I just don't care about the 'obesity epidemic'

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    OP ignore the haterz!!!!! :noway:

There just jealous. Congrats and good luck or you're journey! :flowerforyou:

Who is hating!? Why shouldn't someone who has deserts in her pic not be questioned about contributing to the problem with this careless attitude?

Now DESERTS are to blame??? ;)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My statements were not meant for anyone to take personally. You had large babies. From the looks of it, you appear to be genetically a "big baby" maker. Some people just are.

I'm guessing that your children were healthy and your deliveries successful. That's not always the case.

I'm not "name-calling" newborns. I'm using "obese" is an adjective to describe a disproportionately large weight to length ratio AT ONE POINT IN TIME, not as a chronic condition.
    I think the main issue we have is with the person freaking out about her friends having an 11-pound baby, not so much with you. But it's still silly to label a baby as obese, since that term denotes something that is within someone's control and can lead to health problems. You just can't tell that about a newborn based on weight. Some babies are just born big and there's not necessarily anything wrong with that. They're just big babies. If they weigh 80 pounds at 2 years old, there's a problem.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Tax dollars. :grumble:

AMEN! This is a huge part of why the Affordable Care Act isn't soo affordable. Healthy, WORKING people have to subsidize unhealthy people!

Fixed it to reflect a keyword you left out. Thanks Obama!

^^ This. 110% THIS.
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I do care, I care about people learning how amazing their bodies are by using in exercising, about how most of the population deals with anxiety and depression and can be combated with working out. I care that people walk around with lack of confidence because they don't know that weight loss is so easy and so attainable by them.
    I CARE ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE.
    Not because it affects me, but I care about THEM! I care about their families and how it affects their daily life. You are truly only thinking about you, it doesn't affect you, YOU are tired of hearing about something.
    Well guess what, people are tired of hearing about war, but it is still real

So oh well, things in the world suck but they are still real, and people need to understand how dangerous it is.
    the end.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    OP ignore the haterz!!!!! :noway:

There just jealous. Congrats and good luck or you're journey! :flowerforyou:

Who is hating!? Why shouldn't someone who has deserts in her pic not be questioned about contributing to the problem with this careless attitude?

Now DESERTS are to blame??? ;)

It's the dry air. :bigsmile:
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    In fact, I'm sick of reading/hearing about it everywhere. I don't care if you weigh 100 pounds or 500 pounds. I don't care what you eat. I don't care how much you eat. I don't care how often you eat.

Seriously people, why the hell does it even matter? It's like everyone's forgotten that underneath all that subcutaneous fat is an ACTUAL person -- someone who has goals and ambitions, feelings and emotions, and families and friends JUST LIKE YOU. We aren't just sacks of ooey gooey yellow fat to pitied for or disgusted by.

How does your curvy/chubby/fat/obese neighbor affect you?
    I dont know.....health care we now pay for! Taxes! As a tax paying U.S citizen....you should care:) Thats the problem, people like you only think it does not effect you, when in fact it effects everyone! As for me, I DO CARE!!!!
  • Siansonea
    Options
    I do care, I care about people learning how amazing their bodies are by using in exercising, about how most of the population deals with anxiety and depression and can be combated with working out. I care that people walk around with lack of confidence because they don't know that weight loss is so easy and so attainable by them.
    I CARE ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE.
    Not because it affects me, but I care about THEM! I care about their families and how it affects their daily life. You are truly only thinking about you, it doesn't affect you, YOU are tired of hearing about something.
    Well guess what, people are tired of hearing about war, but it is still real

So oh well, things in the world suck but they are still real, and people need to understand how dangerous it is.
    the end.

I care about YOU, so I'm going to preach at YOU about what YOU should be doing for YOU!

Maybe you should go door-to-door and spread the Good News About Calorie Deficits. :tongue:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    My statements were not meant for anyone to take personally. You had large babies. From the looks of it, you appear to be genetically a "big baby" maker. Some people just are.

I'm guessing that your children were healthy and your deliveries successful. That's not always the case.

I'm not "name-calling" newborns. I'm using "obese" is an adjective to describe a disproportionately large weight to length ratio AT ONE POINT IN TIME, not as a chronic condition.
    I think the main issue we have is with the person freaking out about her friends having an 11-pound baby, not so much with you. But it's still silly to label a baby as obese, since that term denotes something that is within someone's control and can lead to health problems. You just can't tell that about a newborn based on weight. Some babies are just born big and there's not necessarily anything wrong with that. They're just big babies. If they weigh 80 pounds at 2 years old, there's a problem.

even at 2, they can't help themselves. :(
    Most people I am in contact with regularly use words at face value as I do, without added connotation; not silly - just succinct and necessary for the work I do.
  • Siansonea
    Options

AMEN! This is a huge part of why the Affordable Care Act isn't soo affordable. Healthy, WORKING people have to subsidize unhealthy people!

