Countdown to Thanksgiving--let's do it!

Options
I haven't been home in about a year and am going back for Thanksgiving. I'd love to head back with a healthier body and more confidence, and I know there are others feeling the same way. We roughly have 37 days, so this is basically a one month gig. I know that Thanksgiving is usually an "eat until ungodly full" time of the year for most, but we can overcome that. By committing now, we can focus for the next month and feel fine delighting in some pumpkin pie...but I'm guessing that we'll be feeling amazing and won't want/need the seconds.

So who's with me? Let's weigh-in on Mondays (staying accountable over the weekend) and report the following:

1. Current weight
2. Goal weight for Thanksgiving (shouldn't be too big of a difference since it's just a month but give yourself the goal!)
3. Something you're struggling with
4. Something you're really proud of
5. Your basic plan of action

I'll go ahead and kick it off

1. Current weight: 163 lbs.
2. Goal weight for Thanksgiving: 153 lbs. (have water weight to drop, I'm more like 160 but the scale was 163 today)
3. Struggling with: carbs. And I don't mean the healthy veg carbs, I mean the grainy carbs...bread. Too easy to carbo load, need to surround myself with veggies
4. Really proud of: getting up at 6:30am to do my workout. And walked to work with my new Camelbak backpack. Walking home too :)
5. Basic plan: workout every morning (light yoga on off-days), bring breakfast and lunch to work, snack on raw veggies and fruits, cut down the alcohol (ugh, I know), more natural foods and less packaged nonsense, eat when hungry (no binging and no starving), drink lots of water and tea, keep up with MFP to stay focused, and have fun getting healthier!!!

EDIT: And #6, as suggested below me---tell us your Thanksgiving Day plan! Here's mine, which will be pretty different from most I'm guessing since I don't eat meat or dairy (migraine issues). I'm heading back to the rural midwest to visit family and it'll be difficult to find traditional Thanksgiving foods that I can actually eat. So my plan is to make or buy a vegan pumpkin pie here in DC before heading home (road trip!) and then bring lots of healthy recipes with me. I'll help my mom and family cook the turkey and all that, but will take a few hours to make some delicious foods that I can eat too! And since I'm going to 2 Thanksgiving "dinners," I'll keep it light at both and be sure to get rid of my leftovers!

Replies

• rdy2lose
    rdy2lose Posts: 106
    Options
    I think it would be a good idea to make a plan for Thanksgiving day as well so we don't undo everything we do in the next 37 days.

current weight: to embarressed to say
    goal weight for Thanksgiving: 8 lbs (less than 2 lbs a week)
    struggle: weekends and from 5 until dinner time
    proud of: workouts, I have been exercising 5 to 7 days a week. An increase from only 2 days.
    Plan of action: light lunch with a salad, salad before meal at dinner, continue to increase water intake.
    Plan for Thanksgiving day: Avoid the appetizers, only eat those appetizers that are veggies. drink a lot of water. chose only my favs for dinner. 2 ravs, little turkey, little stuffing and small slice of pumpkin pie - NO crust opps and salad first.
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    I've been on MFP for about a month,, and I'm really struggling. I've lost roughly 3lbs but I've been going up and down and binging on weekends something fierce. I want to keep myself accountable not for Thanksgiving... but because the day after, I'm leaving for the Caribbean! I want to impress my boyfriend with a bikini! ;)

1. Current weight: 151 (with water weight to lose)
    2. Goal weight for Thanksgiving: Ideally... 140. Okay, maybe just 145! :D
    3. Something you're struggling with: Drinking and overeating on weekends, especially with all the Halloween parties!
    4. Something you're really proud of: Going to the gym more often than I used to.
    5. Your basic plan of action: Starting the 30 Day Shred and using it every morning through T-Day. Supplementing with 2-3 workouts at the gym each week. Cutting back on drinking (Agreed - ugh!) and planning out my meals for the week so I don't resort to buying lunch and ordering pizza for dinner.

I'll be back to weigh in on Monday, but can we check in more often? I tend to forget if it's only once a week... I'd also love to friend anyone else doing this challenge so we can keep each other accountable.

