Replies

• pittsjg
    pittsjg Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Power rack, best and safest peice of equipment in the gym
  • FishingGuy75
    FishingGuy75 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love working out at home. Thanks for the great ideas.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You'll want rubber flooring if you are doing free weights. The gym-specific stuff is extremely expensive, >$100 for a 4'x6' section. Go to a Tractor Supply Company (or similar) you can get 4'x6' horse stall mats for $34.99 that are the same thing. The only downside is that they can smell for a bit, the ones I bought were stored with the chicken feed, and my basement thus smelled like chicken feed for a week. You could avoid this by airing them out for a few days, or just deal with it like I did. Be warned, these things weigh something like 80 lbs each and are hard to carry, they don't roll up or anything. They'll last forever, but getting them in place is a pain too.

I built my squat rack, you can see it in my profile picture. I found the plans here: http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/homemade-power-rack.html

I've had 350 lbs in it, and I'd trust it with more. Cost was just over $100
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    previous posts make this redundant but: power rack, bench, barbell. all you'll ever need.
  • flet2
    flet2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Since you mentioned pullups several times, get a set of gymnastics rings with the tie downs to hang them. Then hang them from the bar and do horizontal bodyweight rows to build your back strength and work up to pullups. I got a set a week ago and love them, raise and lower as your skills progress or for your various exercises. Also, a small collapsible/ adjustable bench is a good buy for a minimalist home gym. use for stepups, box jumps, dumbell moves etc.
    Just start with basics and add equipment as your strength grows and you fine tune your program.
  • progressnotperfection84
    Options
    Bumping
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I would say to hit up Craigslist or Amazon.

Items to look for:

- Power Rack
    - Barbell with Plates
    - Bench

That right there would be a good start and as time goes on maybe pick up some dumbells or kettle bells.
  • drenergy
    drenergy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    We're house shopping and keen on a place with space for a simple home gym. Appreciate these ideas!

I know! This is super helpful.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    We're house shopping and keen on a place with space for a simple home gym. Appreciate these ideas!

I know! This is super helpful.
    Prerequisite when we moved. We passed up a couple nice houses because they didn't have a basement or room for my weights.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Equipment:

- Power Cage (aka Power Rack), Squat Rack or Squat Stands.
    The power cage is ideal because you can get a stand alone bench and set the safety catches to the proper height to allow you to bench inside the cage and safely to do without a spotter. Basically, when you arch your back to bench, the bar should be able to touch your chest, but when you lay flat it should hit the safety catches. I had to put two pieces of plywood underneath my bench to get this to work properly.

- A standalone bench (if getting a power cage) or a bench press
    Self-explanatory. Just make sure you read weight limits and think about how much you will be benching + your own weight. One that can vary inclines would be good too.

- An olympic barbell
    A standard 45lb one; or if you're not that strong yet, you can find 35lb or lighter ones online. Most on criagslist will be the 45lb ones. Make sure the bar is not bent much when buying on Craigslist.

- Dumbbells: Olympic dumbbell handles (takes olympic plates) or dumbbells of varying weights

- Olympic Plates
    No milk jugs won't work. lol Just get how much you think you'll need. Realize you'll need either two of each for barbell exercises or four of each for dumbbell exercises with olympic DB handles. You will need multiple 10lb plates though (for making the jump from one 10 to one 25, etc.)

- Olympic spring collars
    Stops the plates from moving around on the bar or dumbbells.

Nice extras:

- Bumper Plates
    Not just for olympic lifts, but any floor lift where you're starting with a weight less than the bar + two 45's. If you can't afford these (they're not cheap) consider measuring the 45lb plate from the center to edge and get cinderblock(s) that equal that height. You can place the bar on these to raise it up when doing less than 45's. I've done this for years and it's worked for me.

- A simple pulley machine
    I never got one of these, but a pulley machine would add a lot of exercises that hit muscles that are hard to hit with just barbells and dumbbells (such as lats if you're unable to do chinups).

Conditioning Equipment (if you're into that sort of thing):

- Prowler
    It's a weight sled that had two upright handles you can push it with and you can also loop a rope with some PVC pipe handles through the hole in the front to do backwards and forwards drags. It can give you a brutal workout. I absolutely love/hate my Prowler!

Farmer's Walk Handles:

Look around for "Pitbull Strongman Equipment". He has a Myspace (lol I know), but his email is around somewhere. He has the cheapest Farmer's Walk handles around ($105 with shipping), but they are very sturdy.

Well that's all I have. I doubt you'll want everything I listed, but I wanted to show you options. My home gym is just a remnant of it's former glory since I started doing my lifting at a gym. But I still have my Prowler, Farmer's Walks handles, and a place to do floor lifts. If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Oh and I'm wondering why everyone recommends the mats for home gyms. Have you actually lifted enough to crack the cement? I lifted in my garage gym for a year, even dropped a barbell by mistake once and never messed up the floor.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I use the mats because if I drop the bar I don't want to crack a 100lb plate that is expensive to replace. Or if I'm doing really heavy dumbbell bench and have to bail out by dropping the dumbbell, I don't want them hitting the floor and breaking, because they will. It also gives good footing compared to concrete. And even with bumper plates, it's nice to have the rubber floor when doing things like power cleans.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Oh and I'm wondering why everyone recommends the mats for home gyms. Have you actually lifted enough to crack the cement? I lifted in my garage gym for a year, even dropped a barbell by mistake once and never messed up the floor.

Better footing, quieter (my weight room is right underneath my daughters room, and I often lift when she is asleep) and to protect the equipment.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Sorry for bringing the zombie thread back from the dead, but bumping to read later. Moving into a new house next month with more bedrooms/basement/garage space than I know what to do with!
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Power rack, barbell, weights and an adjustable bench