^^ This. 110% THIS.

Yeah, we should just let them all suffer and die, after all, it's their fault they're sick. Plus, it's what Jeezus would do (when he's not duck hunting or influencing sports games, of course). :laugh:

Funny how people only want to pay for the government services they themselves benefit from. Oh wait, they don't want to pay for those either. :tongue:
  • mmphilma
    mmphilma Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Agreed.
  • rml_16
    Options

even at 2, they can't help themselves. :(
    Most people I am in contact with regularly use words at face value as I do, without added connotation; not silly - just succinct and necessary for the work I do.
    No, but certainly that shows parental negligence at the very least. You can't blame a parent for a baby just out of the womb weighing 11 pounds. Even women of normal, healthy weights who gain reasonable amounts during pregnancy can have gestational diabetes and cause larger babies. But you can't really blame the mother for that. It's a medical condition that happens.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You should care. We all should. The more obese a society we have the higher the costs of insurance that the rest of us are going to have to pay for. Let's not even get started about how disgustingly fat so many children are these days. It is pathetic.

And underneath that fat is a person...I get it. But perhaps if that person took better care then they would feel better about themselves.
    In fact, I'm sick of reading/hearing about it everywhere. I don't care if you weigh 100 pounds or 500 pounds. I don't care what you eat. I don't care how much you eat. I don't care how often you eat.

Seriously people, why the hell does it even matter? It's like everyone's forgotten that underneath all that subcutaneous fat is an ACTUAL person -- someone who has goals and ambitions, feelings and emotions, and families and friends JUST LIKE YOU. We aren't just sacks of ooey gooey yellow fat to pitied for or disgusted by.

How does your curvy/chubby/fat/obese neighbor affect you?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    I'm laughing at this entire thread.

I don't care if people are obese. I also don't care if they're smokers or drinkers. I don't see people complaining about lifelong smokers having higher rates of cancer and "costing us tax dollars", yet people are so willing to harp on the obese for having heart problems etc.

WHAT? the government took a HUGE stance against the tobacco company because it was costing us so much money. have you seen the price of a pack of cigarettes lately?

I meant in this thread, sorry. Also I don't know the going rate of cigarettes or how it's changed because I'm not a smoker and have never been :)

As a reformed smoker and former obese person I can personally tell you that as a smoker I was basically treated as a 5th class citizen at best...when I was just fat, most people didn't care.
  • HulkSmashFat
    HulkSmashFat Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Obese people cost 40% more a year in health care related expenses than a "normal" weight person. As a rule they do not pay more for health insurance than a "normal" size person, i.e., there is a cost that is spread to people who can push away from the table. Statistically obese people call in "sick" to work more often and file more workers comp claims (not to mention health care workers who are injured taking care of obese patients-happens all the time), so again, money.

It isn't about aesthetics, it's about money.

Obese people are less likely to go to the doctor for small complaints as they are afraid of bad treatment, hence they only tend to go when the problem is really bad...meaning their treatment costs more. It's not necessarily that they're going to the doctor 40% more often and it's disingenuous to present it that way.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    We definitely should thank Obama. The first president to get health care through for tens of millions of people who aren't covered.

You sound like an other uniformed person who gets their news from talk radio or fake news.

• gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I don't care about other peoples' diets either-- they're adults and it's their choice. The only time it does bother me is when I see obese children, who are pretty obviously being handed a set of unhealthy habits by their parents.
    This. I hate seeing chubby kids because I know it's not their fault necessarily. And they're going to have a tough time losing any weight when all they've known is how to be unhealthy.

I guess I can actually agree to both of these comments as I was 300ish pounds when I was in the 8th grade. Those are actually some good points, so thank you both.

Agree 100%
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I don't care about other peoples' diets either-- they're adults and it's their choice. The only time it does bother me is when I see obese children, who are pretty obviously being handed a set of unhealthy habits by their parents.
    This. I hate seeing chubby kids because I know it's not their fault necessarily. And they're going to have a tough time losing any weight when all they've known is how to be unhealthy.

I agree 100%. I know what it's like to be that overweight kid, and to become that obese adult. The things I know now I had no clue about as a child, and I wish that I had the tools I needed then to stop my weight gain. My parents are wonderful people, but I sure wish they had said no when I was a child and helped me to make better choices!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

Its doesn't bother me unless I'm stuck next to an extremely obese person in a aeroplane or train.

Yeah because we all know fat is contagious.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    We definitely should thank Obama. The first president to get health care through for tens of millions of people who aren't covered.

You sound like an other uniformed person who gets their news from talk radio or fake news.

hCEB630E8
  • rml_16
    Options

Its doesn't bother me unless I'm stuck next to an extremely obese person in a aeroplane or train.

Yeah because we all know fat is contagious.
    Um, I think he means because of the lack of space.