Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

This 1200 calories thing..is getting to me

Options
2»

Replies

• jenmcdav
    Options
    you really, really need to eat back the exercise calories, for sure. it sounds like maybe you aren't right now? 1200 is not a lot of calories. that really is a level that you'll lose a pound a week at sedentary level. but, if you're working out an hour a day, you need more calories. you will still have a deficit and lose, don't worry. i lost 30 lbs using the mfp calorie recommendations, eating back exercise cals.
  • franticfoxx
    franticfoxx Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Last month you were given some excellent advice, and that was to increase your calories. But you're still talking about1200 calories, which means you haven't actually taken the advice and increased. Stop thinking of calories as such a scary thing. The world is not going to end if you eat more than 1200 calories. What does happen though, is you give your body the nutrients it needs and is craving. Give your body more of what it needs and you'll probably see some change. Also, the closer you are to goal, the closer to maintenance calories you should be eating. I *personally* think you're trying to be too aggressive (with your calorie goal) for the amount of weight you want to lose. But certainly start implementing the advice already given.

Thank you
  • snewell05
    Options
    Not sure how or why it works for me, but i am on the 1200 per day too. I find that sometimes (and by sometimes I mean 1 or 2 times every couple of weeks) I will go over my calories and the next day I show that I have lost weight! I did learn one thing while being an avid weight watcher member years ago, you should always eat the minimum recommended. If you consistently stay under, your body will go into starvation mode. It will hold onto any and all excess fat because it is not sure when food souce will come again for energy. Sounds silly but in simple terms, your body unless fed regularly and approx the same caloric intake, might think you are "trapped in a snow storm" and will hold on to all excess weight to save you from starvation. Hopefully this makes sense. I know each person is differnt in their body types and how they lose weight. It was just something I heard and it has stuck with me throughout the many years of my journey. Good luck and I am sure you will find the best solution for you!!!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If food is scary to you, perhaps you should see someone about that, because that is not healthy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    That's why I do TDEE-20%. I want to be able to eat on my days off!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    If food is scary to you, perhaps you should see someone about that, because that is not healthy.

^this

Not having enough food to eat to survive? Scary. Adequate amounts of food should not be scary. Ever.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're getting the same advice.

lol just like to hear more of peoples responses, nothing wrong with that. Don't need any attitudes from anyone.

Favorite kind of poster...

Help me please...

Advice Given

Advice not Taken

Help me please

We gave you advice already????

Don't give me attitude jeez I want advice that I agree with not logical stuff.:laugh: :noway:
  • Shibagurl09
    Options
    Hey I wanted to tell you that I did the 1200 calorie thing for a while too and it worked! I lost a ton of weight! I also work at an all womens dance fitness studio where I live and they do challenges. I participated in our kangoo challenge and they put us on an eating plan. it wasnt terrible and was a set plan. we were eating around 1500-1600 calories a day with 3 workouts a week minimum. Now on days you work out you need to eat more to make up for it but during this 6 week challenge I lost 7 lbs all over. 4 inches on my hips, 2 on my waist and thighs and arms and 3.4% body fat. I totally thought I would gain because of the calories but I didnt, instead I Firmed up and toned. its what you put into your body that is most important. Be aware of how many calories but most importantly focus on what your putting in. I could share this meal plan with you if you like :) good luck and dont be discouraged!! :) eat healthy 80% of the time and give yourself the other 20% to indulge! :)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

lol just like to hear more of peoples responses, nothing wrong with that. Don't need any attitudes from anyone.

OK, here's more response …

Eat more. I am shorter than you and weigh about the same as you. I eat 1600 calories a day and don't gain weight (in fact, when I actually log properly and am really at 1600, I lose weight). I do use the TDEE method, so I eat the same whether or not I exercise, but you could easily eat 1400 on rest days (which your body needs, by the way) and 1600 or so on exercise calories.

