Healthy Coffee

Options

Replies

• susanhiding
    susanhiding Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I mostly use flavored coffees for the Keurig. I put in 1-2 tsp of sugar. Right now I'm loving Pumpkin spice, with the sugar it is about 15-30 calories. As long as you are logging things correctly and stay at your calorie allotment you should be fine with however you take your coffee. :)
  • slasharine
    slasharine Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Black coffee, coconut oil, cinnamon. Mmmmmmm!
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I love the Green Mountain Caramel and Vanilla K-cups! I add a little stevia and a splash of skim milk. You can also use sugar free vanilla and sugar free caramel syrups for coffee if you need more flavor.
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    Coffee... Black coffee... Just drink it black... Okay; maybe a tad of fat free or low fat milk. I don't understand why people add sweetener or flavorings though; makes it taste worse; and on that note; what then would be the point of coffee if your just going to adulterate it with garbage; caffeine, maybe; although I can understand if you drink Folgers. What I really don't understand is the people who drink decaf and adulterate it with every coffee additive known to man.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Flavorful espresso with unsweetened vanilla almond milk (steamed or cold milk), sometimes vanilla extract, cinnamon, and/or cocoa powder for flavor.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Powdered coffee creamers have few calories, and I'm an almond milk drinker so I just throw in some sweetened vanilla almond milk. Coffee is a treat for me, so I go nuts. :P Though if there's more coffee left over than I thought I would have, I just add the almond milk. Makes it only around 40 calories.
  • keegalie
    Options
    BUTTER in coffee???? Is that a thing or are those people joking? haha

I just add a bit of skim milk to my coffee, perfect for me :)
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Nope, no joke, and it's pretty good.
  • Cass0422
    Cass0422 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I drink flavored coffee with one packet of Sweet n Low.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Butter and cream aren't very different. But yes, many people do clarified butter and coconut oil. I haven't tried it but it is a thing and apparently good.

OP -
    I also did a 30 day challenge and just did the black coffee thing. I simply just gave up adding stuff to the coffee. It did take some time, but not long. I have long since left behind the 30 day challenge but still drink black coffee. It took a bit to get used to but once I was, I can't go back. It also helps to drink good coffee. I have invested (not really, its cheap) in a coffee press.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    BLACK COFFEE. However, I'll also treat myself to a skinny mocha from Starbucks now and again (14g protein for 140kcals...I feel I can justify it!). Try cutting down to skimmed milk. I posted about sugar free syrup with a link but I reread and you don't like it :( never mind
  • suerop
    suerop Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    One trick to good tasting coffee is to make sure your coffee brewer is clean, The build up of stuff can make a good coffee get bitter. Also, try a flavored coffee. There are lots out there. I like hazelnut, but during the fall season I enjoy the pumpkin spice flavor. I use the little single serving coffee creamer pods. The few calories in them is just something I add in to my daily calories. Don't deprive yourself of everything you really enjoy. You will be less likely to stay on that kind of food plan. Portions can be adjusted, so just figure everything into your plan. Good luck!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,912 Member
    Options
    Coffee... Black coffee... Just drink it black... Okay; maybe a tad of fat free or low fat milk. I don't understand why people add sweetener or flavorings though; makes it taste worse; and on that note; what then would be the point of coffee if your just going to adulterate it with garbage; caffeine, maybe; although I can understand if you drink Folgers. What I really don't understand is the people who drink decaf and adulterate it with every coffee additive known to man.
    I feel the same way about mashed potatoes.......why do people insist on using cream and butter.......makes no sense. :wink:
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I use to use a lot of creamer in my coffee too. I posted a "recipe" for the creamer I use now, which still has creamer in it - but it's nowhere near the sugar I used to drink in my coffee beforehand. I am so used to it this way now, that I cannot drink it with straight creamer now because it doesn't taste good.

http://healthfullygood.com/2013/10/coffee-creamer/

Thanks for this recipe! I will definitely be trying it soon!!! :)
    You're welcome. :)
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee (2 16oz cups) every morning with 2 tsp real sugar and 1 tbsp whole milk for a whopping 44 calories/cup. If I substitute Coffee Mate creamer for the milk, it's 70 calories. So that's 95-140 calories/day in coffee.

But I can afford it, b/c I get daily exercise - about 300-500 cals/day. That's a lot of coffee!

ETA: I eat 1440 cals/day but exercise brings that to around 1700-1900 daily calories.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I put protein powder, vanilla syrup and almond milk in my coffee.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I drink flavored coffee with a splash of 1% or 2% milk and really like it. I usually add a packet of artificial sweetener to mine, but can get by easily w/ just the milk when it is a flavored coffee. So I think you are on the right track.

Are you planning to use sweetened almond milk? That sounds so good! I love vanilla almond milk but have never thought to put it in my coffee. When we buy it, my husband and I both end up drinking it way too fast for a snack here and there 'til it is gone ;-)
  • Steveburg123
    Options
    I would suggest you not to take espresso coffee for the time being. Try to concentrate on black coffee with little amount of milk on it. Though it may taste horrible but it won't help to gain calories or weight. But you can add some flavoring to make it taste better.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,106 Member
    Options
    My personal suggestion is learn to drink it black with nothing to sweeten it up. It will taste bad for the first while, probably a week or so, and then you will start to find you can enjoy the taste of the actual coffee and not the syrups and cream.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    My current coffee addiction - a really strong Puerto Rican coffee with a nice healthy splash of chocolate muscle milk. Works out to 66 calories, 2 grams of fat, 7 grams of protein. And it's delicious!