How is 1770 calories so little food?

Options
13»

Replies

• elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I guess so many of you don`t have emotional issues with food and are or were overweight because of SAD, (standard american diet)
    no, I ate because I was lonely, sad, bored, angry, unfulfilled, depressed, unhealthy...etc.

perhaps people responded the way they did because of the title of the post...because 1770 isn't "so little food" unless you're eating the wrong types of foods, so yeah, people came in to help you make the most of your calories.

But what your problem really is, is "I'm having trouble giving up the things I love to eat in order to stick to my calories" which is related but different. Still lots of the strategies hold true...I find lower calorie versions of some things, to make room for other things (If I find a lower calorie bread, I can have this little piece of chocolate!). Or lower calorie substitutes for some things so I don't miss them as much as I would if I had to cut them out entirely (PB2 instead of peanut butter).

You may think this doesn't address the psychological issue but it does...If your body gets the nutrition it needs, and you don't have actual hunger, just the desire to eat...it's a lot easier to be strong. If you are deficient in nutrients AND feeling weak in the will-power department, that's much more difficult.

One last thing...hard as it might be right now to believe it...some of this get easier. Habits are very powerful...hard to break the bad ones, hard to start the good ones...but once you start working towards the better habits, they become easier to stick to.
  • csteuter
    csteuter Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, but it does get easier. My "go to" when I am really hungry is a Jack Link's beef jerky stick -- only 50 calories. It's way high on sodium, but all protein, so it really takes the edge off between meals. And it's better than a bag of Lay's potato chips. :)

On Halloween I decided to eat whatever I wanted ... I've been doing MFP for about 12 weeks and have lost about 14 pounds. I know that's good, but also discouraging, as I really wanted to be at 2 pounds a week, which is 24 pounds. I have found that is unrealistic. So back to Halloween. I started my day off with a long john donut. Then, for lunch at a Filet o Fish and french fries from McDonalds. Mid-afternoon I had a couple of mini Reese's peanut butter cups. Then, for dinner I had some home made frito chili pie. By about 8:00, I looked at my husband and told him what I had done in honor of the "holiday". And then said "This is how I used to eat every single day". It was a big eye opener. I was unsatisfied and all the crap food I ate only made me want to eat more crap food.

Now, some days I go over my 1200 calorie limit, but mostly I stick to it and try to walk at least 30 minutes a day. Some days are harder than others, but really ... as you modify your eating, it gets easier and easier. Plan ahead for the whole day and log it! Then you don't have to think about it when the time comes.

For me, the greatest thing at the end of a long hard day is TIME. Replace your wine/cheese with a new hobby (needlecraft, anything) ... you may be surprised at how that takes the edge off for habits/evening cravings.

I wish you the best .. remember, even .5 pound a week is 26 pounds in a year.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    The reason we looked at your diary was to offer tips on how and what to eat to make you feel more satisfied with your 1700 calories. For example skipping breakfast having a chicken salad at lunch and some fish, rice and veggies at dinner would give you plenty of protein and fiber leaving room for the relaxing evening snack and glass of wine.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I`m really sorry I ever opened my diary. I was asking for motivational help. Many of your sarcastic comments about quick adds, as if your sure I can not be correct in the calorie count by reading labels and just not bothering to search the food name. You do realize they print calories on labels no?

I am looking for motivation to change how much I eat, my question was how does one get their brain around eating smaller portions. I realize an ounce of chicken is a lot less than I thought. doesn`t that give you the idea that I am weighing my food.

I really want to give those who critiqued my diary a big sarcastic thanks!

It`s a psychological thing. Not really a nutrition thing, another reason it is in the motivation section and not the general diet and weight loss help.

What I want to know is when the scale goes down so slowly, little by the little, the way I hear it is supposed to, what do you do to keep your motivation.

If you love food and wine, like I do, what do you do in place that is fun?

I didn't see any sarcasm just people trying to help. If you ask a question looking for help various variables are needed to see exactly what's going on. You my dear are not cut out for public forums Have a great day!
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I used veggies to help. I tend to measure my intake in "bites" (I CANNOT do smoothies/drink my calories) so chopped up broccoli, carrots, celery and radishes help tell my mind I've eaten a lot without ingesting a lot of calories.

hang in there. you're worth it. :)
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options

I am not sure what you are doing wrong, but I have been at this for a week now, and I am a big dude at 6'2'' and I am starting to have trouble as well eating all my 2000 calories. I think you need calorically dense whole foods. One of the members here who lost a lot of weight said one of the things that helped was that he ate food with as few ingredients as possible, meaning natural whole foods that are naturally more calorically and nutritionally dense.