Good luck everyone!
  • mjs1940
    mjs1940 Posts: 12
    Options
    It sounds like you have the right idea my friend. Let's do it.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    I'm 5' 7.5"

1. Current weight: 162.5
    2. Goal weight for Thanksgiving: 155
    3. Something you're struggling with: pms
    4. Something you're really proud of: losing 40 pounds at age 33, taking up mountain bike riding and taking a road trip w/my family...we rode over two summits, 2 nights of camping, 3 days of riding from the Sacramento Valley to the Eureka Coast :D
    5. Your basic plan of action: Keep doing what I'm doing. Eat 1400 calories a day/1 day 1800/3 days riding 8 miles/4 miles uphill/3 4 mile walks/3 days strength training to begin with. I'll continue with this until I hit a 10 day plateau. Then I will add another walk or 2...total of 5 walks a week...until I hit a 10 plateau, then I will add 2 days of pilates...continue until I hit another 10 day plateau, then, start cutting 50 calories a day for a week because that is my maximum exercise routine and I'm not going below 1200 calories a day. It really bugs me that many think it's ok to starve themselves on 800-1000 calories a day. That is just wrong!
  • DC_Veg
    DC_Veg Posts: 12
    Options
    cdietrich418: Word, I like the Thanksgiving Day plan! Here's mine, which will be pretty different from most I'm guessing since I don't eat meat or dairy (migraine issues). I'm heading back to the rural midwest to visit family and it'll be difficult to find traditoinal Thanksgiving foods that I can actually eat. So my plan is to make or buy a vegan pumpkin pie here in DC before heading home (road trip!) and then bring lots of healthy recipes with me. I'll help my mom and family cook the turkey and all that, but will take a few hours to make some delicious foods that I can eat too! And since I'm going to 2 Thanksgiving "dinners," I'll keep it light at both and be sure to get rid of my leftovers!

orange_avocado: Definitely, we can check in daily even! I'm hoping to be on here a lot so that I stay focused, but only weigh in once a week. Feel free to weight yourself throughout the week, but just report on Mondays. But I'll be here every day probably :)

mjs: Glad to have you aboard!

funnygirl: looks like we have very similar weight goals, and I'm 100% with you on the frustration over people starving themselves. Gotta fuel our awesome bodies so that we can keep moving and fuel our brains with the right nutrition :D
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I would love to participate in this challenge. I think its a good idea to get our bodies prepared from whats to come and to help us make good decisions when we're standing in front of massive amounts of foods that day.

1. Current Weight: 169
    2. Goal Weight: 160-163
    3. Something you're struggling with: I am stuggling with getting up early in the mornings. I would like to start getting my breakfast in earlier instead of around 8:30-9:00. I am also struggling with getting 8 glasses of water in a day.
    4. Something you're proud of: I am proud of the fact that I have begun this weight loss journey and have continued for as long as I have. I have tried to lose weight so many times before but gave up so easily because I never saw results fast enough.
    5. My plan of action: Drink 4 glasses of water before 9 a.m. 2 of them being before I eat breakfast. And start getting up at 7:30 the latest!!

Feel free to friend me if you are participating in this challenge as well! We need all the support and motivation we can get!
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    I'm 5' 7.5" how tall are you DC? and are you the white chick or the black chick in your profile? :D African American women can lose faster than us white girls.... :(
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I'm in:

Current weight: 181
    Goal weight for Thanksgiving: 173
    Something I struggle with: exercising
    Something I'm really proud of: losing 6 lbs since September
    Basic plan of action: sticking to the 1200 calories I'm allowed.
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    I'm game....

1. Current weight: 178.5
    2. Goal weight for Thanksgiving: 170
    3. Something you're struggling with: getting below 176 (175 is my half way mark and I keep getting to 176 then back to 178)
    4. Something you're really proud of: RUNNING a complete mile without stopping in less then 12min.
    5. Your basic plan of action: Sticking to my doctor's plan for me, which consists of eating a certain amount of servings from each food group.

