Having a hard time dropping weight.

Options
I have been working out every morning for 25 minutes. I am using T25 five days a week. On the weekend I am active but I do not exersice. I have cut out sweets, bread, pasta and really all bread types of carbs (crackers, chips etc.) I am watching calories and keeping them to 1000-1100 a day. Currently I weigh 140. When I started T25 two and 1/2 weeks ago I weighed 139. My goal weight in a perfect world would be 128. I just dont seem to be losing weight. Am I rushing things? Will the weight eventially come off? I am getting a little discouraged. I feel better but I was really hoping to have seen more than a 1 pound weight loss after 2.5 weeks of eating very healthy and exersicing. Your thoughts? Could use some encouragement here. Thank you!:smile:

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You could probably eat a bit more but most likely the issue is that you started a new exercise regime that's causing your muscles to retain some extra water. Once you get over that hump you'll probably start seeing results.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem like enough food at all.
  • supratt
    Options
    If you were truly eating only 1000-1100 calories each and every day, you would have lost more than 1 lb over 2.5 weeks, all other things being equal. Are you sure you are measuring your calories accurately? Do you weigh and measure everything (don't just guess)? A small handful of sultanas is 120 cals. A teaspoon of olive oil is 120 cals. All these "little things" can really add up.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Your math is off. If your numbers were correct, you'd be losing weight. So check your math again, chances are your calories are much greater than you think, and your calories expended through exercise are much less than you think. If you have been creating a calorie deficit of any kind, you would be losing weight. If you aren't losing weight, it's because you're not creating a calorie deficit. That's really all there is to it. :drinker:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Remember that our bodies tend to hold onto extra water weight when we start a new exercise routine because it floods sore muscles with water to help cushion and repair them. This can mask any fat loss that's happening.

Are you weighing your foods or guestimating portions? Are you eating back exercise calories and if so are you using a heart rate monitor or MFP estimates?
  • Marsidote
    Marsidote Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 weeks in doing T25. I've only seen 3.5 lbs lost, but almost 10 inches. I think that's common with this workout. I LOVE IT!! Of course I want 30 lbs off, butt inches rock too ;)
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have been working out every morning for 25 minutes. I am using T25 five days a week. On the weekend I am active but I do not exersice. I have cut out sweets, bread, pasta and really all bread types of carbs (crackers, chips etc.) I am watching calories and keeping them to 1000-1100 a day. Currently I weigh 140. When I started T25 two and 1/2 weeks ago I weighed 139. My goal weight in a perfect world would be 128. I just dont seem to be losing weight. Am I rushing things? Will the weight eventially come off? I am getting a little discouraged. I feel better but I was really hoping to have seen more than a 1 pound weight loss after 2.5 weeks of eating very healthy and exersicing. Your thoughts? Could use some encouragement here. Thank you!:smile:

No adult human being should be eating under 1,200 first of all.

Do you mind sharing your age and height? I want to check your BMR.
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Remember that our bodies tend to hold onto extra water weight when we start a new exercise routine because it floods sore muscles with water to help cushion and repair them. This can mask any fat loss that's happening.

Thanks for this post. I did not know this about the water weight with new exercise routines and sore muscles.
  • BobbieOhare
    BobbieOhare Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough. You should be eating at minimum 1200 calories and especially since you are working out. I think if you tried uping your calories with more protein and veggies then you will continue to loose. Also, you are so close to your goal weight so it is gonna start coming off a lot slower. Your body tries to hold on to as much fat as possible especially in the colder months. Have you been taking your measurements? You should try that instead of worrying about the scale. Good Luck and you are doing great so don't give up.
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I started at 145 in the beginning of September and just now I am at 139 after following MFP pretty well (some days I go over) and I try to exercise everyday. I thought I could lose at least 2 lbs a week to get to my goal weight of 125 (id def. take 128 as well). It's going slower than id like but I'm not giving up and you shouldn't either. Are you taking measurements? I don't but if you're following T25 you probably should. I bet you've lost inches! I'm sending you a friend add!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I agree that you are probably eating more food than you think you are because otherwise you would be losing weight pretty quickly, especially with such intense workouts.

When you figure out that you are eating more than you think, you might want to set your goals in MFP to lose maybe 1 pound per week. I also advise you make sure you eat that full 1,200 or thereabouts that MFP gives you, and then eat your exercise calories back.

Make sure you measure and/or weigh all food and include in your diary everything you put in your mouth. It's the only way to accurately track.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Definitely use a tape measure. You'll be pleasantly surprised, I bet :)
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I definitely think you're headed in the right direction by dropping a lot of the grains from your diet. Have you ever considered trying Paleo/Primal? VLC with a good intake of healthy fats and proteins was exactly what my body needed. I dropped about 20 pounds in a month when I switched over to Paleo, with no added exercise (on my feet 8-10 hours a day, going to the gym after that is never fun, haha). Obviously not everyone's results will be as drastic as mine, but I found it very easy to switch. Go for 15% intake of carbs, and definitely get the healthy fats in (avocado, almond butter, etc.). I would also suggest cutting back on cardio and doing more lifting. Oh, and definitely up your calories to AT LEAST 1200. That way you won't gain the weight right back when you try to go into maintenance intake. Good luck :)
  • mrskhill
    Options
    I am sure that is the problem. I am recording what I eat here. I am using the calories that other people have suggested to the the things I eat. I know it is not exact. I just figured it was close. Honestly, I have really have not changed the way I eat a whole lot. I have always gone lite on the white carbs and have eaten lots of veggies and protiens. The biggest shift has been cutting out the sweets. I feel better, I have thinnned in the face but the scale has not moved much. I keep moving between 140 and 139. It has been three weeks. I will check with the tape measure. The goal has been to fit into the clothes I have worn most of my adult life. Over the last year I have moved up a size. I figure it is either invest in losing weight or invest in new clothes. I just never realized it would be this difficult. Oh, and I REALLY dont want to have to weigh my food. I am just not ready for that kind of committment. I workout, I am eating completely healthy. I dont drink or smoke. I thought diet and exersice would be enough.
  • foofooboopeep
    foofooboopeep Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    From what I have heard, the program is like a shortened version of Insanity. When I tried that over a year ago, I felt myself gaining muscle but the scale was not moving much. I just assumed the fat was being replaced with muscle. This could maybe be the case here?
  • snomelt
    Options
    I have about the same weight loss goals as you. I started at 139.5 and have gone down as low as 135.5 back in mid-Sept. I'm back up to 138.5. I did get sick and quit exercising for a week and have not been able to get that low again. I've been fluctuating between 137 and 138.5. The one thing that was different when I was losing weight is I was allowing myself 1,300 calories per day. A couple weeks ago I switched my calorie intake to 1,100 per day and quit logging fruits and vegetables. I made the change to model the calculations on Weight Watchers. My husband is following that program with great success.

