Cooking Challenge: Sweet Potatoes

Options
inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
Welcome to the third round of the cooking challenge! This week's ingredient comes to us from squishyfishy who was the winner of the chickpea challenge.

sweet_potato.jpg

This week's challenge is SWEET POTATOES.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest has ranked the sweet potato number one in nutrition of all vegetables. The rationale behind this decision included dietary fiber, naturally occurring sugars, complex carbohydrates, protein, Vitamins A and C, iron, and calcium.

The sweet potato is full of nutrients which eliminate free radicals (chemicals that damage cells). There is also evidence that the nutrients in the sweet potato are helping in reducing asthma, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis.

Sweet Potato (1 sweet potato)
112 calories
0 grams of fat
0 mg cholesterol
72 mg sodium
438 mg potassium
26 g carbs
4 g dietary fiber
5 g sugar
2 g protein

These are the rules for the challenge:

1. You don't need to have created the recipe from scratch, but you DO need to make it.
2. Voting will be put up for the challenge and the winner of the challenge will pick the next ingredient to be used.
3. Pictures are encouraged but not required. If you want to post a picture upload it on a website like photobucket.com or tinypic.com . If there's any questions about how to do that, don't be shy to ask me.
4. You do need to post the recipe you used so other people can try it too, if they so please.
5. If you used a recipe from another source give credit to the original creator!
6. Your recipe can be a breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, or dessert! Anything!

Fill out the following form to play:

NAME OF RECIPE:
INGREDIENTS:
DIRECTIONS:
CALORIES PER SERVING:
HOW MANY IT SERVES:
OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:
PICTURE (optional):

Voting for this challenge will begin next Saturday at 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

Replies

• timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    OOH, stubbled onto this topic....what a brilliant idea, to post an item challange and then get lots of great recipes....I only do the norm with my sweet potato (bake, then put a little light butter, splenda and cinnamon on mine) so no real interesting recipe but will look forward to maybe others posting some....BRILLIANT idea!!
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    I just bought sweet potatoes this morning! Yay I can finally participate!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Mmm... We have some at home already! Thinking either a soup, chili or some kind of dessert.... Sweet potato pie is SO good. I wonder if I can make it healthy! We'll see what I can come up with :happy: Thanks for the challenge, Liz!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Mmm... We have some at home already! Thinking either a soup, chili or some kind of dessert.... Sweet potato pie is SO good. I wonder if I can make it healthy! We'll see what I can come up with :happy: Thanks for the challenge, Liz!

Of course! I'm having so much fun with this :)
  • Equilibrium
    Equilibrium Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm so glad I logged on at just the right time to see this thread! I have a meal already planned for Wednesday that is Pork and Sweet Potato Stir-Fry. Will try to get a nice pic to upload, and of course the recipe.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Oh, I'm so glad I logged on at just the right time to see this thread! I have a meal already planned for Wednesday that is Pork and Sweet Potato Stir-Fry. Will try to get a nice pic to upload, and of course the recipe.

Yay! I'm glad you'll be joining!
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    Bump
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Good timing!! I am making this one again tonight:

Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie (from Kraft What's Cooking magazine, Fall 2010)

1/2 Lb sweet potato (1 large) peeled, cut into 2 inch cubes.
    2 Tbsp Herb & Garlic Cream Cheese
    1/2 Lb lean ground beef
    1 chop sliced mushrooms
    1 green onion, chopped
    2 Tbsp Sun-dried tomato & oregano dressing
    2 tsp flour
    1/4 cup water
    1 cup frozen green beans

Heat oven to 375F. Microwave potatoes in small bowl on High 4 minutes or until tender, mash until smooth. Add cream cheese; mix well.

Brown meat with mushrooms, onions and dressing in large skillet; drain.

Mix flour and water. Add to meat mixture; cook 2 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in beans; spoon into two 2 cup ramekins sprayed with cooking spray. Cover with potato mixture.

Bake 15 minutes or until heated through.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 414

HOW MANY IT SERVES: Two

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: REALLY good; i have made this twice already, a third tonight! I did not use Ramekins though, the ones i have are to small. I just threw it in a square pan.