Also, if you ask for advice and people try to give it, don't get mad or discouraged when you don't like the answer they are giving. If you need a hug and a pat on the back to get you on track then ask of that, but I don't think this is the place to have people blow smoke up your back side either. If you want them to help then you have to be open to honest feedback.

Not asking what I am doing wrong, I am losing. finally getting started on the right path but I am not feeling it yet.

I am asking how to feel good and find a new friend in all of this. A new friend besides food. Let`s be honest depriving yourself of things you love never feels fun at first. does it??? How do you change a habit, just flip a switch??? You all seem so sure of yourselves for whatever reason. Sure enough to put people down when they ask a question.

I know the feeling. I feel the same way about food so I do my best to fit in the foods I love into my everyday life (just less of it). A lot of the time on the weekend I just try to maintain weight and eat what I want cause sundays especially are family/food day. I still consider food a friend I just don't use it like I used to. I try to avoid overeating when I'm sad and stuff. I love music so I usually play guitar or listen to music to express some emotion, that way I don't eat it instead. I save the food for other occasions. Find something you love to do.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I love food.

It really does get easier.

I think what helped me is noticing that when I was actually hungry food started tasting even better. Before I never let myself get hungry. If I wasn't stuffed, I would go find something to eat. Now even stuff that was just "OK" before tastes great to me...like fruit.

Sometimes I really want to just eat LOTS of food. I want the sensation of crunching. Then I go for something like popcorn. Other times I want junk food...chocolate or something. I plan for it, and I think I enjoy it more because it is a treat, and because I don't feel guilty about it.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    didn`t ask for advice about intake. Hitting intake targets. Asked about how to feel better about stopping doing something you love and what to do to fill the void. Motivation and support. Not negativity and discouragement.

Again, psychological question. Not about intake!!!!!!!

One big mistake in our society is that we have separated the brain from the body. Malnutrition (and gut flora issues) causes depression, anxiety, and all manner of emotional and eating "disorders". Based on my own experience, I would argue that most psychological disorders are PHYSICAL disorders. It's not mind over matter. If you are battling with hunger, not feeling full, cravings, and bingeing those are often signs of malnutrition (and other diet related problems), which means you need to eat nutrient dense foods (healthy fats), not large volumes of low nutrient food. I'm speaking from experience. No amount of restricting calories, motivation or willpower did anything for me for 20 years because I was malnourished and eating foods that kept me sick.

I didn't criticize your diary, but if you really want to help yourself, the FOOD matters. Yes, even for, and especially for, "psychological" problems.
  • cupcakegirl81
    cupcakegirl81 Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I remember when I started MFP almost a year ago, that I had so much trouble staying under my calorie goal. I was hungry all the time and I couldn't believe how fast cals added up. But, you learn what you can and can't eat. You learn what's healthy and what's not. You learn how to fit in treats. Just give it some time. You really want this.
  • Elpaw4mbv
    Elpaw4mbv Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    OP, I get it. I am a foodie, I don't do well with deprivation, and I have a real issue with doing anything that starts with the word "die" - that said - I recognize that I am going to have to make some changes and do a lot of things that I really wish I didn't have to (burpees anyone?) to lose this weight and keep it off.

So, my tricks:
    1) I don't use the standard American dinner plate anymore. I use the smaller "salad" or luncheon plate for my meals.
    2) Ditto with wine glasses - I have half the serving size and drink smaller sips to savor the wine longer
    3) When I go out to eat, I ask for the container up front if I am "going to be bad" or getting a non-diet entrée and I put at least half of the food in the container before I start eating. (Then it gets taken to work for lunch - again in portioned sizes...)
    4) I won't eat anything that I don't enjoy the experience of eating. For those who are of the eat to live mentality - that will not make any sense - please drive on, I can't explain it to you. I have to enjoy the entire experience of eating the food - taste, texture, visual, smell, mouth-feel etc. - if one of those are off or its something I can eat mindlessly without thought - it's a no go.
    5) I play around with recipes to find lower calorie/lower fat alternatives that still meet item 4
    6) I find non-food/beverage rewards for myself and I reward myself for more than losing weight. If I decide not to eat something I really wanted because I know I can't fit it into one of the 5 options above - if I got all my water in for a week - if I hit my macros - if I took 5,000 more steps today - then I buy a book, get my husband to keep the kids occupied so I can have a long soak in the tub without interruptions, or buy something I have been wanting.
    7) When I lose weight I put money in my "clothes fund" for the shopping trip I plan to take when I have dropped a size.