Anyways, I'm back to 1,300 calories. As others have stated, and I agree from experience, you may need to up your calorie intake. I was happy to see a couple people with the same weight loss goals as mine. I wish you the best of luck!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

1. You don't have to cut out any specific foods to lose weight, only eat at a caloric deficit.
    2. Do you weight and measure everything you eat? Because if you don't you could be eating far more than you think you are.
    3. If you do start to weigh an measure everything (assuming you aren't now), you should eat more than 1000-1100 calories a day unless you are under 4'8" tall.
    4. Opening your diary could help people give you better advice and see if you're eating a nutritionally balanced diet (macros and micros)
    5. You don't have much weight to lose so unless you want to lose a disproportionate amount of muscle to fat, then you only want to lose slowly. Trying to go fast will just catabolize your muscles, leaving you weaker, metabolically depressed and flabbier looking. Slow loss at this point is key.

Summary:
    Meticulous calorie counting is extremely useful, eating enough for slow weight loss is highly recommended to maintain existing lean body mass.

Good luck.
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options

1. You don't have to cut out any specific foods to lose weight, only eat at a caloric deficit.
    2. Do you weight and measure everything you eat? Because if you don't you could be eating far more than you think you are.
    3. If you do start to weigh an measure everything (assuming you aren't now), you should eat more than 1000-1100 calories a day unless you are under 4'8" tall.
    4. Opening your diary could help people give you better advice and see if you're eating a nutritionally balanced diet (macros and micros)
    5. You don't have much weight to lose so unless you want to lose a disproportionate amount of muscle to fat, then you only want to lose slowly. Trying to go fast will just catabolize your muscles, leaving you weaker, metabolically depressed and flabbier looking. Slow loss at this point is key.

Summary:
    Meticulous calorie counting is extremely useful, eating enough for slow weight loss is highly recommended to maintain existing lean body mass.

Good luck.

This. Especially #1. I don't see any reason to cut out carbs unless you tend to binge on them or they don't satiate you. Maybe replace more of them with protein to be full, but there's no reason to completely cut something you enjoy, a deficit is all that's needed IMO.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I am sure that is the problem. I am recording what I eat here. I am using the calories that other people have suggested to the the things I eat. I know it is not exact. I just figured it was close. Honestly, I have really have not changed the way I eat a whole lot. I have always gone lite on the white carbs and have eaten lots of veggies and protiens. The biggest shift has been cutting out the sweets. I feel better, I have thinnned in the face but the scale has not moved much. I keep moving between 140 and 139. It has been three weeks. I will check with the tape measure. The goal has been to fit into the clothes I have worn most of my adult life. Over the last year I have moved up a size. I figure it is either invest in losing weight or invest in new clothes. I just never realized it would be this difficult. Oh, and I REALLY dont want to have to weigh my food. I am just not ready for that kind of committment. I workout, I am eating completely healthy. I dont drink or smoke. I thought diet and exersice would be enough.

It depends on how many sweets you eat, calorie-wise. Cutting out sweets and adding in exercise will drop some weight (if you don't eat something else high-calorie to replace the sweets), but it takes a long time! And it won't drop a whole lot of weight unless your sweets were pretty calorie-heavy. They could be, lol. They are one of my big problems when left to my own devices.

That's basically all I have to do (if I include cheese and wine as well), but to see the weight come off quickly at all, you need an additional deficit. If I had the patience, I'd just do that again with no additional deficit. I don't have as much patience this time!

Oh, you can also put back on the lbs lost over a couple of years, too, by adding back in the sweets and not exercising as much, bwahaha! That's why I'm here ;)
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I REALLY dont want to have to weigh my food. I am just not ready for that kind of committment.

You're not going to get an accurate sense of your intake until you begin to faithfully record it. You are probably under-estimating the energy you are consuming and/or overestimating the energy you are burning. If you aren't ready for that commitment then your results are unlikely to change.

The GOOD news is that it doesn't take more than a few weeks before you start to get a much better sense of your portion size and you probably won't have to go on measuring forever. The smartphone app for myfitnesspal has a couple of great features, like barcode scanner and frequent foods list that make this much, much easier.

I thought diet and exersice would be enough.

It will be. It is. Right now you just haven't got the balance quite right. You aren't alone. Most of us start out the same.

One final thought, and this is something I fall foul of all the time. I tend to take weekends off the dieting and eat freely. The intent is not to go overboard but actually it's really easy to overindulge a little on Friday night (couple beers and some dessert), a lot on Saturday (eating out, bottle of wine) and a little on Sunday (eating well with friends). Before you know it you've cranked up 3000 excess calories and undone all the good work