And since we're looking forward to Thanksgiving here's a blog entry from someone who's lost 100lbs about how she makes Tday Dinner.
    http://escapefromobesity.blogspot.com/2007/11/recipe-for-thanksgiving-success.html
  • DC_Veg
    Options
    mrsgomez: Glad to have you! When water gets boring some days, I make a hot tea at work and then 30 minutes later I pour it over a huge glass of ice. Bam, iced tea!

funnygirl: I'm 5'4" and I'm the white girl. I'm jealous of the 3.5" you have on me! :)

lbirch: Welcome! And congrats on your 6 pounds!

jenks: Thanks for the blog on Thanksgiving success, very appropriate for the thread!
  • rcrews4
    rcrews4 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Count me in! This is just what I need to get a jump start into a new healthier routine!

1. Current weight: 205
    2. Goal weight for Thanksgiving: 190
    3. Something you're struggling with: weekend eating and drinking!
    4. Something you're really proud of: working out this morning!
    5. Your basic plan of action: south beach phase 1 plan for the next few weeks, continuing to work out every morning

Thanks and good luck to everyone!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I would like to join too.

1. Current weight: 179 (as of Friday 10/22) I usually weigh in on Fridays and Monday but I am taking today off from the gym as I have worked out 8 days straight and I weigh in at the gym
    2. Goal weight for Thanksgiving: 165
    3. Something you're struggling with: baked goods and sweets, just the last week or so the cravings have been horrible and I have been giving in too much.
    4. Something you're really proud of: weighed in with my trainer on friday, since Feb when I started working with her I am down 63lbs, 36 inchs and 16.27% body fat.
    5. Your basic plan of action: up my intenstity of my work outs (been averaging a heart rate of 133 per work out would like to get that up to 140) and stop giving into my sweet tooth.

Oh and 6. I am heading to Hilton Head for Thanksgiving so I am hoping to get some running on the beach in as my exercise since I won't be at home. My down fall isn't the dinner it's self it is the nibbling on the snacks that are usually around so I will try to make one plate and that is it.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I'm going "home" for Thanksgiving too. Love your suggestions and I'd love to join in.

1. Current Weight: I've lost 43 pounds. Size 14.
    2. Goal Weight: 8 more for Thanksgiving. Size 12.
    3. Something you're struggling with: I was losing a consistent 2 pounds a week until the last few months. Now it's a .5 or so a week. It has been frustrating. 2 pounds a week made all the effort so worthwhile. I am struggling with motivation.
    4. Something you're proud of: I am proud that I have lost so much weight. I didn't think I could do it. I have been trying for the last 6 years to get this weight off and get back to the "real" me. When I started I just hoped to get into a regular size 16 and out of plus sizes. Now I'm in a size 14 and closer to a size 12.
    5. My plan of action: Have an arsenal of good low cal snacks in the fridge. Hard boiled eggs, veggies and fruit. I have increased my walks to 1 hour a day. So to stay with that and add more work on the abs and torso area.

Thanksgiving day plan: It will be a traditional dinner made with lots of butter. Since I'll be helping to cook I'll need to avoid trying things as I cook. I'll make sure there is at least one veggie dish or salad that isn't laden with butter or dressing that I can eat a lot of. I'll eat everything in moderation and stick to 1200-1500 calories. Biggest thing will be to avoid the pre-dinner snacks. I will have a long walk on the beach before dinner.

Last time I went home to visit it completely blew my weight loss and I ended up falling off the wagon and gaining it all back. Family pressures and whatever else derailed all my good intentions. I am working hard to prepare myself so that I can and will stay on track no matter what comes my way! I'll have my phone ap which I think will help. Also plan on getting lots of walking in.
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    1. Current weight - 161.6 pounds
    2. Goal weight for Thanksgiving - 155 pounds
    3. Something you're struggling with - late night eating! I do amazing during the day, but I always feel hungry after dinner and once I eat one bad thing, I kind of think I ruined the whole day, so I just keep eating. I keep sabotaging myself :[
    4. Something you're really proud of - i get all my water in everyday. and I have SO much more self confidence since losing weight. I've lost around 60 pounds so far, but now that I only have around 20 left, I feel like I don't deserve to be thin. These last 20 pounds are so much harder lose, grrr.
    5. Your basic plan of action - exercise 6 to 7 days a week. start strength training, and this week I have a goal to burn 3500 calories, so I might continue that for weeks to come.
    6. Thanksgiving Day game plan - eat a good breakfast, snack on veggies till dinner, eat only a little bit of turkey and stick to only veggies as sides. I never really eat too much on Thanksgiving anyways, so I'm not too worried. and we only ever make pumpkin pie for desert, and I don't like pumpkin, so no worries there :P

