Body Dysmorphia?

Options
This may seem like it should be in the "general weight loss and diet help" board, but because my goal is to maintain my current weight, I'm posting it here.

I'm just wondering if anyone else seems to have this sort of "body dysmorphia" feeling after losing weight. I am 5'8", lost 42 pounds (went from ~174 to ~132) and am currently in a size 2 pant. All of these things sound like they should satisfy me, but for some reason, I'm finding they do not. I may look like I lost 42 pounds to others, but I do not FEEL like I lost 42 pounds. I look in the mirror and like the way my body looks, but I can't seem to stop feeling like I am still overweight and that I need to lose more. I feel like my belly is huge, but when I go to touch it I see that it is flat. I still treat my maintenance calorie goal as a limit to stay under, not a target to hit. This puts me at 400 calories under my goal on some days, but I cannot seem to make myself eat those last calories.

I am frustrated with myself because I did all of this hard work so that I would feel satisfied with myself and proud of what I have accomplished. Now that I am there, I feel like it's still not enough and I need to lose more. Any thoughts or ideas on how I could help convince myself that I am at a good weight?

Replies

• AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Just going to say that one side effect of being in a calorie deficit for an extended period of time is depression. I would honestly try your hardest to eat enough or maybe a little more for 2-4 weeks and see how your feeling then.

Otherwise a good book to look into reading:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Overcoming-Problems-including-Dysmorphic-Disorder/dp/1845292790

It helped my friend alot.
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I can really relate to this. I'm 5' 7', started out at 169, and my goal range is 124-128. Last time I weighed in a couple of days ago I was 122.5. I know I should get back up to 124, but still feel like I have to apologize or explain to my mfp pals that I'm overeating on purpose, and feel very guilty if I go over on calories for more than a day or two in a row. I usually try to get to at least 100 calories of my goal when I'm maintaining, but still can't help but feel proud of myself if I'm more than 100 calories under my goal at the end of the day. I do check the mirror every day still to make sure my tummy is still flat, and get so frustated if I feel bloated at the end of the day, worrying whether I'll feel that way in the morning or not. I don't think I ever really saw myself as the size 10 that I started out as, and now that I'm a size 4 I don't think I see myself as that way either. Trying on new clothes is still an eye opener, still surprised at how the mirror looks when I try on a small dress or pair of pants that actually fits. I definitely think body dysmorphia is an issue I should try and deal with.

Sorry I can't offer any advice, but wanted to let you know I'm in the same boat.
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I can really relate to this. I'm 5' 7', started out at 169, and my goal range is 124-128. Last time I weighed in a couple of days ago I was 122.5. I know I should get back up to 124, but still feel like I have to apologize or explain to my mfp pals that I'm overeating on purpose, and feel very guilty if I go over on calories for more than a day or two in a row. I usually try to get to at least 100 calories of my goal when I'm maintaining, but still can't help but feel proud of myself if I'm more than 100 calories under my goal at the end of the day. I do check the mirror every day still to make sure my tummy is still flat, and get so frustated if I feel bloated at the end of the day, worrying whether I'll feel that way in the morning or not. I don't think I ever really saw myself as the size 10 that I started out as, and now that I'm a size 4 I don't think I see myself as that way either. Trying on new clothes is still an eye opener, still surprised at how the mirror looks when I try on a small dress or pair of pants that actually fits. I definitely think body dysmorphia is an issue I should try and deal with.

Sorry I can't offer any advice, but wanted to let you know I'm in the same boat.

Thanks, I really appreciate that. It's good to know that I'm not the only one.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I think I do have BD, but my biggest issue is the loose skin that I can not see past. So when I look in the mirror, even though I am wearing a size 2 I see myself as huge because I know what my body looks like under the clothes. I am disgusted by myself on a daily basis, every time I see myself naked in the mirror. my boyfriend and other people close to me reassure me that I shouldnt be so hard on myself, and I guess I know deep down that I shouldnt. However, it doesnt change the fact that my self esteem is much lower now after losing over 100 pounds than it wa at my biggest.

I do have good days and bad days, and I went to counseling for a while that helped. But I think it is going to take a lot of time before I can accept that this body is mine for good. I wish I could just be happy and proud of where I am, not still feel so bad about myself.
  • steph6467
    steph6467 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at maintenance? To be blunt, for most people getting to the point of eating at or above maintenance after dieting is not a long term struggle. Statistics bear out that *most* people gain back some (or all) of the weight lost and over time it's hard to stay at goal. I'm sure there are some people who really do struggle to get out of deficit mode after a few weeks or months, but if that's the case you may need to consider whether you've crossed into eating disorder zone. :/

If you are brand new to maintenance, give yourself some time to adjust to your 'new' body and calorie goals. If you are still losing weight a month from now and feeling like you're dipping into unhealthy zone, don't be afraid to talk to a counselor. This body image stuff can really mess with your head.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I still do things like turn sideways to get through a turnstile, but I don't have to any more ..
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Same here, I've lost 65lb's now, and still don't feel like I look "good enough." Not quite at goal yet, still have 15lb's to go. Hoping that last 15lb's will come off where I need it to! So tired of this belly! On the other hand, I've had 2 kids, and I got huge with both of them, especially my last one. Gained a lot of weight in my belly, and my LO was 10lb's to boot, so yeah....my belly was HUGENORMOUS! Lol. Anyway, don't know if it will ever look even remotely normal again. :( Oh well, I'll just keep truckin' n see what the end product looks like. :happy:
  • fkim13
    fkim13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I have now got down to 120lb but I look at myself every day in the mirror and just think i still look fat. I am trying to maintain at the moment but cant eat my calories and always leave at least 100. I thought I would feel great at the weight I am now and people are telling me I look good but I dont understand why I dont feel that way, I keep thinking I am going to wake up in the morning and the weight will have gone back on, I am going to try and loose a little more and hopefully that will make me feel better. I also worry that I wont every feel happy with my weight. :smile:
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I tend to have this issue as well. Last week I started eating at maintenance (up from deficit) and doing strength training because I realized I really am not seeing myself clearly. I am 5' 3", small bones, and fluctuate around 103 lbs (my highest weight a few years ago was 149). This is the first time I've ever really been "thin" since childhood, so my mind does play some tricks.

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but last week I took a picture of myself and looked at it - I looked much thinner to myself there than I did looking in the mirror 5 minutes earlier....just goes to show how much the mind can deceive the eyes.....

I still struggle with this every day, but it's important to remind yourself that it's in your head! :)
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I haven't really experienced this issue as I'm nowhere near my goal, and despite what I've lost it's not super noticeable. However, if you have any clothes that you used to wear when you were bigger, take that and then take something that fits you now and hang up the current weight shirt over the old weight shirt. Or pants if that's where you saw the biggest difference. It might be a handy reminder that you really are smaller than you see yourself. It's a nice visual representation of your journey.

I did had to do that with a particularly tiny friend who didn't realize how much smaller she was than me. Turned out we could fit two of her inside of me. :drinker:
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I think it's something we all have to deal with to a greater or lesser degree. I was fat for a long time. I've only been thin for a year. I have to accept that it will take a while to see myself the way I really am. I also have the issues with loose skin and knowing that I'll never have the flat, firm body I want. I think that exacerbates the BD issue.

I rely on pictures more than the mirror when I'm feeling particularly down. For some reason I'm able to be more objective looking at photographs. I can see myself how others see me, and it really does help.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    This is very common. If I lose 10 lbs, to me I still look exactly the same. Stick out in the same places, etc. Have a hard time returning to eating normally. I think it is normal to some extent. Change is hard. When you have a certain mindset for an extended period of time, it takes time to change it. But it will change. I wouldn't go so far as to call it BD. I think it's normal to feel confused for a time when your body has changed so much!
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I still do things like turn sideways to get through a turnstile, but I don't have to any more ..

Haha! I did stuff like that for awhile myself - I'd find myself sitting way back from the table (because my boobs and stomach used to be in the way). :D

I wanted to chime in and say that I also struggled with this for awhile after reaching my goal. It took me about 3-4 months before my eyes and my brain and my body all sync'd up. I FINALLY saw myself properly. I likened it to the "phantom limb" phenomenon - y'know, when people lose a leg and still feel it? I think it's similar.

The thing I really worked hard on protecting myself from was feeling *bad* about myself. It was hard at first. Initially I had discouraging thoughts like, "well at least when I was overweight, I had soft, full cheeks - now I have sunken cheeks with "old lady" lines in them" or "see? you did all this hard work and you STILL don't look good". I had to stop myself and say, "NO. Stop. You are beautiful. You are healthy. Are you going to have some cosmetic consequences due to your poor eating choices all those years (like a little saggy skin in the butt)? Yes. But that's life. That's the choice you made. Let the saggy butt be a reminder to NEVER let yourself go like that again. But look at you NOW! You DID it. You lost that weight! You reached your goal! You look AMAZING in this dress. You rock those size 4 jeans!!"

A lot of self-talk really helps.

Also, get a full-length mirror and put on your favorite outfit. Then stare at yourself. Take deep breaths. Turn this way, and that. Look at yourself from different angles. Breathe deeply and say to yourself, "This is Me. This is Me." Find some pants or a skirt from when you started. Take off everything but your bra and put on the skirt. Hold it out from yourself and turn sideways. Stare at it. Look at the difference. Breathe and say, "This is me. I am healthy. Even if I don't particularly like how I look right now, I WILL eventually. This is temporary. It's just a trick of the brain." I would maybe do this once a week, for 5-10 mins at a time. Do it more if you think you need to.

Lastly, find a photo of yourself from the beginning of your journey. Put on your favorite outfit and take a full-body "selfie" in the mirror and put the two pics side by side. Stare at them. Breathe and absorb it. Look at how far you've come and let the positive feelings of victory and success wash over you.

Eventually - one day you'll wake up and everything is synchronized. It's exhilarating. It WILL happen. Be patient. And do NOT talk badly to yourself, EVER. Speak positively, meditate, and absorb the beautiful person you've become! Good luck!
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    How long have you been in maintenance? It does take some time to get your head wrapped around it. I've been maintaining for a few months now, and am just now getting to the point where I don't cringe every time I see red in my diary. In fact, I've been having quite a few red days lately! Rather than focusing on staying under my calorie goal as I had been for the last year, now I try to meet or exceed it, and pay more attention to macros that calories, trying to ensure I'm getting enough protein. Switching my focus from calories to macros had helped.

As for BD, I've had that forever and always will. Even at 115lbs, I thought I had a pot belly and big *kitten*. For whatever reason, I didn't seem to mind the pot belly and big *kitten* as much at 170lbs. I'm 124lbs now, and am just starting to get comfortable in my own skin (even if it is loose and scarred).
  • niknokd
    niknokd Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I am 5'0 and more than a year ago I lost about 15 lbs to get to my goal weight of 105. I felt so skinny and awesome for a few months, then it kind of wore off and in my head I was still "the chubby girl." Then, due to stress and finals and lack of appetite in May 2013 I unintentionally lost 7 pounds and went down to 98. I felt skinnny and awesome again, and I have more or less maintained this weight yet I've begun to feel so self conscious again and I still worry that I am "the chubby girl." You're not alone in feeling this, the best advice I can give is to just remind yourself you're awesome and dont be too hard on yourself.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I don't think of myself as fat anymore, I went from 174 to 128 and am 5'8". I just want to tighten everything up and I don't care if it takes two more years, I am exercising at my own pace and keeping my food plan steady.

I do think it is more about feeling good and a high energy level more than looks now.
  • cyoka13
    cyoka13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. It is kind of a difficult topic to discuss because you have reached your goal weight but are still not at 100% acceptance of where you are.

I am 5'4" and between 123-127 depending on the day. I am very proud of the weight that I have lost, but feel like I could still do better. I have no desire to lose any more weight. But I think I my body-comp could be better.

To achieve what I would like, I need to weight train. However, I do not have the $$ to put into a gym membership with a lifting heaving program, even though that is what I need to do to achieve what I want.

My best advice for the moment: Celebrate what you have accomplished. Try on old clothes, look at old pics... you will be amazed with yourself :)

Keep up the awesome work!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Just the opposite here. Started at 212 down to 146.4 this morning. I truly believe I looked better at around 157 or more. But what is important to me is my lab reports. My heart really does not care how I look but how hard I make it work.

Best to you all on your journey's.

Shirley in Oregon
  • kezzola
    kezzola Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm about half way into my weight loss journey - have about 30 lbs to go. I've gone down almost 2 sizes in clothes but I still can't bring myself to buy anything fitted. I just keep buying the old loose styles just a smaller size. Common sense tells me that being 30 lbs overweight doesn't make me enormous but somewhere in my brain I'm obviously still convinced that I can't wear anything fitted. I look at clothing in shops and just reject the tight clothing as unsuitable for me. I've been wondering how long it will take me to finally let go of the "fat image" I have of myself.
  • Shawver83
    Shawver83 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think I have this in reverse. I was always thin all my life, then gained 50 lbs during pregnancy and have not lost an ounce of it, even though my son is nine years old. I was a size 6 pre-pregnancy and I'm now a 16. I don't realize how big I am sometimes. I'll grab something off the rack, and just by eyeballing it I think it looks huge and will probably be a bit big on me, then when I actually try it on it's too small. I catch a glimpse of my reflection or see a photo and I actually don't recognize myself at first, it's always a shock how big I've gotten.