Hope one or more of these help.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    You made the comment that it felt like you'd lost a friend when you had to cut back on your food. It sounds like you have a relationship with food that needs to be changed. Food is not a friend that you can go to when you're sad, lonely, stressed, etc. Food can't help you solve your problems or keep you company. I turned to food for those things for a long time and it took some deep soul searching on my part to stop that way of thinking.

We talk a lot about 'lifestyle change' on this site and that's partially true. But for those of us who have had an unhealthy relationship with food, it's more than that. It's self discovery and healing.

Yes, I think this is what I need. I think food and wine, is a reward for a long day. I need something else that I love just as much. I don`t know what that is yet. And I have made myself feel bad about my body my who life. First family members did it for me and then I did it to myself. I`ve read many books on the subject and am only now starting to get to the root of my body hatred. It really is a tough process.

Feel free to friend me. I'm happy to help if I can.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    There is a big difference between constructive and helpful criticism and sarcasm. Most of the people here honestly want to help, but need accurate information to do so.

My trick on being satisfied on fewer calories is to prepare all my favorite dishes, portion them out into individual containers and then fill in with veggies and fruit and other low calorie items. In the past few days, I've had pot roast, mashed potatoes, grilled chicken in pesto pasta sauce, sweet sausage soup, caramelized carrots, asparagus sautéed in butter, rice, coconut chicken curry, spinach and chicken salad with raspberry vinaigrette dressing, crunchy oven-baked chicken. I look forward to all of it and stay at around 1350-1400 calories. There is usually room for a glass of wine a few times a week and always small amounts of good chocolate.

I never let myself feel deprived. The people here can give you ideas about that, if you'd let them.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Also, the reason to actually add the food instead of looking at a label and adding the calories using Quick Add is that you have all the nutritional information stored for review. This is about more than just adding up the calories. I look at not only my macros (fat, protein and carbs) but I take a glance at my sugar intake, fiber, vitamins, calcium, iron. Often those numbers by mid-afternoon inform my decisions about what I will have for dinner or my last snack.
  • Bunnyeye
    Options
    Pyschologist,s has stated to use a smaller Blue dinner Plate" Apparrently its Suppose to aid in the Visual context when eating meal,
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I`m really sorry I ever opened my diary. I was asking for motivational help. Many of your sarcastic comments about quick adds, as if your sure I can not be correct in the calorie count by reading labels and just not bothering to search the food name. You do realize they print calories on labels no?

I am looking for motivation to change how much I eat, my question was how does one get their brain around eating smaller portions. I realize an ounce of chicken is a lot less than I thought. doesn`t that give you the idea that I am weighing my food.

I really want to give those who critiqued my diary a big sarcastic thanks!

It`s a psychological thing. Not really a nutrition thing, another reason it is in the motivation section and not the general diet and weight loss help.

What I want to know is when the scale goes down so slowly, little by the little, the way I hear it is supposed to, what do you do to keep your motivation.

If you love food and wine, like I do, what do you do in place that is fun?

You don't have to give up wine and cheese. I have both 2-3 times a wk. The idea is to make it fit into your day. The comments about stopping with the quick adds is so you can see the overall macro counts, not to criticize. Additionally, psychologically, seeing a diary filled with actual food is quite motivating!
  • grandpoobah12
    Options
    Pyschologist,s has stated to use a smaller Blue dinner Plate" Apparrently its Suppose to aid in the Visual context when eating meal,

I got one last week. Yes, it is a good idea. Unfortunately it is still next to my skinny husbands big dinner plate. I do find it helps a lot when eating alone.

I have to keep saying to myself, I am overweight because I eat too much, he is not overweight he can eat what he wants.
  • grandpoobah12
    Options

I didn't see any sarcasm just people trying to help. If you ask a question looking for help various variables are needed to see exactly what's going on. You my dear are not cut out for public forums Have a great day!

