Smoothie FAILURE

124»

Replies

• apples don't make for good smoothies i've learned...

This morning i had protein powder, milk, strawberries and a banana. No problems. Seriously, it was that easy:

1 cup strawberries
    1banana
    1 serving protein powder - I got a free thing on Tosi and it's gluten free, as I'm also gluten intolerant
    1/2 cup milk

Also - not all oats are gluten free, but i'm sure you know that. I don't like adding oats into my shake anyways.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    1 cup frozen blueberries
    1 banana
    1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
    1/2 cup pineapple juice (or 1/4 cup each of pineapple juice and coconut water)

Pretty much the only smoothie I make. It's delicious.
  • Colombianchick29
    Colombianchick29 Posts: 298 Member
    i make one every day for myself and kids
    almond milk
    spinach
    chia seeds
    banana
    and i add ovaltine chocolate mix for my kids ( better than quick) for "better" flavor.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    I've never put oatmeal in my smoothies. That does sound horrible.

My favorite smoothie is:
    1 cup (8oz) nonfat greek yogurt, plain
    1 cup (8oz) carrot juice
    1/2-1 banana
    1 cup frozen berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries or a combo)
    1 teaspoon fresh or chopped ginger

Fresh, sweet and delicious.
  • seren1ty74
    seren1ty74 Posts: 171 Member
    2 cups almond or coconut milk
    1 cup frozen fruit
    2 scoops protein powder

blend.
    drink.
    live.
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Haha that's kind of funny but kind of sad... sorry to hear about your smoothie fail.

I noticed apples usually don't work out too well because they never get perfectly smooth. I haven't tried oats yet either. Maybe go for failsafe soft stuff first - banana, mango, very ripe pears, berries.
  • Green smoothies are yum! I don't have certain amounts but I have a fav!

Spinach, Mango, pineapple, orange juice. If your fruit is frozen you won't need to add any ice for this one!
  • bump for the recipes :)
  • lynda_d
    lynda_d Posts: 1 Member
    Just made this one.. Was so good.... Grated 2 carrots , 1 cup almond milk , grated inch size piece of ginger ,1 tbs chia seeds 1 activia light vanilla & like 6 cubes of ice
  • jellybean482004
    jellybean482004 Posts: 21 Member
    I use 3/4 cup greek yogurt , 6 ozs almond milk, 1 scoop protein powder ( vanilla/chocolate), and frozen strawberries...Blend!
  • chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Bump- all looks good!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    hmmm maybe there were too many oats or something?

i like plain greek yogurt, coconut milk, ice cubes, bananas, blueberries and berry protein powder. i have never tried a smoothie with oats but i eat oatmeal almost every day for breakfast
  • persilcolours
    persilcolours Posts: 92 Member
    Bump
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Skip .. broccoli, pears and apples. They all suck in smoothies, especially the broccoli.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    maybe because there wasn't anything to thin it out like water, ice cubes or milk and it could have been too overpowering with the oats. was it the texture or just the taste?
  • kurziemom
    kurziemom Posts: 2 Member
    yogurt, frozen fruit and a few ice cubes. you can add protein powder if you want.
    alternatively, you can use rice or almond milk in place of yogurt if you are lactose sensitive.
    i also add a tablespoon of chia seeds and flax meal for additional fiber
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    I do a banana, 20g oats, 45g protein isolate and 1tbsp of all natural peanut butter if I have fats left.

Carbs-44g
    Protein-53g
    Fat-9.5g
    Fiber-6.2g
    Sugar-15.9g
  • maybe because there wasn't anything to thin it out like water, ice cubes or milk and it could have been too overpowering with the oats. was it the texture or just the taste?

Taste :/
    Skip .. broccoli, pears and apples. They all suck in smoothies, especially the broccoli.

nice tip :flowerforyou:
    I do a banana, 20g oats, 45g protein isolate and 1tbsp of all natural peanut butter if I have fats left.

Carbs-44g
    Protein-53g
    Fat-9.5g
    Fiber-6.2g
    Sugar-15.9g

I don't think I'm ever gonna do smoothies with oats again... only with fruit and milk or yogurt I think :happy: thanks anyway
  • I use 1/2 to 1 cup Almond milk, a small container of GOOD greek yogurt like Fage (good sourse of protien) and about 1 1/2 cups frozen berries and bananas mixed. Being frozen helps thicken and the bananas also help thicken it up. If you need it a little bit sweeter, use a bit of honey. I use Agave necture and if you need it thinner, splash a bit more Almond milk in it. The frozen fruit is what I like. I buy seasonal then freeze them for when I need them in the non-seasonal/colder months.
  • liv0512
    liv0512 Posts: 31 Member
    I am too lazy so I use yoghurt, any type fruit so strawberries, blackberries, banana pick your fav. then add milk.. I am not one for weird smoothies just want ones where I dont need buy hundred weird ingredients and not like the taste. I like simple smoothies so far have not had one I didnt like.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    I make a peanutbutter banana smoothie and I use oats. I blend them first until they are a powder, then I add the bananas, peanutbutter and almond milk. It's pretty good!
  • xoeva
    xoeva Posts: 209 Member
    I love smoothies and eat them regularly.
    My favourite ones:
    Orange juice or milk and half - whole banana and a handful of strawberries...honey if you like. Ad Wheat germ

Or 2 cups of spinach, 3/4 cup Greek yogurt, half a banana, strawberries and honey if you like...

or 1 cup of milk, 1 banana 1 Tablespoon of light peanut butter....

Do you have a 'good' blender? If the blender doesn't mix things well then it could be the reason why the smoothie tastes awful.
  • janet6567
    janet6567 Posts: 129 Member
    I use soy protein powder, frozen fruit, low fat yogurt, and low fat milk. It's like a milkshake!
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Posting to come back and see the awesome recipes!
  • Hi

I use oats in my morning smoothie too but I blitz them into a fine powder first with a handful of mixed seeds using the milling attachment on my nutriblend. I then add half a cup of frozen mixed berries, a banana, half cup of soy yogurt and soy milk or water to loosen. I have just started experimenting by adding a nutrient powder such as Maca or Wheatgrass, I can honestly say the smoothies are lovely. I have some spirulina powder to try, not enthusiastic though as I hear it truly tastes like pond water...keep experimenting, great way to start the day.
    I have a great book of recipes for the nutriblend so if you fancy a particular smoothie or want to address a particular issue, let me know and I will see what they advise.

God luck x