I just don't care about the 'obesity epidemic'

Options
In fact, I'm sick of reading/hearing about it everywhere. I don't care if you weigh 100 pounds or 500 pounds. I don't care what you eat. I don't care how much you eat. I don't care how often you eat.

Seriously people, why the hell does it even matter? It's like everyone's forgotten that underneath all that subcutaneous fat is an ACTUAL person -- someone who has goals and ambitions, feelings and emotions, and families and friends JUST LIKE YOU. We aren't just sacks of ooey gooey yellow fat to pitied for or disgusted by.

How does your curvy/chubby/fat/obese neighbor affect you?

Replies

• Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I don't care about other peoples' diets either-- they're adults and it's their choice. The only time it does bother me is when I see obese children, who are pretty obviously being handed a set of unhealthy habits by their parents.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Tax dollars. :grumble:
  • jennalennafur
    jennalennafur Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I don't care about other peoples' diets either-- they're adults and it's their choice. The only time it does bother me is when I see obese children, who are pretty obviously being handed a set of unhealthy habits by their parents.
    This. I hate seeing chubby kids because I know it's not their fault necessarily. And they're going to have a tough time losing any weight when all they've known is how to be unhealthy.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Tax dollars. :grumble:

So you wouldn't have to pay taxes anymore if everyone were thin and healthy?
  • funkyspunky872
    Options
    This. I hate seeing chubby kids because I know it's not their fault necessarily. And they're going to have a tough time losing any weight when all they've known is how to be unhealthy.

I guess I can actually agree to both of these comments as I was 300ish pounds when I was in the 8th grade. Those are actually some good points, so thank you both.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Who's asking you to care about it? :huh:
  • funkyspunky872
    Options

Nobody, thus why I don't.

Who asked you? :huh:
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,453 Member
    Options
    You're taking this way too personally. I don't care about specific people being obese (except about their health) but there are plenty of reasons to care about the bigger picture of such a big proportion of the population being obese.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Obese people cost 40% more a year in health care related expenses than a "normal" weight person. As a rule they do not pay more for health insurance than a "normal" size person, i.e., there is a cost that is spread to people who can push away from the table. Statistically obese people call in "sick" to work more often and file more workers comp claims (not to mention health care workers who are injured taking care of obese patients-happens all the time), so again, money.

It isn't about aesthetics, it's about money.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    You've been a member since 2011, so I presume you are not targeting your rant, if you will, to those who frequent MFP. Here I certainly have not seen any judgment toward people who have extra weight. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

What is your point?
  • funkyspunky872
    Options
    You're taking this way too personally. I don't care about specific people being obese (except about their health) but there are plenty of reasons to care about the bigger picture of such a big proportion of the population being obese.

I'm sorry, but what are those reasons exactly?
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options

I guess I can actually agree to both of these comments as I was 300ish pounds when I was in the 8th grade. Those are actually some good points, so thank you both.

You bet. :) Three hundred in eighth grade-- that's nuts. You've lost alot, it seems.
  • servilia
    Options

I'm sorry, but what are those reasons exactly?

If you can't think of any then I can't help you.but look at Bobbie's post for a clue.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options

Nobody, thus why I don't.

Who asked you? :huh:

You did. :huh:

I don't care about it either, not really. "Fat people" are just people who happen to be fat. If they're happy the way they are, I'm happy to let them be happy the way they are. I certainly don't think I'm somehow better at life just because I'm thin.
  • ChrisM32205
    ChrisM32205 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I care.. cause I can look at myself and think.. I am glad that's not me. Is that wrong? :)
  • servilia
    Options
    Obese people cost 40% more a year in health care related expenses than a "normal" weight person. As a rule they do not pay more for health insurance than a "normal" size person, i.e., there is a cost that is spread to people who can push away from the table. Statistically obese people call in "sick" to work more often and file more workers comp claims (not to mention health care workers who are injured taking care of obese patients-happens all the time), so again, money.

Old people are a real pain the a** too then.

Except aging isn't preventable.. Unless you kill people off before they get old. Try again.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Universal health care means I pay extra taxes and hospitals have more load to carry. But that's just the extreme of one side of this argument. The general problem is that the trend is increasing and science just points out that this is an issue for the general public to be aware. This is a slow and silent killer here. That's my logical side speaking...

Now for my completely irrational and *kitten* side:

There's a movement of this pro-obesity. It's okay to be obese. This is more of a problem health wise... It's not any better to be obese than it is to be a smoker. If people can tell me that smoking is gross and that it's going to kill me, I should be able to say the same thing about obesity, but I can't because people get butt hurt and are sensitive about their shape?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Right, but aging is inevitable.
  • peachcats
    Options
    I care because I have to pay more to travel, pay more for healthcare, etc.
    Obesity is linked to many of the leading causes of death in USA and is entirely preventable.

I'll never accept obesity for the same reason I won't accept illiteracy.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

Touche, but old age isn't a curable "disease" obesity is.