Replies

• MzLaLa29
    MzLaLa29 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    not ONLY soup. I would need banana or a serving of crackers
  • VCWildberger
    Options
    [/quote]

"What's the point of calories in if you don't know your calories out? Can't do one with out the other, well you can but it doesn't make sense since there isn't anything to compare it too. Also you need to eat back at least part of your calories if you are only using MFP's method."
    [/quote]

Why do I need to eat back some or all or any of my calories out? I find when I do that I see no results I just mantain the same weight. One thing I have learned is that the number of different methods to loss weight and to get healthy is countless. so everyone has to make a plan that works just for them. I pull tools together from many many different sources.
  • Cherp18
    Cherp18 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm taking some for lunch today!

Yum :smile:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Calories out is not JUST your exercise calories though, it'll be all the energy you use each day, just from getting out of bed, moving around etc.

There's a continual debate over eating back your exercise calories, and it is NOT compulsory to do so. But do make sure you're not habitually eating way belowe your basic calorie requirement, either.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    During the cold months I make homemade soups in the crock pot. They are very filling, and not as high in sodium, and so simple to make. I do a vegetable beef, chicken chowder, chicken tortilla, broccoli cheddar, 2 different kinds of bean soups and chilli. The trick is making sure that you know exactly what is going in, and adding filling protiens.

The only one that I fix that is a little high in calories and fat is the broccoli cheddar, but I add chicken or ham to it as well, and 1 cup fills me up for quite some time, I also make sure that I have extra fruits and veggies to snack on along with it.
  • VCWildberger
    Options
    Calories out is not JUST your exercise calories though, it'll be all the energy you use each day, just from getting out of bed, moving around etc.

There's a continual debate over eating back your exercise calories, and it is NOT compulsory to do so. But do make sure you're not habitually eating way belowe your basic calorie requirement, either.

Thank you and I can assure you I am eatting calories I do not believe in 12,00 or less as I know some people like/feels that, that helps them.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

"What's the point of calories in if you don't know your calories out? Can't do one with out the other, well you can but it doesn't make sense since there isn't anything to compare it too. Also you need to eat back at least part of your calories if you are only using MFP's method."
    [/quote]

Why do I need to eat back some or all or any of my calories out? I find when I do that I see no results I just mantain the same weight. One thing I have learned is that the number of different methods to loss weight and to get healthy is countless. so everyone has to make a plan that works just for them. I pull tools together from many many different sources.
    [/quote]

I said if you are using the MFP method you need to eat back your exercise calories, if you are using a different method like TDE - 20 then you don't need to it is already calculated in, which means you are eating them back, and it also means you are doing calories in vs calories out.
  • Wrxsti23
    Options
    I eat soup EVERYDAY for lunch and love it. I never get sick of it because I truly like it. I make a big batch on Sunday for the week and the flavors get better with time. It also only costs me like less than $8 and I get lunches for every day of the week. I use celery, carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic, tomato sauce, chicken broth, water, pepper and each serving for me is about 3 cups for about 150 calories. It's really filling and I like that it allows me to eat more calories throughout the day.
  • VCWildberger
    Options
    but im not doing TDE - 20

I input the info in MFP they give me a cal # and I workout input that but don't eat them back for when I do I dont loss I stay the same
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out, doesn't matter what you eat.

Liquid calories won't fill you up as much so don't know why you'd do that to yourself, however it's your body.

I see this thinking from guys a lot. They don't consider soup a 'real meal'. The only soup my hubby likes is potato soup with ham. And the thicker the better. It is basically mashed potatoes with ham and boiled eggs in it. With cheese and bacon on top. Not exactly healthy.

I love soup, I just don't see soup as something filling, more a starter to an actual meal. Each to their own though!
  • rosemary98
    Options
    health valley organic soups....no salt added. They also have reduced salt...but even reduced salt is a lot of salt.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I love eating the progresso light soups for lunch. On weekends I'll add a sandwich too but while at work I'll have just the soup, as long as I have my 2-3 snacks in between I stay full all day. I have naturally low blood pressure and drink at least 64oz water a day so I don't worry about sodium at all. If you can prep and make your own soups and lunches that's great but if prep is something you struggle with like I do, soups and Smart Ones/Lean Cuisines are great options.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    but im not doing TDE - 20

I input the info in MFP they give me a cal # and I workout input that but don't eat them back for when I do I dont loss I stay the same

So you don't put tools together from many different sources? It's getting tough to follow with all the changes in your answers. If whatever you are doing is working you should stick with it.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Liquid calories won't fill you up as much so don't know why you'd do that to yourself, however it's your body.

lol its soup, not juice.

I used to often have soup for lunch every day, I would have it with a bread roll and some fruit, and then a big dinner when I got home. I think its a great low calorie lunch and you can have so many different varieties. My favourite is butternut soup :)

"Soup is a primarily liquid food, generally served warm"

Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soup
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure which ads those are, but my usual lunch is soup. I make a big batch of soup at weekends out of whatever vegetables I have. I'll add lots of herbs and spices, mayeb a tin of tomaotes, maybe a tin of beans (any kind) which makes it more chunky and substantial.

I'm also very partial to miso soup at lunctimes, which is less than 50 calories.

Other tinned and pouch soups are fine, but you have to read the labels carefully to see the nutritional values.

Exactly that.

It's rubbish when people say "soups are high in sodium", "soups aren't filling"...

When you make your own soups YOU determine what goes in them and how thick they are.

I make a lovely chicken & veg soup, blend it into quite a thick consistency and it's healthy, filling, nutritious and relatively low cal.
  • smelons
    smelons Posts: 450 Member
    Options

lol its soup, not juice.

I used to often have soup for lunch every day, I would have it with a bread roll and some fruit, and then a big dinner when I got home. I think its a great low calorie lunch and you can have so many different varieties. My favourite is butternut soup :)

"Soup is a primarily liquid food, generally served warm"

Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soup

I saw a TV programme a few years ago where they carried out an experiment. One group of people ate a solid meal of chicken and vegetables with a glass of water and another group had the same meal, but combined and liquidised. The group who ate the liquidised meal were fuller for longer. See here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/humanbody/truthaboutfood/slim/soup.shtml
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    not sure someone mentioned it before, but on the BBC's 'how to be slim' program they did a test of where they came to the conclusion that soup ( compared to a solid meal plus glass of water of equal calories) kept you full for longer. I love soup :-)
  • smelons
    smelons Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    not sure someone mentioned it before, but on the BBC's 'how to be slim' program they did a test of where they came to the conclusion that soup ( compared to a solid meal plus glass of water of equal calories) kept you full for longer. I love soup :-)

How weird - we posted at exactly the same time about the same thing!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i have soup for supper (usually with a grilled cheese or salad or something else) for dinner most nights in the winter. make a big pot once a week, freeze some in portions

depending on the soup it could be a meal or it could be a filler - soup with beans or lentils or chicken/meat are quite filling, soup with just vegetables - not so much.

and if you like to cook - then make your own stock and freeze, i do this all the time, make a very concentrated stock (so it doesn't take up much room in the freezer) and use that to flavor my soup, plus herbs etc.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Soup is absolutely a meal if you choose it to be. It's not 'just' soup. The 'starter, main course, dessert' school of thought just helps restaurants and supermarkets make more money! :wink: