CROCKPOT POTATO CHOWDER
    12 Cups total
    4 hours High/8 hours Low

Generic - Russet Potato (Diced), 8 cups
    Fresh - Chopped Yellow Onion, 1 Cup
    Carrots - Carrots Chopped, 1 cup
    Generic - Celery - Raw, Sliced / Chopped
    Homemade - Organic Chicken Broth - Low Fat/Low Sodium, 6 cups
    Great Value - Cream Cheese 1/3 Less Fat, 1 block, cubed (added last 20-30 minutes/stirred in until melted)
    Hormel Real Bacon Bits, 6 Tbsp. chopped for garnish
    Chives - Raw, 6 Tbsp chopped for garnish

Total: 1695 calories
    Per Serving: 141

(I sauteed the onion/carrot/celery/garlic about 5 mins. in 1T bacon drippings before adding them to crockpot)

This sounds great!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have some good vegetarian recipes? Just tried this yesterday, quite yummy but would like to try some more.

1 carrot, grated
    1 can black beans drained and washed
    1 can red kidney beans drained and washed
    1 can chopped tomatoes
    1 whole birdseye chilli
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tbsp cumin and coriander
    1/2 cup split red lentils
    1 onion, diced

Put in slow cooker on low for 8 hrs. This also works with black beans that have been soaked but not yet cooked.
    thanks for sharing it, sounds yum! I'd love to see more without meat as well...
    one of my favorites is: 2 chicken breasts in the crock pot, add a cup of salsa, a can of black beans, a cup for frozen corn, taco seasoning and any other seasonings as well. once the chicken is cooked shred it and you can put it on top of brown rice, quinoa or put in tortilla shells. i have also thrown in a block of cream cheese with it and you could add green/red peppers and onion....
    thanks sounds so simple and hearty... I might add a dollop of Plain Greek Yogurt..

So what's everyone using for Salsa if you don't have your own homemade? Is there some brands you've found that are light on the sodium?
  • Territravel
    Territravel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    Thank for sharing I see some great recipes I will be trying soon
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Copied this recipe out of a friend's crock pot cookbook. Made some 'light' modifications and my entire family ate it...my husband said to double the batch next time.

Cheesy Santa Fe Soup

Serves: 8
    Serving size: approx. 1 cup

1 lb Velveeta, cubed ( I used Great Value Easy Melt 2% milk)
    1 lb ground turkey, browned & drained ( I used 85/15)
    15.25 oz can of corn, undrained
    15 oz can kidney beans, drained
    2- 14 or 14.5 oz can of Rotel or similar, undrained
    2 Tbsp. dry taco seasoning

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
    Cover & cook on High for 3 hours.

You can serve this over chips, rice, tortillas. I made corn bread muffins :tongue:

These are for the soup only, not including chips, rice, tortillas or corn bread :wink:

Calories: 288

Carbs: 25

Fat: 15

Protein: 20

Sodium: 1132

Calcium: 34

oh that has to be my next one!
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Bump! This is the time of year for everyone to be reading this!
  • nut_meggles
    Options
    Shredded Chicken Chili (Crockpot)

1.5lbs Boneless Chicken Breast
    1 can red kidney beans
    1 can white kidney beans
    1 large can of crushed tomatoes
    1 onion chopped
    1 green pepper chopped
    1 red pepper chopped
    2 TBS garlic
    2 TBS Chili powder
    1 Tsp cumin
    1 tsp oregano
    1/2 cup of water

Set crockpot on low for 8 hours. Shred chicken with 2 forks.
  • SmashliT
    SmashliT Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I recently made these ham and beans...one of my new favorite slow cooker recipes. The serving sizes are way more than you are looking for, but I always make more because we like to eat the leftovers for lunches during the week. Or you could just freeze half and thaw it out the next time you aren't in the mood to cook.

http://smashlicakes.blogspot.com/2013/11/crock-pot-ham-and-beans-and-meal-plan.html
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Gottagetfit4me
    Gottagetfit4me Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dgbush0208
    dgbush0208 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty good one that I made this past weekend for my daughter who was home from college:

1 pork roast
    5-6 potatoes (I used large red potatoes)
    1 jar of sauerkraut
    1 apple, peeled and grated

Peel and slice your potatoes -- kind of thick. Put on bottom of crock pot. Season pork roast with salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you like. Sear it on all sides on high heat. Place on top of sliced potatoes. Mix togeter sauerkraut and grated apple. Cover roast with mixture. Add 1-1/2 to 2 cups of broth or water. Cook on low for 8 hrs or high for 4 hours.

Remove roast, potatoes, and sauerkraut from crock pot and place on platter. Make gravy with liquid in crock pot.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Made this yesterday with chicken drumsticks instead and it was pretty tasty. 15 minutes to prep and enjoyed by all.

3 pounds chicken wing drummettes, skinned (30 drummettes)
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    3/4 cup thick hot sauce
    2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
    2 garlic cloves, minced

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/buffalo-style-drummettes-50400000124202/

1. Preheat oven to 450°.

2. Line a jelly-roll pan with foil; coat foil with cooking spray. Place chicken on prepared pan; sprinkle with pepper. Lightly coat chicken with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 7 minutes or until lightly browned.

3. Combine hot sauce and next 3 ingredients (through garlic) in an oval 4-quart electric slow cooker coated with cooking spray.

4. Remove chicken from pan; drain on paper towels. Place chicken in slow cooker, tossing gently to coat with sauce. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or until chicken is very tender. Serve with Blue Cheese Dip, carrot sticks, and celery sticks
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my slow cooker!! Here are a couple of my favorites:

Beef and Barley Soup - http://www.yourhomebasedmom.com/slow-cooker-beef-and-barley-soup/

Cabbage rolls (I use ground turkey) - http://melissaknorris.com/2012/04/18/pioneering-today-slow-cooker-cabbage-rolls-recipe/
  • gwen485
    gwen485 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • Chocolate_Queen
    Chocolate_Queen Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've just bought my first slower cooker (late to the party, i know!), so was thrilled to see this come up. I'm going to have to try some of these ideas.
  • ohnoomissjo
    ohnoomissjo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lasagna is fantastic made in the crock pot. Layer it in your crockpot as you would if you were making in the oven. Start with a layer of sauce (I make mine homemade from crushed tomatoes and season to my families taste) then noodles, (make certain your noodles are uncooked) then lowfat ricotta and mozzarella. Repeat. Use the lowest setting and voila!
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Bump for later