I'm really looking forward to this challenge :]
  • DC_Veg
    Options
    rcrews: welcome to the group!

rostrum: Feel free to share your trainer's wisdom! :) And congrats, glad to have you here

khk: Congrats on making it this far! It will be hard, but you've already come so far! :D

brittany: Congrats on 60 pounds, that's awesome! I self-sabotage too after I "ruin" the day and then splurge full-on. Having a delicious little nugget of unhealthiness doesn't ruin all the hard work we put in, we need to get over the mental speed bump and we can do it!
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    Wow, this challenge really took off! Congrats to everyone out there with 60- and 40-pound losses already under your belts! It's cool how everyone has so many different approaches and goals during the next 30 days. I can't wait to see us all come out healthier on the other side!

I don't have a Thanksgiving Day strategy, though I'm sure I will splurge a little. That pumpkin pie and green bean casserole are too good to pass up! Will definitely make some healthy sides to contribute, so that I know it's not all butter and fat for the entire meal. I'm having two Thanksgivings, though, with both my family and the boyfriend's, so I'll have to be extra conscious about what I splurge on and when.

DC & Brittany - I self-sabotage as well. Often for the whole weekend, like "oh I drank a bunch on Saturday and went over calories so I might as well eat half a pizza on Sunday since I'm ruined anyway"... oops. Definitely a mental issue, and hope I'm hoping to get past in the next 30 days!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    My trainers wisdom lately seems to be beat me up enough so I don't want to move the next day. Legs still sore from Friday's work out which included weighted squats, exploding lunges, suicide drills, quarter mile on the bike at level 18 (that was the worst) and the chair stance against the wall.

Good luck to everyone and orange_avocado really good luck with the 2 Thanksgivings.
  • bmoliv66
    bmoliv66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm in...

1. 261
    2. 252
    3. Drinking and bad food decisions with the guys late night weekends
    4. I haven't had a soda in about 4 weeks... well haven't really had anything other than water, skim milk and a cup of orange just here or there.
    5. Keep my water intake consistent, be more active on "off" days, make better decisions after midnight on weekends lol.
  • monkeyfood
    Options
    I love this idea :) Count me in.

1. Current weight (as of today.. )220.9
    2. Goal weight for Thanksgiving (shouldn't be too big of a difference since it's just a month but give yourself the goal!) 210
    3. Something you're struggling with-- Sugary treats!
    4. Something you're really proud of. That I decided to come back. I was on here a few months ago, quit logging and gained all my weight back that I had lost :(
    5. Your basic plan of action--Stay under 1200 calories a day. Limit sugary treats. Exercise 30 minutes a day.
    6. Since my husband's family and my family usually have a big dinner so we end up going to both houses to visit. I plan on eating very little at each house this year instead of binging like I have in past years.
  • jessie819
    Options
    I'm TOTALLY IN!! Thanks to whoever sent me the link :) Also, I totally know how to spell challenge LOL! If anyone would like to add me as a friend please feel free!!

1. Current weight: 286 (ugh)

2. Goal weight: 279

3. Something you're struggling with: binging, no motivation, depression.

4. Something you're really proud of: that when I set my mind to it I am very successful.

5. Your basic plan of action: Stay within my calories, work out at LEAST 3 times a week, get a differnt happy pill cause the one I'm on stinks, lots of fruits/veggies and water.

6. Not sure what the plan for Thanksgiving is yet.