I`m sure I`ll have a great day after that comment.
  • inverseofmissy
    inverseofmissy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I like to watch my friends' diaries to get food ideas and see what kinds of meals are low on calories, etc. After a while you will start to learn what types of things to avoid, and also your taste buds might adapt to the new diet and you may find yourself craving and enjoying some of the healthier foods more than you ever thought possible. I love to eat GOOD food too so the best way for me, personally, to work it out is to choose 1 food in a meal that I really love and have a sensible serving of it, then pair it with much healthier sides to balance things out. I know if I plan carefully the rest of the day, I can splurge a little on one meal/food at some point that day. Or I can plan to go for a walk to earn back some extra calories to cover a small splurge. I have to have some really yummy stuff sometimes to keep me going :)
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options

I am not sure what you are doing wrong, but I have been at this for a week now, and I am a big dude at 6'2'' and I am starting to have trouble as well eating all my 2000 calories. I think you need calorically dense whole foods. One of the members here who lost a lot of weight said one of the things that helped was that he ate food with as few ingredients as possible, meaning natural whole foods that are naturally more calorically and nutritionally dense.

Also, if you ask for advice and people try to give it, don't get mad or discouraged when you don't like the answer they are giving. If you need a hug and a pat on the back to get you on track then ask of that, but I don't think this is the place to have people blow smoke up your back side either. If you want them to help then you have to be open to honest feedback.

Not asking what I am doing wrong, I am losing. finally getting started on the right path but I am not feeling it yet.

I am asking how to feel good and find a new friend in all of this. A new friend besides food. Let`s be honest depriving yourself of things you love never feels fun at first. does it??? How do you change a habit, just flip a switch??? You all seem so sure of yourselves for whatever reason. Sure enough to put people down when they ask a question.

if you're that hungry at 1700 calories there is something wrong though and it's something people can give good advice on if they can see what your diet consists of.

I am going to guess super high carb, with low fat and protein are the problem. Carbs leave you hungry because of sugar spikes. Fake sugar gives the same hunger cues to the brain as regular sugar. it actually makes it worse because your body is expecting the sugar and primes for it but there is nothing there which cues more hunger cravings.

I am not really hungry, I use food and wine as a reward. Most nights it`s fine but I still feel the loss of my go to relax time. It was like an excuse to relax. Otherwise I never take that time. It is a good lesson that I was using food to make me happy instead of appreciating my family (kids) or just really enjoying the t.v. program I`m watching. I guess so many of you don`t have emotional issues with food and are or were overweight because of SAD, (standard american diet)

Yes, I need to lose only 20 lbs. I live in Japan and cook almost all of my food at home. I rarely eat out and exercise regularly. I very rarely eat processed foods. I got very overweight from pregnancy, years ago now. But have technically been overweight since college. I used to log everything but when you use a lot of different veg and stir fry sauces it can be sooo tedious. I always make sure I am as close as possible and err on the side of over. I was eating too much to lose before, but I was very good at maintaining. I also got confused as to my TDEE from trying the EMTWL method. I was too naive to understand how very bad my math was and that I needed a simpler approach. I tried eat more to weigh less but I was already eating too much. So I gained only on MFP so far. Finally now I am losing but it`s only been a few weeks and I am not confident it will continue. I am sure from so many of your posts that if I only continue I will get the hang of it.

Yes, I do love high calorie foods but have already reduced them. I guess over all advice is to suck it up till I get used to it. Some of you have found a substitute for your previous food love, I just haven`t found mine yet.

I just figured out that MFP calories are gross and not net for calories burned. If I set the correct activity level then eat back my exercise cal, which I did last week I lost less. That must be it for that. The first week I used a pedometer only to log calories, that must have been more accurate for the amount of work done. I`ll do that again next week.

It is so interesting how everyone reacts to a question in different ways. Some are patient and kind and some are dismissive. Whatever, you have your opinion and I asked for advice. Some go for tough love, and some try to explain. I guess this is who they are at home too.

If you can, I'd suggest getting a dog or a hiking buddy to make you go out and hike. Weightlifting is also essential for general exercise but hiking several times/week is where I get my huge calorie burns, and excuses to go eat half a pizza later with a beer and still lose weight :)