Your favorite vegetarian/vegan turkey alternative

Options
2»

Replies

• hironsd
    hironsd Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I quite enjoy the Field Roast Celebration Roast.
  • Im4gin3th4t
    Im4gin3th4t Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Last year I made a butternut squash lasagne, and it was amazing! This year I'm thinking about baking a wild rice pilaf in a small pumpkin. I try to make something flavorful and healthy and different that everyone will try.

I did this too! Usually I avoid trying to imitate meat at holidays since people like to (good naturedly) poke fun. So last year I made a vegan butternut squash lasagna, vegan gravy, brussel sprouts and a vegan pumpkin bread.

And everyone in my family enjoyed it! :)
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    it's not really a "turkey" replacement, but you could try making a nut loaf...and a good nut loaf is very good indeed!

I use 2 cups cashews, soaked over night
    2 cloves garlic
    2 sticks celery
    1/2 cup bread crumbs (rice flour also works if you're gluten free)
    nutritional yeast - 2 tablespoons
    enough water to bind it all together

method
    put everything in the blender/food processor and bake in loaf pan - medium oven until golden brown. when its done I turn it out of the loaf tin, smother it in barbeque sauce (let it soak in for a while) and serve it with vegan gravy.
    This is seriously delicious, I've served it heaps of times to carnivores and never had any leftovers...

This is the kind of thing I was fishing for, definitely! It needn't pretend to be turkey, just some kind of roast-esque delight.

Can I use already roasted cashews (like cocktail cashews) or do they need to be raw to start?
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I really like the Field Roast celebration roast. If I'm cooking thanksgiving dinner, I serve it every time. I also enjoy making a wild rice stuffing and stuffing baked acorn squash with it.
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    it's not really a "turkey" replacement, but you could try making a nut loaf...and a good nut loaf is very good indeed!

I use 2 cups cashews, soaked over night
    2 cloves garlic
    2 sticks celery
    1/2 cup bread crumbs (rice flour also works if you're gluten free)
    nutritional yeast - 2 tablespoons
    enough water to bind it all together

method
    put everything in the blender/food processor and bake in loaf pan - medium oven until golden brown. when its done I turn it out of the loaf tin, smother it in barbeque sauce (let it soak in for a while) and serve it with vegan gravy.
    This is seriously delicious, I've served it heaps of times to carnivores and never had any leftovers...

This is the kind of thing I was fishing for, definitely! It needn't pretend to be turkey, just some kind of roast-esque delight.

Can I use already roasted cashews (like cocktail cashews) or do they need to be raw to start?

They'll need to be raw, otherwise they won't take up enough water when you soak them
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    That cashew loaf sounds delish. I am going to have to try that.

Does anyone have any recipes to share that use fresh pumpkins?

I am spending Thanksgiving with my husband's family. I tend to make a dish that I can bring with me to eat. If I don't they end up handing me a microwaved veggie burger and call it a day. Just eating the sides is not really an option either as most of them contain meat or byproducts. Usually I make a pumpkin bowl filled with wild rice, nuts and veggies. I have made that for the past few years and brought it with me. I can always do that as my old standby if need be but was hoping for something different. I have a few pumpkins and want to use them up. Any suggestions on what to make?
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    You could try making pies with various meat free fillings, there are a lot of options out there, with many varieties involving veggies, nuts, fruits, and such.

Here's a recipe for a very Christmasy roast pie. I know you meant Thanksgiving alternatives but thought this may be of interest. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/vegetarian_nut_roast_pie_62864

Not Christmasy - I love this one: http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/butternut-squash-spinach-and-goats-cheese-pie-with-cheesy-pastry

Also you could try vegetarian sausages, like glamorgan sausages.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    MMMM tofurky with gravy and cranberry sauce. I was pretty much in heaven liked it better than the real stuff.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, the world of processed food, sure rule in the US. I'd rather eat cardboard, sorry.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Fake meat grosses me out. (I do eat birds and fish, so I'm obviously not a vegetarian, but I also go meatless frequently.)

I would think you would want a savory dish as a replacement. I imagine some sort of wild and brown rice with all the traditional herbs and seasonings, with nuts, apples and mushrooms, maybe lentils - all "meaty" type veg combined into a stuffing/casserole. I could be satisfied with that.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Oh dear, the world of processed food, sure rule in the US. I'd rather eat cardboard, sorry.

youve never prepared your own loaf? It's divine the flavors you can create. I would give it a try if were you.

