shows that weight is not lost in the gym, it is mostly what you eat.

It must be really hard with a special needs child. I didn't do all of this until my children were grown. I really like fitness blender, (Google it). They have hundreds of workouts for free! And they are all different lengths. I wish you the very best luck!

By the way, I now continue with the functional fitness classes but also do crossfit.
  • carolyn000000
    Options
    I guess I should have been more specific. These where not rules except for the 2/3's thing, and that was only if it was something with a lot of calories. I love Jimmy Johns with all the high calorie add-ons and can only have it with chips. I would only it 2/3's of it or less. If it was a healthy meal, like under 500 or 600 hundred calories, I was part of the clean plate club mostly .fI was full after 2/3's I would stop eating.

People are always asking me how I did it, and my short answer is diet and exercise, and they groan. I also always mention my fitness pal. I thought it would be a good Idea to put everything down on paper so if someone really wanted to know, I would have clearer thoughts. I then thought, why not post on on here?
  • ravengal
    Options
    Thanks for posting your list of tips. As a person who benefits from a LOT of structure when losing weight, your list serves as a great reminder to take what works and discard what doesn't..
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and wow, great job and discipline. I truly believe the hardest part for most of us is admitting we are the only one responsible for our weight. That's why I like #9 on your list. Before I started on MFP it seemed I was not necessarily hungry before meals. After tracking calories I realized how ridiculous that was. Now, when I experience hunger, I realize it isn't going to kill me. After all, I am the one who tells my body what to do and when it will eat.

I also think it's great you took the challenge at the age you are. So many people think that once we reach 50, the game is over. Whatever weight they are, they just have to accept. That is so false. If anything we have more time to focus on taking care of ourselves and less distractions.

Anyway, thanks for posting what worked for you. It's an awesome story and will encourage many.
  • carolyn000000
    Options
    By the way, I am now 7 pounds under my original goal of a BMI of 24. Would like to get it to around 22.
  • carolyn000000
    Options
    thank you NCServant. I just read my list to my husband, and I started to cry. I don't know why, but I was very emotional about it!
  • Jagreene62
    Jagreene62 Posts: 4,782 Member
    Options
    Hi Judy!

Thanks for your supportive replies! About the strength training, the answer is yes. My first goal was to not miss a workout for a year. This meant working out at least 3 times a week for an hour but usually it was 4 or 5 times a week.. I only lost about ten pounds. I did some functional fitness classes, spinning, a jump rope class. I made no excuses. If I had an injury, I found an alternative workout. I did miss two weeks when I had the flu. After I met that goal, I started counting calories. The pounds just melted off. I lost 30 pounds in matter of a few months. I think it was because of the muscle, my body was really ready to shed the weight. But it shows that weight is not lost in the gym, it is mostly what you eat.

It must be really hard with a special needs child. I didn't do all of this until my children were grown. I really like fitness blender, (Google it). They have hundreds of workouts for free! And they are all different lengths. I wish you the very best luck!

By the way, I now continue with the functional fitness classes but also do crossfit.

Thank You....will definitely look that up!!

As for crying after reading the list to your hubby....THIS is an emotional journey for most of us. We have been so long not healthy and now we are!! It's something to cry about for sure!! HAPPY TEARS!!! Celebrate everyday with Happy Tears!!! :flowerforyou:
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    People are always asking me how I did it, and my short answer is diet and exercise, and they groan.
    ALWAYS!
  • lau444
    lau444 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Just printed this out! Gonna tape it on the wall next to my treadmill. Thank you for sharing.
  • Queen2day
    Queen2day Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Love the list!!! I am close to your age but have farther to go. I agree with most of the list!! AWESOME job !!!
  • carolyn000000
    Options
    One thing I don't do is reward myself like getting a manicure when Iose ten pounds or something. The reward is you lost weight. Why reward yourself for something you should have done anyway?
  • Strangegirlz
    Strangegirlz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed reading this, I like that you made it clear these are things that worked for you. There are some points that I know wouldn't suit me, but others that I found helpful. You've done really well, congratulations
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    congrats on your weight loss :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!