PICTURES:

http://mmmhomecooking.blogspot.com/2010/09/sweet-potato-shepards-pie.html

http://mmmhomecooking.blogspot.com/2010/10/sweet-potato-shepherds-pie-revisited.html

(sorry, having a hard time making the links so the pictures appear here, there are no ads, etc on the above links, just my ramblings and pictures.)
  • joan41
    joan41 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    what about baked sweet potato french fries. Cut sweet potatos thin, spray cooking sheet with pam, sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake on 425 for 10-15 minutes. Sounds yummy to me, I may try to bake some this week!
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Spent all of Friday cooking dinner for a almost 60 people on my campus, and used the Fruited Sweet Potato Casserole recipe that my mom makes for every Thanksgiving. While it's DELICIOUS, I'm not sure that I want to do that again.... hopefully I'll find something else
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    what about baked sweet potato french fries. Cut sweet potatos thin, spray cooking sheet with pam, sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake on 425 for 10-15 minutes. Sounds yummy to me, I may try to bake some this week!

Homemade Sweet Potato Fries are delicious! We made some for girl's night the other week and couldn't stop eating them!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Yum! I love sweet potatoes! I just realized I missed posting my recipe in last week's thread... I'll have to go back and do that! The week got away from me somehow!
  • randilea
    randilea Posts: 140
    Options
    bump
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato Soup
    Ingredients:

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 large sweet potato, diced
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 carrots, thinly sliced
    4 cups vegetable stock or water (I use water to keep the sodium content down)
    1 1/2 tsp coriander
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    1 tsp salt
    3/4 cups evaporated skim milk
    Chopped cilantro for garnish

1. In a soup pot, heat oil and saute potatoes, onions, celery, and carrots until softened, about 5 minutes.
    2. Add vegetable stock or water, coriander, and thyme and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered for about 1 hour.
    3. For a chunkier soup, puree half of the soup in a blender or food processor. If you would like it creamier, puree all the soup.
    4. Return to the pot and add evaporated skim milk. Heat on low heat until warm through out. Garnish with chopped cilantro.

Calories per serving: 162
    Number of servings: 4
    Opinions on how it tasted: This soup is divine! Process it to your individuals tastes. Typically I prefer my soups creamy but next time I think I'll leave some small chunks. YUM!

Enjoy!

5110798500_73c0739164.jpg
  • ElvenMother427
    Options
    YaY! I love these challenges :):) Be back with something yummy later :)
  • suzannexxx
    suzannexxx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    tomatoe and sweet potato soup

1kg sweet pots
    1kg toms
    2 onions
    1litreof veg stock
    2 cloves of garlic
    seasoning

soften onions then add washed chopped unpeeled pots toms garlic and stock
    bring to boil and simmer for 25 mins
    use a hand blender to blend till smooth

lovely and tasty soup
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Ohh I made some stews last week here is one of my own recipes :bigsmile:

NAME OF RECIPE:

Chellie's Homemade Chicken Stew with Sweet Potatoes

INGREDIENTS:

Chellie's Butchers Bought - Fresh Chicken Breast Grilled on George or In A Stew, 12 Ounce
    Chellie's Kallo - Just Bouillon Chicken Stock Cubes, 100 ml
    Chellie's Tesco - Dry Soup Mix (Lentils, Peas etc), 25 g
    Chellie's Fresh - Sweet Potatoe Raw or Steamed/Boiled, 13.5 Ounce
    Chellie's Fresh - Raw Onion, 2 Ounce
    Chellie's Fresh - Parsnips (Steamed, Boiled etc No Oil), 2 Ounce
    Chellie's Fresh - Carrots (Steamed), 3.5 ounce
    Chellie's Fresh - Celery (Steamed, Boiled etc No Oil), 1 Ounce
    Chellie's Fresh - Courgette (Steamed, Boiled etc No Oil), 1.25 Ounce
    Chellie's Fresh - Leek (Steamed, Boiled etc No Oil), 1 Ounce
    500 ml of water

DIRECTIONS:

This part is easy lol basically chop and dice all the ingredients and put them into a casserole dish. I then cooked it in the microwave at 700 for 10 mins at a time inbetween giving it a good stir around and adding more water as necessary. Total cooking time is about 40 mins ..

CALORIES PER SERVING:

281 cals
    244 Sodium
    32 Carbs
    30 Protein
    1 Sat Fat
    6 Fibre

HOW MANY IT SERVES:

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC:

It was my first time using Sweet potatoes but it was so yummy :bigsmile: I also made a variation on that using minced beef and it too was very yummy :love:

:blushing: I never thought of taking a picture of it sorry now it's in the freezer in indivual portions :heart:
  • inskydiamonds
    Options

Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie (from Kraft What's Cooking magazine, Fall 2010)

Here's your pictures:

DSC01992.JPG

IMG00064.jpg
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    bump, what a lovely bunch of recipes l.ove this thread.
  • sslin2535
    Options
    Bump