You're already in a healthy weight range. You don't need to lose weight, although if you really want to lose a few more pounds you could while staying healthy. But not at a pound a week. When you're in the healthy range, 1/2 pound a week is about the most you can lose in a healthy way (meaning, losing mostly fat and not LBM). But it's even better, at this point, to do something to increase LBM while possibly cutting fat, and maintain your weight.

Eat more. Really, do. You should never eat like a rabbit. (Salads are good, but not if that's all you have all day). If you feel tired and run down, it's a signal that you need a break/rest day from exercise AND that you aren't consuming enough calories. Even if you ate 1800 for a few days, you'd be fine, and probably feel a lot better. If you're terrified that you're going to gain weight if you net even 1200 calories, or if you think that going over once in a while or taking a rest day is bad for you, then there is likely a more serious problem going on.
  • franticfoxx
    Options

Help me please...

Advice Given

Advice not Taken

Help me please

Don't give me attitude jeez I want advice that I agree with not logical stuff.:laugh: :noway:

ROFL why does it bother you so much ?
  • franticfoxx
    Options
    Hey I wanted to tell you that I did the 1200 calorie thing for a while too and it worked! I lost a ton of weight! I also work at an all womens dance fitness studio where I live and they do challenges. I participated in our kangoo challenge and they put us on an eating plan. it wasnt terrible and was a set plan. we were eating around 1500-1600 calories a day with 3 workouts a week minimum. Now on days you work out you need to eat more to make up for it but during this 6 week challenge I lost 7 lbs all over. 4 inches on my hips, 2 on my waist and thighs and arms and 3.4% body fat. I totally thought I would gain because of the calories but I didnt, instead I Firmed up and toned. its what you put into your body that is most important. Be aware of how many calories but most importantly focus on what your putting in. I could share this meal plan with you if you like :) good luck and dont be discouraged!! :) eat healthy 80% of the time and give yourself the other 20% to indulge! :)

Hey , yeah that would be great if you could show me what they recommended.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Help me please...

Advice Given

Advice not Taken

Help me please

Doesn't bother me at all...I think it's freakin' hilarious....as I said you are my favorite kind of poster....leads to hours of entertainment while I am bored...

You're the one that got all huffy with the "don't give me attitude..."
  • franticfoxx
    Options

Help me please...

Advice Given

Advice not Taken

Help me please

Doesn't bother me at all...I think it's freakin' hilarious....as I said you are my favorite kind of poster....leads to hours of entertainment while I am bored...

You're the one that got all huffy with the "don't give me attitude..."

lol HUFFY. naw not "HUFFY"

Have a good day SezzzxyyStef
  • JChiarizio
    Options
    I would say to eat smaller meals more frequently and just make sure they are good choices. I try to have 5-6 small meals a day and make sure I get enough water, that helps keep me full longer.
  • Shibagurl09
    Options

Hey , yeah that would be great if you could show me what they recommended.

Eating Plan

6:30 am
    6 egg whites 102 C
    3/4 cup of oatmeal (measure dry) 120 C
    1/2 cup of blue berries- frozen okay 84 C

9:30 am
    protein 25 g 140 C
    Mixed 1cup Unsweetened Almond Milk 30 c

12:30 pm
    5 oz chicken breast 142 C 1 cup brown rice long grain 216 C
    3oz green beans 27 C

3:30 pm
    Protein 25 g 140 C
    Unsweetened Almond milk 1 cup 30 C

6:30pm
    6oz ground turkey breast 290 C
    8 0z red potato 200 C
    3 Oz asparagus 15 C

9:30 pm
    Protein 25 g
    Unsweetened Almond milk 30 C
    1 tablespoon natural peanut butter

So this was the first two weeks of the meal plan. I did not eat the egg whites but did the oatmeal. as the weeks progressed she would switch things out for us like salmon ot tilapia for dinner, then a salad with chicken, avocados, veggies and a light balsalmic dressing. The Key is not adding a ton of extra salt and sugar. Protein is also important!! Also for the oatmeal I added raw honey and cinnamon for taste :)