One recipe I pulled:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tofu-turkey-i/
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options

youve never prepared your own loaf? It's divine the flavors you can create. I would give it a try if were you.

One recipe I pulled:

Thanks, but there's no such thing as turkey flavoured tofu where I live. Only quorn mince and tofu pieces. I only eat quorn mince in emergencies, for when I am to ill to cook from fresh. Also, I eat turkey once a year, so as not to offend anyone in family. Sigh
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of processed crap and cook most of my food from scratch. I remember this one being good and also nice for leftovers. (Don't remember where I got it.)

Vegan Meatloaf (also gluten-free)

1/2 cup lentils
    1/4 cup nuts (your preference)
    1.5 Tbs of ground flax mixed with 1/4 cup warm water
    1.5 cloves of garlic, minced
    1/2 cup of diced onion
    1/2 cup diced celery
    1/2 cup grated carrot
    1/4 cup grated apple
    1/4 cup raisins (or cranberries, whatever.)
    1/4 cup of oat flour or finely ground oats
    1/2 cup of crumbs (if GF, use crushed GF crackers or GF bread)
    1/4 tsp thyme
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    (add a bit of sambal oelek to taste if you'd like it with a touch of heat)

For the glaze, I don't have the amounts written down, but it's a blend of tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup or light molasses (or honey if you aren't strict vegan), a little more sambal oelek if you're using it, and ketchup (ketchup was optional - I didn't use it).

1.) Rinse and drain lentils. Simmer in 3 cups of vegetable broth for 20 mins., or until water is absorbed and lentils are "doughy." Mash lentils slightly.
    2.) Toast nuts for 8-10 minutes @ 325 degrees, chop finely and set aside. Increase oven temp. to 350.
    3.) Mix the flax and water if you haven't already and set aside.
    4.) Heat a couple of tsp. of olive oil and saute onion 5 minutes, then add celery, carrot, apple, raisins and saute 5 more mins. (Add garlic with the onions or wait until the end to throw it in there. I usually wait, because too much sauteing can turn garlic bitter.) Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
    5.) Combine ALL ingredients (except the glaze stuff) and press the mixture into a greased and parchment-lined loaf pan. (Parchment makes it super simple to pull out of the pan.)
    6.) Whisk the glaze together and spread it on top (not too thick.) You can save some for dipping later if you want.
    7.) Bake uncovered for 40-50 minutes. Cool for at least 10 minutes. (It slices best when cooled in the fridge.)
  • ldrosophila
    Options

One recipe I pulled:

Thanks, but there's no such thing as turkey flavoured tofu where I live. Only quorn mince and tofu pieces. I only eat quorn mince in emergencies, for when I am to ill to cook from fresh. Also, I eat turkey once a year, so as not to offend anyone in family. Sigh

Well if you ever feel bold try making your own. It's amazing the versatility of tofu.
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The one from Trader Joe's (In the frozen section) is very tasty and vegan. There is a small vegan chain of restaurants where I live (southern california) that makes a wellington that I am so excited to try!
    As for my thanksgiving, I will be making a Shepard's pie using lentils, a green bean casserole, southern style greens, mashed potatoes (all vegan)... There are awesome ideas on pinterest and instagram!
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    The one from Trader Joe's (In the frozen section) is very tasty and vegan. There is a small vegan chain of restaurants where I live (southern california) that makes a wellington that I am so excited to try!
    As for my thanksgiving, I will be making a Shepard's pie using lentils, a green bean casserole, southern style greens, mashed potatoes (all vegan)... There are awesome ideas on pinterest and instagram!

I've done lentil shephard's pie before, it's a delight and a crowd pleaser! I love lentils. I'll swing by Trader Joe's this week and see what they've got in the freezer case, thanks :)

To be clear to the thread in general, I was veg for a couple of decades and learned to cook as one--so I know that you don't have to have fake meat to have a lovely meal. I'm a decent cook and not new to these ideas. But I do in fact like fake meat sometimes, and even if it's not trying to be turkey (like the cashew loaf I really want to try) I like the idea of making a special, carveable, roasty main dish for Thanksgiving. We still don't know the official T-day plan with my husband's family, but I like to have a real alternative with quality protein to take with me when I go, and his nieces are all gradually eschewing meat, so having an alternative roast would take care of me and them as well.