Bulking and BF %

Options
Right, so I decided to bulk up a little eating so much more than I usually do, and from my usual 6% BF I went to 10.4% with only couple kg increase in weight. Don't really like it. I kinda quit doing cardio, when I used to do it everyday. How do you guys do it when bulking up? My daily calorie intake for gym days is like 4100 cals and I hardly reach 3500 so if I would start doing cardio I reckon my hardly gained weight would drop pretty fast, but I would reach low BF again :D Feeling so demotivated with this bulking up thing...

Replies

• 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    What's your tdee?? You really only need to eat 500 cals over your tdee for bulking or you will gain a majority of your weight in fat.
  • minuz5
    minuz5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    What's your tdee?? You really only need to eat 500 cals over your tdee for bulking or you will gain a majority of your weight in fat.
    it's 3500ish
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you may be over estimating your TDEE..if your gaining too much too fast on a bulk, taper down your calories until you are satisfied with the rate of gain. The average is .5-1lb per week. I know when I started my bulk I jumped up about 13lbs the first 2 weeks (glycogen/water retention) after that it leveled off but I was still gaining quick so I knocked my cals down some more. I was over estimating.
  • minuz5
    Options
    What about cardio and body fat increase? What would you consider fair fat gain on bulking?
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    What about cardio and body fat increase? What would you consider fair fat gain on bulking?

Depends on how "clean" you bulk. The smaller the surplus, the less fat you'll gain, but also the slower you'll gain muscle also. If you have a lot of time, I'd suggest doing a slow bulk to minimize fat gain. If not, then bulk dirty and do a cut.
  • minuz5
    Options

Depends on how "clean" you bulk. The smaller the surplus, the less fat you'll gain, but also the slower you'll gain muscle also. If you have a lot of time, I'd suggest doing a slow bulk to minimize fat gain. If not, then bulk dirty and do a cut.

So far muscle gain compare to fat increase is quite low. :/
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    How long do you maintain 6% BF for?
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

How much do you weigh and how many grams of protein are you getting? Adequate protein is essential for muscle growth. Also, what is your lifting routine?
  • minuz5
    Options
    How long do you maintain 6% BF for?

Had it for like 4 months while doing cardio for like 5days a week.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You are probably seeing a big increase in water and bloating right now.

But I agree 3500 seems likes a really high TDEE. What happens when you eat at 3500? You should be aiming for about a pound gained per week.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    What are your ratios like? carbs/pro/fat? In percents
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    6% is lean as ****. Maintaining 10% is a challenge for me.

Anyways, your BF will go up. You just need to get used to it.
  • minuz5
    Options

How much do you weigh and how many grams of protein are you getting? Adequate protein is essential for muscle growth. Also, what is your lifting routine?

188lbs and I consume over 220g of protein. Usually lift like 5-6days a week
  • minuz5
    Options

50carb 30prot 20fat, alright, I recalculated the tree with a different calculator. It's 3000ish + 500surplus would be what I should consume, but, during a day I would burn almost the same amount of calories, so I still need to add more to what I have...
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Right, so I decided to bulk up a little eating so much more than I usually do, and from my usual 6% BF I went to 10.4% with only couple kg increase in weight. Don't really like it. I kinda quit doing cardio, when I used to do it everyday. How do you guys do it when bulking up? My daily calorie intake for gym days is like 4100 cals and I hardly reach 3500 so if I would start doing cardio I reckon my hardly gained weight would drop pretty fast, but I would reach low BF again :D Feeling so demotivated with this bulking up thing...

Your "usual" 6% BF?

You're either a troll or severely under-educated.
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options

50carb 30prot 20fat, alright, I recalculated the tree with a different calculator. It's 3000ish + 500surplus would be what I should consume, but, during a day I would burn almost the same amount of calories, so I still need to add more to what I have...

I would highly recommend that you readjust your ratios to 50%protein,30%carbs,20% fat.Especially if you are trying to bulk up. You want muscle? Right? You need that extra protein for your muscles. When you change your ratios you will also have less trouble with your body fat going up.
  • minuz5
    Options

Your "usual" 6% BF?

You're either a troll or severely under-educated.

Are you going to school me now, how unhealthy is to keep 6% bf? Please save it. I do agree having lower bf % for long periods is dangerous but 6% I consider the line.
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options

I would highly recommend that you readjust your ratios to 50%protein,30%carbs,20% fat.Especially if you are trying to bulk up. You want muscle? Right? You need that extra protein for your muscles. When you change your ratios you will also have less trouble with your body fat going up.

Also have a high carb day once or twice a week with the ratios you are doing now. I know a LOT of body builders who follow this way of bulking up and they look awesome!!
  • minuz5
    Options

Also have a high carb day once or twice a week with the ratios you are doing now. I know a LOT of body builders who follow this way of bulking up and they look awesome!!

If I would switch to eating 50% protein over carbs I really doubt I could stomach my tdee calorie intake. :/
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    There should be a requirement to provide methodology whenever someone mentions bodyfat %.

Assuming the OP is accurate in his BF assessment, 184 and 6% to 188 and 10.4% would be a loss of LBM and pure fat gain.