Double Standard

Options

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I am reading "mildly attractive" as "wildly attractive" fyi
    You took that very well. I was angry when I read it and it wasn't even about me!

Meh I am pretty secure with my physical appearance. I have only ever had one person tell me I looked "abnormal" so that is pretty good right?

Did you get really excited and thank them for noticing? Live sarcasm can be entertaining...for yourself anyway.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    You took that very well. I was angry when I read it and it wasn't even about me!

Meh I am pretty secure with my physical appearance. I have only ever had one person tell me I looked "abnormal" so that is pretty good right?

Did you get really excited and thank them for noticing? Live sarcasm can be entertaining...for yourself anyway.

I was about 14 when that happened so no I probably cried. If someone said that to me now though, I would have some fun with it
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    The difference is in most* cases (not all but most) a guy can do a lot more damage to a girl than a girl can do to a guy. Guy's are just bigger and stronger, that's just biology. Don't get me wrong, women should not hit men any more than men should hit women but the consequences are different. Most men would also agree with me that men just shouldn't hit women. I was just using it as an example of how men and women are different and are held to different standards.

terrible.
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    Because patriarchy.
    Men have traditionally wielded power over women, in a general sense. It is natural for such actions to be interpreted as threatening when it's a man doing them to a woman, because in the past they usually were (and of course sometimes still are today).

Basically it comes down to: "Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
    I know that is not necessarily true in the examples you gave, or in many/most situations. But it's how most of us were raised. Women are on high alert because we are taught to be careful of men. We are taught to lock our car doors, don't go out at night alone, don't accept a drink from a stranger, don't do this, don't do that... however very few men would have been raised to be careful of women. They simply don't fear us, for the most part.
  • walleyclan1
    Options
    They simply don't fear us, for the most part.

we will have to work on that... :devil:
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Who comes up with these dares?!?

Congrats, you win... hepatitis. Woooooo
  • walleyclan1
    Options
    Who comes up with these dares?!?

Congrats, you win... hepatitis. Woooooo

STD history was the second question I asked him, right after the old "Does the carpet match the curtains"
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Ew. :sick:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Not so sure what you are doing is atypical. Two ways to go about your life. First, you can treat people the way you expect to be treated or, as in this instance, you can act out and probably get away with it while you are still young, cute and "mildy" attractive. The problem is that you won't always be young and cute. You might not even be "mildy" attractive and, without those attributes, you might be surprised how much less accommodating people might become. Not saying you shouldn't enjoy yourself at this point in your life -- just saying you might want to work on some other personality traits as well.

Not trying to be mean. I have three daughters and I would give them the same advice, and, having had three daughters, I think you might just be trying to be cute in MFP.
  • KindredSouls
    KindredSouls Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    aAYgvBg_700b.jpg
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    There are double standards, of course. Men and women aren't the same, so we each have different "rules".

I think it just needs to be noted that not ALL men or ALL women are comfortable with the double standards. There are indeed some men who would be incensed that you felt comfortable asking them for some damn public hair. And you really couldn't get away with basically sexually harassing every single man out there.

Also for the woman who mentioned the hitting. A woman needs to be very sure she feels comfortable slapping me in the face because there is a high likelihood her *kitten* is getting a very swift, very physical, retort.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options

1) ... asked him if I could have some of his pubes.

2) ...I finally slapped him on the butt and told him to stop getting in my way.

What are your thoughts on this double standard I seem to possess?

This isn't a double standard. Whether a guy or girl does either of the above, it is still rude or unacceptable (or should be).

Carry on.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    No they shouldn't, no one should hit anyone. But there IS a difference between a guy slapping a girl across the face and a girl slapping a guy across the face.

Please explain what the difference is.

Yeah, wondering this as well.....
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options

I noticed "mildly", it would have been more of a complement if it was "attractive". Frankly you are quite cute!!
  • walleyclan1
    Options

I noticed "mildly", it would have been more of a complement if it was "attractive". Frankly you are quite cute!!

Thank you!
  • peachcats
    Options
    Double standards exist because people are not equal. Going to leave it at that before I turn it into a rant.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    No they shouldn't, no one should hit anyone. But there IS a difference between a guy slapping a girl across the face and a girl slapping a guy across the face.

Please explain what the difference is.

This.

As far as I'm concerned nobody should be able to touch anyone without their permission, nobody. Male or female. I know plenty of females (myself included) who could be a threat to a male if needs be, I've been in the situation of having to protect myself. I've also grown up with domestic violence & let me tell you, if my mother had hit my father as hard as she hit me........

One thing defending yourself, another thing being the person who starts it.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    excellent points.
  • LePetitCochon
    Options
    This is disgusting. Who has pubes long enough to hand out at a bar in 2013?! Shave or at least trim that ish!!

He was super blonde. Maybe blondes figure they don't have to? IDFK