Plateau in running

Options
So I've been running for about 9 weeks now. I try to run four times a week but sometimes only manage once, though I've not skipped any weeks totally. Over the first five weeks my pace per kilometre dropped from 10 minutes to 7 minutes, but over the last four weeks it has plateaued at ~7 min/km.

I run both treadmill and outside (roads and paths) for about 20-30 minutes a time. I can't yet run for the entire half-hour but on good days can hit 15 minutes without needing to walk.

Is this speed plateau to be expected? I want to hit 5k in half an hour. Should I run for longer, should I run till I hit 5k each time? Should I push my speed on the treadmill, where I can control it to the .1 of a km or outside where its up to my body? Any help or support would be much appreciated.

Replies

• rileyhunter169
    Options
    My guess is you have bad technique... Your arms should be going front and back not side to side, maintain relaxed shoulders, arms 90 degrees, forefoot running is best, make sure to increase stride length on that note increasing flexibility in hips; use your calved for propulsion; glutes and hams to further raise up the legs, also, make sure to push harder, that's a lot of it I find is learning to try harder; don't really care if you think you try hard. I don't foresee another reason why you should be plateaued at this pace, unless your morbidly obese. For me; I find bad technique is most of it, making the difference between 9-10 min/miles and a 6.5-8min/mile; although caloric intake and fatigue makes a difference too. Stop running on treadmills; they are useless for real runners as they provide momentum for your locomotion, thereby reducing workload. They also take a way terrain, and they are boring. A good way to learn to move with purpose is something called speed work or intervals, do this on a track or grass/gravel/etc preferably; road is okay. Technique and VO2 max and aerobic threshold increases will be achieved. Start with 200-400m intervals with 45-90sec between depending on intensity; for you I'd start with an 9 min/mile do this about 4-12 times for 5k/mile training after warming up, once a week probably.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I disagree about technique and Intervals. You are fairly new to running, and though intervals are a fine workout, until you get your aerobic fitness up, all the speedwork in the world will only give you marginal gains. I don't know how someone could possibly assess your technique over the internet. Sure your may be off, but that would more likely make your knees, feet, and hips hurt than slow you down at first. Fixing your arm position damn sure isn't going to drop 3 minutes off your mile as a beginner. Its something you worry about when trying to knock a few minutes off your marathon.

In order to run a faster 5k, train for a 10k. At your level, the thing that will give you better times is more miles, more miles, more miles. Increase you mileage by 10% each week. Throw in some strides at the end of each workout.

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/add-strides-your-next-run

Once you have a base built up, then you can worry about intervals, tempo runs, and other speedwork. i do agree that ditching the treadmill is a good idea, but mainly because treadmills are boring.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    do some interval training.. less mileage more speed.. try running some sprints.. and try training yourself other ways. I don't run really ever other than 100-800 meters here and there in crossfit WODS. the last 3 times I ran 5k's with friends I PR'd. 4 Months ago it took 36 minutes, dropped to 31, 27, 25.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    couch to 5k

when i first started running i just did my own thing and once i reached a certain level i didnt improve. couch to 5k is designed to get you up to 30mins straight running.

you will find the first 3 - 4 weeks pretty easy.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You need more miles, and ditch the intervals. I ran my fastest 10 mile race without doing a single interval (7:15 minute miles on ave). Just long slow distance. Build by 10% only each week. It's all about building a cardio base. vpetryshyn is absolutely correct.

This is from my favorite all time running website. They got me that PR. This is for a 10K, but same rules apply. Good luck!

http://www.teamoregon.com/publication/online/race10k.html
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest following a good training program like FIRST. Google some. You should do both slower long runs and faster intervals each week. Make one of your 4 runs an easy recovery. If you want to get faster, you'll have to train consistently.
  • FiftyandGettingBetter
    Options
    I've started the C25K twice... finished zero. I started again about 6 weeks ago... with my local running club. Power in numbers. I love it. I haven't gone that far, but running with others helps me.
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You could try the John Stanton method of running, which is 10:1 method (run 10 minutes, walk 1). The idea is that you will increase your speed with having the 1 minute recovery periods. In the learn to run class, you start with 5 minutes running, 1 minute walking the first 2 weeks, week 3 and 4 increase to 7 minutes running, 1 minute walking and then week 5 and on is 10:1. After that you can increase your running intervals (12 min, 15 min, etc.) but still keep that 1 minute recovery period.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I disagree about technique and Intervals. You are fairly new to running, and though intervals are a fine workout, until you get your aerobic fitness up, all the speedwork in the world will only give you marginal gains. I don't know how someone could possibly assess your technique over the internet. Sure your may be off, but that would more likely make your knees, feet, and hips hurt than slow you down at first. Fixing your arm position damn sure isn't going to drop 3 minutes off your mile as a beginner. Its something you worry about when trying to knock a few minutes off your marathon.

In order to run a faster 5k, train for a 10k. At your level, the thing that will give you better times is more miles, more miles, more miles. Increase you mileage by 10% each week. Throw in some strides at the end of each workout.

Once you have a base built up, then you can worry about intervals, tempo runs, and other speedwork. i do agree that ditching the treadmill is a good idea, but mainly because treadmills are boring.

This. Intervalscertainly have their place, but only after the is a good aerobic base.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Is this speed plateau to be expected? I want to hit 5k in half an hour.

Do a 10km run once or twice a week (work up to the distance!) Right now, for where you are, that's way more important than doing intervals. When you can bang out 10km regularly, then swap out one of the normal days for intervals or hills or etc.

It'll come - you just need the base first.
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think the 10:1 approach is amazing! I have run 10Ks and a half marathon like that and made decent time. In fact it's one of the ways you can get faster while running the race. You'll notice that toward the end you start passing people. It's fun!

I also found that cross training allowed me to become a better runner. Zumba, weights, TRX.. anything that works different muscle groups.
  • Fiveling
    Fiveling Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'll reply to these all properly later, just letting you know I've read them all. Seems to be two main ideas - run for longer distances at a constant speed or start doing intervals more.

I'll probably try the first one initially as being able to run for a constant 30 minutes would be a good start.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't do intervals and speed training now... Come on people! Best recipe to hurt yourself is to do speed work without having a good base + technique.

I recommend c25k. Take walking break if you need to. Once you hit the 5k mark try tu run a bit more with less walking. You'll get there.

Also, do MORE running. Once a week is not enough to improve. The more mileage you get in, the better you're body will be. It's that simple
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    #1 - run CONSISTENTLY. Want to run 3x a week? Run 3x a week, every week.
    #2 - run more. Either more days a week, or more miles/minutes a day
    #3 - Speedwork, intervals, etc. won't help. As others said, there's a very good chance they'll actually hurt instead.
    #4 - It's too early to hit a REAL speed barrier.

You can get pretty fast with just a base. I do 20:00-21:00 5ks on 15 mpw with zero speed work.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options

This guy!

You have not plateaued. Focus on running more mileage and getting your aerobic base up. I didn't started structured interval/speed training until my 5 KM time got around 25 minutes which took more than 4 months of steady training. Just don't get discouraged and keep running!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Speed should not be a concern to you right now.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

This. Intervalscertainly have their place, but only after the is a good aerobic base.

Also this. The lady who posted this knows what she's talking about too. Listen to her.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Lots of decent advice above!

What struck me was that you are only 9 weeks into running!

Along with all of the above, be patient! I have been running for a couple months shy of two years now. In that time I have seen way too many people injure themselves but pushing too hard too fast.
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the comments on adding distance. I trained for a half marathon primarily so I could bring down my 5k time. Took 4 minutes off it -- felt prouder of that than of running 13 miles!!