Do you feel like exercising during your period???

Options

Replies

• cfriend71
    cfriend71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My straight up answer. NO. I don't even try, I feel so horrible & fatigued for those few days, I just give my body a break and then resume when I feel better.
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Nope but I make myself anyways. Always feel so much better after :)
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    We all have different TOMs.
    I started yesterday morning, cramps and bloating...the whole nine yards.
    I also started week three of Insanity, skipping a day or two would seriously mess up my week.
    And graces be! Doing the workout made me feel 100 times better.

I suggest, as many doctors do as well, that you not change your activity level just because you're having your TOM. In fact, most doctors will instruct you to move more because it helps to alleviate cramps.

My two cents, naturally, but I don't put anything else in my life on hold because it's my period why should my health suffer?
  • coolclimates
    Options
    I don't usually feel like exercising at all during my period, particularly the first few days. In the past, I've almost never exercised when I'm on my period but now I'm trying to at least do it on days when the flow is lighter and the cramps aren't so bad. On days when I have bad cramps and heavy flow, I don't bother. It's awful enough just being on your period and it's a way of trying to reward myself and take it easy for a few days. I do also get very tired during my period, again, especially the first few days. I just feel like I have no energy at all and sometimes take long naps.
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have horrid cramps for a day and then a day so heavy I spend most of it on the toilet changing. I just try to time my rest day(s) around then so I don't miss out on too much exercise.
  • anthakingston
    Options
    I definitely don't do intense workouts during my period because I get really sick. I'll do something like cycling, walking, or yoga. Everybody is different though! If you really want to exercise, do something light and see how you feel.

Also, if you're the type to "gain weight" during your period, drink more water. You appear to gain weight during your cycle because the body gets dehydrated very easily during this time. You're holding onto water weight. The more you drink, the less you retain. So do something light if you're feeling up to it, and drink lots of water. Don't let the slightly higher number on the scale guilt you into something you don't feel up to.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Urrghh no...but if I do make myself get out there/across to the gym, I usually feel so much better for it.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I modify my workout since my flow is super heavy, if it's a leg day I switch to arms. I will not squat on my period too messy :)
  • whisperwhitley
    Options
    On my period I'm the laziest person on the planet. I don't worry so much about working out, I just lay in bed. Fortunately I also don't eat much on my period ( weird right?)
  • donthesitate
    donthesitate Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You will not always feel like working out...but do it anyway.

This, ive only missed 2 workout days bcuz I had a fever, before I knew about the fever and just felt sick I worked out anyway
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    No I don't feel like it, but I do.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    If I'm really tired I know its a sign my iron is low but normally carry on as normal. Yesterday I was cramping ( I normally do just before I start) so decided to try a run to see if it helped and I did.

I do sometimes find that I get tired slightly quicker when working out the first few days but it wont stop me.
  • chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    No i dont feel like exercising.. At all!! Especially the first two days!! I sometimes take those off. I also do karate and the idea of a red stain on white clothing is petrifying!!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Go! You will feel better :)
  • mandygivens
    mandygivens Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do exercise during my period, just not as high of an intensity. My birth control helps with keeping me light at first so I go for good hard workouts... but once it starts picking up, I tone it down. Today I did a run (Thank God it was at home on the treadmill) Cause I leaked through and it really put a damper on the rest of my run! I know, TMI- but what are we really talking about here anyways... The harder I work, the heavier my flow- so if I don't want to open the flood gates then I don't work as hard. Just go for a nice long walk every day for the week. Besides- think of how thankful your body will feel for the holiday!
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hell no. But I do it anyway. It makes me feel SO much better afterward.

I agree. I am the same way!
  • KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    This is one time I am glad I workout at home (T25). Those first 2 days I definitely need to change RIGHT before I start my exercise and perhaps add a "safety" liner. I do feel better afterwards even though I never have quite the same energy level. But I won't let it mess up my schedule.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I still get in some type of a workout. For me it's a slippery slope. I started today, went and did a Zumba class and ended up feeling the full force of cramps. Plus did some turbo fire later on, this is now my time to rest.
  • liv0512
    liv0512 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I dont exercise during period due to the heaviness of period and cramping. I try to take it easy during the first 3-4 days after that it usually easies up and I can do light stuff like walking to beach etc
  • Ankida
    Options
    No way. The first 3 days or so the pain is so intense, some times I can not even stand up. I've had gym teachers try to make me work out to make it better back in high school...yeah, didn't even close to work, I ended up blacking out in terrible pain. :(

Even months where it's not that bad, the more I do anything, the worse it gets. How annoying.